Article: What if Hillary Won’t Actually be a Disaster for Gun Rights?

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by lklawson, Aug 23, 2016.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

From: What if Hillary Won’t Actually be a Disaster for Gun Rights?

What if Hillary Won’t Actually be a Disaster for Gun Rights?
    Posted August 12, 2016 in Legal Issues, Opinion by Jon Stokes

I know you’re going to think this is crazy, and maybe it is, but hear me out. I’m trying to talk myself back from the “go on gunbroker and buy whatever’s left” ledge, and this is me thinking out loud. So here goes.

Hillary has campaigned on “war with the NRA,” but I take it as a given that she’ll jettison any part of what she has campaigned on for political advantage once elected. Obama did the same with his campaign promises in 2008, and he’s on track to be canonized as the Democratic Reagan.

Also, before I proceed, I should also call out the following very curious phenomenon that I’ve noticed: the same conservatives who believe Hillary would sell her own daughter into slavery for a smidgen of political advantage are simultaneously convinced that on this one issue of guns she’s going to stand on principle and fight the gun lobby to the death in a cage match. I don’t get it. She’s either a craven, calculating liar who says one thing and does another, or she isn’t. I happen to think she’s the former, which is why I don’t believe her when she says she’s going after guns.

To put it another way, for a Democrat to come out in favor of a new AWB and to claim that Heller was wrongly decided is like a Republican claiming to be pro-life and anti-deficit. It’s just part of the party catechism that you’re obliged to recite on the campaign trail, but you don’t actually have to do anything about it when in office.

So with this in mind, how big of a threat is HRC to gun rights, really?

The only gun control position that actually polls well is “universal background checks,” and I think mag capacity limits do okay, too. Both are impossible to enforce as a practical matter, and the latter wouldn’t make a lick of difference in mass shooting fatalities if it could be enforced (the answer to why this is the case is long-winded and involves actual data, which we have, on mag change times, practical rates of fire, average length of mass shootings and shots fired, etc. I’ll write about it one day.)

My point is this: is Hillary actually going to spend real political capital on an Assault Weapons Ban 2.0, given that most major gun control groups have actually abandoned the idea in a rare concession to reality and statistics? Even the Sandy Hook Promise group, made of the parents of murdered Sandy Hook children, aren’t pushing an AWB because it’s bad policy and even worse politics.

I’m coming around to the idea that the answer is no, she won’t do much about guns. She’ll make a real effort at passing universal background checks, make a token effort a mag limits, and maybe talk up the new AWB that’s circulating, but not actually invest in it.

The other thing she’ll no doubt do is continue the Obama admin’s serial attempts to torment lawful gun owners via capricious and non-sensical ATF rule changes about “armor piercing ammo,” ITAR, and so on. In this vein, there also might be an import ban on foreign-made “assault weapons,” so if you want a Galil or a SCAR or whatever, you should’ve bought one last month before they all disappeared from the shelves.

But as for legislation, I just don’t see her doing much.
    But, the Supreme Court!

I also don’t see her going to the mat for a SCOTUS judge that will overturn Heller. I think she has priorities other than Heller, and she’ll be willing to tolerate someone who’s soft on guns just to get them through confirmation. (Of course, if she gets a Democratic Senate who’ll confirm whatever she sends their way, then all bets are off.)

Again, the GOP analogy is instructive here. For most of my life, Republicans have been donating and voting and working the phones and going to the polls for Republican presidential candidates on promise that someday, somebody will overturn Roe v. Wade. Not only has it never happened, but it doesn’t look like it ever will. And why would the GOP actually want to overturn Roe v. Wade? It’s their best fundraising tool!

I think Heller (along with maybe Citizen’s United) is the Roe v. Wade of the Democratic party. They’re gonna rail against it, raise a ton of money on it, and never overturn it.

Maybe all of this is just wishful thinking on my part, given that Hillary is the most likely person to occupy the Oval Office a scant few months from now. But then again, maybe I’m the one being realistic, and all the folks who think Hillary will be the end of gun rights are the fantasists.

Of course, as I said above, if the Dems take both houses of congress or even just the Senate, then all bets are off. And a Democratic trifecta–POTUS, SCOTUS, and congress–would no doubt reverse many of the gun rights gains of the past two decades. So it’s not like this election is low-stakes, but rather maybe the real stakes for gun rights are in the down-ballot races and not so much in the headline contest.

OK, so his entire argument is 1) HIldabeast is lying to her base about what she'll be able to do in order to get elected 2) If Hildabeast gets POTUS and Congress turns over, then she can and will do what she's claiming to be able to do.

Logic much? [​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. The Second Amendment will be the first to go. The First Amendment will be the second to go. As Killary replaces more and more justices, many more freedoms will fall, until American becomes something we no longer recognize

3. rowiebowie

rowiebowie Supporting Member

Texas
    Sleep, sleep my children. Everything will be ok. Hillary won't take your guns. Her Supreme Court appointments won't overturn the 2nd Amendment (followed by sounds of peaceful snoring).

Huh, what? I've just woken up & feel so refreshed. Those hypnotic words worked on me. I'm buying it! This article completely turned me around. Hillary 2016!:sarcasm:

4. The scariest thought of all

Attached Files:

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    What if the moon were really made of cheese?

Same chance as Hillary not being a disaster.:cool:

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Glad you are not like Swaga, you will actually post an article you
    do not endorse :rofl: That really does SUCK! I don't believe
    Mr. Jon Stokes when he says he's telling himself this just to
    "bring him off the ledge of buying everything on Gunbroker"
    for a minute! Lib-Tard in gun journalist garb :p

7. Tomcat1108

Tomcat1108 Supporting Member

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/22/12484000/supreme-court-liberal-clinton

This article gives a good summation and prediction of what could happen if Hitlary ascends to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W. It's not pretty but it does not mention an attack on 2nd Amendment rights.

BLUF is that ANYONE, regardless of party affiliation, that is seeking more power and authority should be viewed with a healthy dose of skepticism.

8. Tomcat1108

Tomcat1108 Supporting Member

9. I for one am willing to give Hillary a chance to prove herself............right after she stops a Peterbuilt hauling a load of cattle on highway I40 at 90 mph by digging in her heels & stopping it with her bare hands.

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    That article is a combination of wishful thinking and trivialization of legitimate threats.

First of all, Obama has made some pretty serious attempts to take our guns. Just because it didn't work that time doesn't mean that it can't work the next time. The author even admits that a Democratic Congress would allow her to carry out her evil plans, via legislation and Supreme Court Justice confirmation.

Second of all, his lackadaisical attitude about executive orders is dumbfounding. Even though an executive order can't directly ban guns, it can certainly make their acquisition and ownership onerous. The same things goes for ammo. Those are not trivial matters to be disregarded.

The author needs to go revisit his random thoughts a bit--or quit huffing glue.

11. histed

histed Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

The naive author is pure sheeple.

"Hitlary won't destroy the Second Amendment, baa, baa. . ."

13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You really believe this will happen?
    REALLY?

Have a look at what President Obama and his admin tried to do as far as gun control and how much of it succeeded.....like what..nothing?
    What makes anybody think that HC will be able to do what Obama couldn't?
    I don't think so.

14. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Appoint more judges who don't believe in the 2nd.... Whether it's SC, fed, or state level, all that has to happen is more BS like the NH "assault weapon" ban to be introduced in every blue state, then upheld upon appeal by liberal leaning courts. There will likely never be a full repeal of the 2nd, just a castrated, red tape bloated, utterly useless version of it that they'll point to and act like its a blessing from them.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Then you are totally ignorant of the way American law works.:rolleyes:

Seriously...the next president will shape America over the next 10-20 years, and change it for the next 100 years, by changing the way the constitution is interpreted and applied to law via the SCOTUS, and won't have to pass or push a single law themselves.

Do you honestly not realize that?

And do you honestly believe that she wouldn't go absolutely bat crap crazy far left with her appointments?

I really can't tell if you just don't see it, if you just hate America, or if you just don't care.

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

17. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Things don't change in a heartbeat. It's a process. In the case of destroying the Second Amendment, the process has been going on in America for more than a century since New York City's Sullivan Act in 1911. If Hillary doesn't succeed, it won't be for lack of effort, spite or deceit.

18. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

We have a republican controlled congress and senate right now, that's why nothing is really getting done. Plus, obama has been attacking the reps for not "compromising" with him, yet his version of compromise is "if you don't do what I want, I'll go on TV and call you bullies and cry.".

If the dems get their magic 60 votes along party lines, then there will likely be loads of gun control measures introduced, and probably passed.

19. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Look what they did when Obama first took office. They rammed party-line measures through, unimpeded. It was very clear that Obama Care's math didn't work; they knew it, and much of America knew it, but they did it, anyway.

Their little sit-in in Congress was a manifestation of what they would have done if they'd had control. They didn't have the control, though, so staged a little temper tantrum sh!t show. They will do absolutely everything possible to finish the destruction of America.