As promised...

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by .40cal_in_Idaho, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Here are the rest of my folks' guns:

First, my Dad's Winchester Model 52 in .22LR:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, my Dad's Winchester Model 70 in .220 Swift (the bolt is silky smooth):
    [​IMG]

Check out the friggin scope! :D
    [​IMG]

Now, my Mom's Winchester Model 52 in .22LR:
    [​IMG]

And lastly, the VBR, as I now call it (Very Big Revolver):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The barrel on this thing is about 16.5 inches long. I had to use my calipers to get the approximate caliber, as there are no markings except for the name of the man that built it. It is somewhere between .44 and .45 cal.

As mentioned in my "Old Revolver" thread, my folks told me it won't fire. I looked it over, and can't see any reason why it would not fire. Not that I'd really want to. It is way too ungainly for one-handed operation, and only slightly less than ungainly for two-handed operation. The scope is actually a rifle scope. I certainly wouldn't want the gun that close to my head... :lol: :)

2. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Holy 1800's scope technology batman!

That pifle*(a new word made from pistol and rifle) looks freaking interesting. That scope on your dads .22 is nuts!

I imagine they have a lot of stories to tell. Great pics!

3. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

16.5" barrel on that pistol? you sure there's not a buttstock attachment laying around somewhere for that thing.

4. The only visible markings on the revolver are these:

V.E. Hubble (side of the Weaver mount)
    F1130 (Bottom of frame in front of the trigger guard)

Also, after just now looking at it, I'm even more sure I won't fire it. The grip frame is held to the cylinder frame by screws (not a one-piece frame).

ETA: I looked under the grips as well. No markings there.

5. I LOVE the scope on that .220 swift. I don't know why, but I like old scopes just as much as I do old war guns.

6. I'm gonna research this one. Its an intriguing gun, thats for sure!!

You do realize that almost all single action army based guns have the grip frames attached by screws including the ultra strong Rugers.

Single actions don't have one piece frames like your more common Smiths and Taurus double actions which usually have single piece frames.

7. I did not know that. Thanks.

I'll try to get some decent close-ups of the grip/cylinder frame(s).

8. Wow! That's really amazing!

9. Jag

Jag Member

Hey .40 Cal:

I'm not an expert or anything, but I do know a bit about revolvers. When a revolver "doesn't work", 90% of the time it has to do with the timing of the cylinder and a weak/broken hand spring (the little arm that comes out of the frame by the back of the cylinder that grabs the cylinder to push it around its axis). Assuming that all of the other operable parts are present in the gun, I'd check the timing on it to see if it might work (there are a few ways that you could fix it without having to send it in to a gunsmith).

Let us know what you find. Considering that revolvers are even more mechanically sound, durable, and simple than semi-autos, chances are that this gun might only need a little TLC to bring it back into an operable condition. Hope this helps somehow!!!

Sincerely,

Jag 8)

10. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Jag, Are you feeling well today? Are you the real Jag or just an impostor? Because that post does not scream the normal "Jag"... It's way too short. ;)

11. Very cool pics! Thanks for showing 'em.

12. Buddy on another forum has this to say so far:

13. Here are the close-ups:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know much about revolvers, but shouldn't there be an extractor in here?
    [​IMG]

14. Another member on the board had this to say:

15. Cool. Thanks for checking into it. First one I've ever seen like it.

16. browwiw

browwiw Member

So, are you shooting down a lot of Batwings with that Buntline?

17. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

that long scope isa unertl i think. i remember seeing one like that on an old springfield 03' *drool*

SW

18. Ya know, I didn't even think to check what kind it was. I'll do that, then update this post in a few.

ETA: It is a J.W. Fecker rifle scope. From what I could find, he was basically Unertl's competitor for a time. He also was in the habit of putting serial numbers on his scopes. Unertl worked for Fecker for a while before forming his own company. Fecker scopes were used by the USMC shooting team in the 1920's and '30's.

Markings:
    J.W. Fecker
    7287 (Serial Number)