Arisaka Model 99, any guru's here?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by SWAGA, Feb 28, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

So I got suckered into buying an Arisaka Model 99...
    Couple of dings in the stock but otherwise OK.
    Metal buttplate, no bajonet.
    Chrysanthemum intact as are the anti aircraft wing sights.
    Being in the gun buying panic that I was I didn't check for matching numbers.
    But otherwise the gun appears to be intact and unmolested.
    So far I've figured out it's an early one based on the sights and metal butt plate.
    I paid $159 including tax....
    Any suggestions to narrow down year or factory or value?
    I realize in the pic the symbol to the right of the serial # is not in the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Swaga let me get home and I will let you know what I can. I used to collect them and have the information on them at home. I can tell you two things right off, it is a captured rifle and it is not a school rifle.

3. HP-C9

HP-C9 Member

Suckered? With that Mum I'd bought that in a heart beat for $159 and I don't know very much about the Arisaka at all.

4. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

One is now on my list. That and a Mosin and I'll have the WWII line complete.

5. Very nice!! my Dad and I are collecting guns that was used in WW1 and WW2 our selves... we have some nice pre 1890 stuff but we are now slowly working on the other... since BHO the prices of those guns have gone NUTS!!

6. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

It will be a lot easier getting the 91/30, than any of the Arisaka models. I have always wanted a Type 38...the 6.5 x 50mm is a softer shooting round than the 7.7 x 58mm.

7. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

When I swapped my JCP for the Mosin the LGS had an Arisaka sitting there. It almost came home with me. I'd probably still be sleeping on the couch if it did, but it was tempting

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Couch ain't so bad. Watch what you want on TV, kitchen is nearby and the b!tch don't steal the covers. I've been sleeping on mine for years. Can you tell?

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ha...that's what you think!
    This is a list..it's not all the countries, and it's not all their guns. As you can see....it's a lot.;)

Arisaka Type 38 Rifle Japan
    Arisaka Type 44 Rifle Japan
    Arisaka Type 99 Rifle Japan
    BRNO Vz 24 Rifle Czechoslovakia *
    BRNO Vz 33 Carbine Czechoslovakia
    Carcano M1891 Rifle Italy
    Carcano M1938 Rifle Italy
    FEG 35 M Rifle Hungary
    FN Mauser M30 Rifle Greece
    Gewehr 41 Rifle Germany
    Gewehr 43 Rifle Germany
    Gewehr 98 Rifle Germany
    Johnson M1941 Rifle United States
    Krag-Jørgensen Rifle Norway
    Lee-Enfield No. 1 Rifle Australia*
    Lee-Enfield No. 4 Rifle United Kingdom *
    Lee-Enfield No. 5 Rifle United Kingdom
    M1 Carbine Rifle United States
    M1 Garand Rifle United States*
    M4 Survival Rifle United States
    Mannlicher-Schönauer Rifle Austria
    MAS 36 Rifle France
    Mauser Kar98k Rifle Germany *
    M28 Mosin Rifle Finland
    M39 Mosin Rifle Finland
    Mosin-Nagant 1891 Rifle Russia
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 Rifle Russia *
    Mosin-Nagant M38 Rifle Russia
    Mosin-Nagant M44 Rifle Russia i
    Springfield M1903 Rifle United States
    Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 Rifle Austria
    Tokarev SVT-40 Rifle Russia
    Type 24 Rifle China
    Type 88 Rifle China

I have the starred ones.

I'd love to find an Arisaka, for $159 I'd have jumped all over that deal SWAGA got.:)
    SWAGA, you got ammo? Just an hour ago, a guy asked me if I wanted a pile of 7.7 brass. Don't know the price, but it's here!;)

10. greg_r

Ok, Swaga. This is what I came up with. And I am basing this off the kana and serial number. I can not see an arsenal mark, but it should be a big circle over a little circle inside a circle. Your rifle appears to be an early type 99 model of 1939, built at the Nagoya arsenal. The kana identifies it as a 7 series rifle. A series is a block of 100,000, serial numbers went from 0 through 99,999. If I did my math right, yours is the 768,234th rifle turned out at that facility. (Some series did not have 100,000). That facility turned out 1,088,489 rifles. Keep in mind that some prototypes and last ditch rifles may not have had serial numbers. Nagoya arsenal operated from 1939 to 1945.

