Are You Ready For an EMP?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hermitt, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I just started reading this book --> One Second After. It is written by a guy, William Forstchen, who is pretty much an expert on EMPs. I am only into the first 100 pages, but it is totally amazing how fast everything goes to hell when there is no power, no communication, etc.

This book was cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read.

More about it here on Amazon.....

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-Af...tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1414271297&sr=8-1

2. It will happen, just a matter of time when the big one hits us.

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

As a person who works in the electrical field, I guarandamntee you things will get catastrophically stupid, in a very short period of time.... I

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I get a kick out of how anyone can claim he is an expert on something that has never actually happened.

Look at the Y2K scare that everyone was so worried about.

I mean sure, scientifically, things should happen a certain and specific way given some specific situation. But then, scientifically, bumblebees can't fly.

So yeah, I'm sure things will suck in some places, and some stuff will temporarily quit working. Of course, in 90% of the places, where no nukes went off, nothing will be affected.

But really, it's the panic that will be the worst. The people on the freeway stranded when their car dies, or the apartment building where the water quits pumping and the elevators stop.

If everyone just takes a breath and stays at home for a day or three, most of the problems will be taken care of. It's not like we haven't had major storms wipe out electrical grids and such.

Best bet...get spare parts now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  5. I built a Faraday cage to house a shortwave radio. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. And yes, I read the book - encouraged me to be proactive in order to deal with some what if situations.

6. jcwit

jcwit Member

And they thought while developing the atomic bomb that it might ignite the atmosphere and destroy the whole earth.

7. Hermitt

Ajole, You owe it to yourself to read this book. Electromagnetic Pulses are real. We've known about them ever since we first detonated atomic bombs. We are so dependant on electronics to run and monitor everything in our lives that when all that is suddenly fried, utter chaos starts to ensue in less than a week. And when dead bodies start to pile up with no way to dispose of them, it gets ugly really quick......

2 or 3 EMPs detonated over the United States isn't going to only knock out a few cities and towns here and there, it will cause a total collapse of the entire USA.....

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No it won't. The USA was here for over 100 years before electricity was commonplace, and despite the doom and gloom of the media, it can survive a few EMPs.

Seriously, things would be a mess...but my heck, the whole country doesn't fall apart just because electronic things don't work for a week or two.

Do we REALLY think the banks are just going to be shut down, and lock the doors forever? The utilities are going to just throw in the towel and walk away from the grid? Farmers are going to be suddenly unable to let their crops keep growing for a while? Dead bodies will just be left in the street? Really?:cool:

Yeah, things will be bad in certain places, in certain industries, and I'm certain the gov't will do things that make it worse for some, but better for others.

But despite the Sci-Fi fantasies that pass for risk assessment in the popular media, we will not be descending into the Stone Age overnight.:rolleyes:

9. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Ajole we do not have the major transformers on hand to replace the ones that fail in the massive substations that step down the super high voltage lines that cross the country. Those transformers can take 2 years to build so the grid will be down a year or more. Isolated spots may come back up but a lot of places will be down for a long time. No water, no food coming in from processing plants that require electricity. Crops won't get harvested because modern farm equipment is computer controlled to get the best fuel use per hour. Wells won't be pumping water, sewage plants will stop running and places that use lift pumps will see it back up into houses.

Civilization is a thin veneer that will rapidly fall apart as people struggle for survival. 1 emp at the right height over the central USA can take out the entire country and most of the inhabited parts of Canada and northern Mexico. They do not know for sure if it will stop all cars, the steel body acts as a faraday cage and might protect the computer systems.

Congress has refused to address this and require the utilities to spend less than 1% of their yearly profits installing protection devices on transformers that would disconnect them from the grid. If they are not connected to long wires they will survive. Greed could kill this country!

10. Bull

I've seen people get pissy being told their power was going to be off for a few days....... If they know it's going to be off for weeks, cities will go apesh*t..... The burbs will struggle, and country towns will manage just fine.

11. jcwit

jcwit Member

NEH! The Amish Will take over.

Remember the part about the 'Meek shall inherit the Earth'.

12. Bull

We got Amish and Mennonites all over MO.....

13. jcwit

jcwit Member

Amazingly the electronics did not go down during the above ground test we did in the 40's & 50's.

Notice I said "we", I was part of what was left of the Manhattan Project back in the 60's, by then it was called DASA.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  14. jcwit

jcwit Member

Ya! I know, I've taken Amish down to the Salem area.

15. Hermitt

without refrigeration, most food will go bad in a few weeks, when you start talking about millions and millions of people that start looking for food and water from the larger cities... and killing anyone in their way to get it, it will become a chaotic free for all. the rioting and looting for everything from dry goods to medical supplies will be rampant. The hordes of people will be like locusts devouring everything in their path.

16. Bull

They're all over north western MO, and lake Stockton areas.

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My point exactly. Where do we suppose the real American way of life is located, anyway?:cool:

Umm...no, it won't.

The refrigerated food will be quickly consumed, very very few places have more than a few days worth of food in a refrigerated or frozen state. Without electricity, the plants won't be producing more.

What will happen is, the stuff that will rot will get eaten up, and the canned stuff will be up for grabs. Which in the cities will be ugly...but in other places, no big deal. Once that's over, things will be really interesting, as people try to get fresh food, etc.

Yeah, things will be bad in some places. In other places, not so much.

Yeah. But no. The millions will kill each other off for a while, the survivors will then come looking...to find out we in the country were right about owning guns, know how to shoot, cooperate in defense of our communities, and ain't gonna put up with their shenanigans.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  18. Bull

It is..... But the heathens won't stay out of the way, once they loot the cities.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Thank goodness so many places in America don't get their power that way.

And you think farmers are too dumb to figure out how to do it manually, like they did 20 years ago?

Yep, that will suck. Fortunately, people have been pumping water for millennia without electricity. We'll get it going again. It may not flow out of your tap, and like I said, large cities are screwed, but most places will make it work.

That's kind of my point. No one actually knows just what will actually be affected.

Judging by the news, that veneer of civilization is a joke already.:cool:

Yeah, it could.

So...people scream about Obama care, high taxes, and all the rest. What happens when the utilities raise prices high enough to pay for hardening?

It's not congress, its not the utility, it's your next door neighbors that would come unglued.;)

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    True. I forget so many of you live in flat lands.

Out here, the few that actually made it over the mountain to get here wouldn't stand much chance against the locals defending their home. Not much sympathy for heathens out here. :cool: