Ares Armory

Discussion in 'Consumer Reviews' started by Jed, Mar 15, 2015.

1. I recently bought a reduced friction bolt carrier group for my AR-15 build. I went with Ares Armory for a number of reasons, not the least of which was the sale price on their "reduced friction bolt carrier group", about 1/2 off the normal price.

My order was confirmed and shipped quite quickly, arriving on my door step 3 days after I placed m order. The packaging was good and the bolt arrived lightly oiled but not dirty or dusty. The BCG dropped into my upper with no problems and seems to operate well. The finish on the BCG is excellent, very clean lines with no roughness or blemishes in the finish, even without oil the finish feels very slick and smooth. I am very impressed with this item and with my dealings with Ares Armory.

There is one down side to this BCG. The Ares Armory name is clearly visible on the BCG when the dust cover is open, not a big deal but I don't like brand names on my stuff. If I want to advertise for a company I will do as as I am doing now, but I don't like my guns to be a constant visual advertisement.

Only time will tell if this BCG is any good but so far I am very pleased.

Overall I would give this product and the company a 4 out of 5.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/blk_nitride_bcg_reduced_friction

2. After a few trips out the reduced friction BCG seems to be a winner. I have had exactly 0 failures to fire, 0 failures to eject, and 0 failures to load with numerous manufacturers rounds. While the BGC is the not only reason you may have the above issues it is one of the links in the failure chain. My future BCG's will be this same maker and model.

3. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Jed, I have never had any issues with my DPMS bolt carriers. Are there bcg that have issues?

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

The main issues with a BCG would be the extractor spring donuts they are prone to ripping. The rubber inserts can last a lifetime. the ejector can become stuck and the bolt carrier key can become clogged do not use a pipe cleaner or q tip inside 99% of clogs are caused by those 2 things. gun cleaner/brake cleaner only.

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    That happened to an M4 (a TPE one in the arms room, so a previous unit did it) in Iraq. I twisted a machine screw into the mass of what felt like q-tip remnants. It wouldn't pull out, it was so well wedged. I had to use the pliers on my Gerber to pull on the screw, while my supply sergeant held onto the bolt carrier. It took about three reinsertions of the screw into the mass before it pulled free, but when it came out, the weapon functioned just fine, again.

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

It would of been easier to remove the carrier and put a new on one or to get the crap out of it. :p:p And re stake it.

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    That would have required faith in the same 3rd Shop that had completely ignored the gas key in the first place. They probably would have replaced the gas key but not staked it...

8. Dirt and fouling can cause issues with the BCG keeping the firearm from cycling or firing. The idea behind the low friction BCG (I think) is that with the lower friction there is less likelihood of fouling or contamination causing an issue. If you have a BCG you like, right on. you probably have a good one. I was just putting up this review for the one I bought.