I believe this to be accurate, but can not guarantee it. Anyway, I did my best. Regardless, good find at a good price. Did you say yours was matching? A lot of Arisakas have mismatched bolts. I understand our service members were required to remove the bolts from souvenired rifles.

11. SWAGA

I would like to undergo the original unadulterated metal butt plate experience.
    I never planned on buying the Arisaka, I briefly handled it a couple of weeks ago when they first got it in.
    Looked up a little of its history and figured out what the side "wings" were for.
    Fully expected it to be stickered at $400-$600
    Been back twice since and never saw it hidden in their C&R corner.

Just happened to ask about it today and upon handling realized that it was more complete and unmolested then any of the gun show A's I've seen.
    It may or may not be missing a cleaning rod and it's missing the monopod and dustcover for sure.

For some reason I was under the impression it was a relatively weak cartridge but the ballistics are similar to the .303 British and it's apparently a pretty stout weapon.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGwQwXKMuNQ[/ame]

As far as identifying exactly the what and where...I'm still working on that.
    I can't identify the third most right marking under the 'mum'.
    I've just realized the image is mirrored for some reason as the 1st and the second are both a "9"

AS far as serial numbers the first symbol indicates series number "7".
    I forgot to put the arsenal symbol after the serial number in the frame.

My info comes from here:
    http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

Finding ammo is not as bad as i thought:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition/BI.aspx?Keywords=jap
    Unfortunately can't use the machine gun ammo...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.7×58mm_Arisaka

12. SWAGA

*Greg, you posted while I was writing. I didn't check for matching numbers. Any idea on "gun show private sale value" ?*

13. greg_r

Probably twice what you paid for it. I have seen them go for as much as a grand if the rifle is complete and all the serial numbers and markings match. A lot have different bolts and stocks. The 7.7 Japanese is no slouch. It was created to compete with the Springfields, Mausers, and Enfields.

I no longer own a 7.7 but I do have a 6.5 Japanese that I inherited from my wife's uncle. It is a school rifle, the mum is not ground but it is overstamped with three bars. Trying to figure out what they mean, usually the school rifle mums were overstamped with arsenal marks. Anyway, it's not worth much as it has been sporterized. Trying to find proper parts is frustrating! Family history says he brought it back from WWII. It's possible it was liberated, but I do not think it was captured. Being a school rifle already made it not the property of the Emperor, so there would have been no need for the mum to have been ground.

Military Rifles of Japan and Japanese Rifles of WWII are a couple of good books if you are interested and can still find them.

14. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Man, the one I saw was marked $139. Makes me want to go back and take another look at it

15. SWAGA

Do as I say not as I do....

Research before you buy :D
    I went in to buy the Marlin after researching it for almost an entire evening satisfying myself it would be a good buy and walking in with a "walk away" price set in my mind.
    The 99 was a pure impulse buy based on maybe 5 min of webs surfing a couple of weeks ago.
    You could easily buy a modded or stateside assembled parts gun that is worth......$139..

* Liberal hypocrisy at work I guess....:rolleyes: *

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You eastern guys suck.:(

I've seen ONE Arisaka in person, ever. It had the monopod, wings, no dust over, no mum, but it was $350, when I was buying sub $200 Mausers. I should have bought it, but you know...instead, I bought a $125 Chilean 1895 Mauser.:eek:

The Arisaka is a very strong gun, stronger than any of the Allies guns. But as the war went on, the fit and finish went down.
    Some were chrome lined some weren't, and some of them are pretty shot out...you may want to slug the bore, and see if it's tight enough to shoot commercial stuff, or if you'll need to go oversized on reloads.

17. That is an ok price for the chromelined Type 99. They are nice shooting rifles, light and accurate. They were really the best WW2 bolt action used by the major power. If you keep it you find it will be a great shooter. Largely because of it being chromelined, the barrel will be excellent.

$159-$175 is about what they bring around. Both at dealer and at the shows. For some reason you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one around here.

18. SWAGA

Any ideas about decent ammo?

19. I like the Lee 185gr bullet and xx gr of IMR 4895. The xx gr used isn't the max, but still plenty of fps for anything in North America. It has proven to be accurate in a good number of Type 99s. Good enough for 440 yard shoots. Funny I just looked up and posted the load I use this week on a different forum. So if you want the info for that load, other powders, bullets, etc - I have them handy.

If you want to shoot a lot, it's DIY for ammo. Otherwise ammo is $2.00 a pop.