Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some AA1680 powder, and some 40 grain V-Max for the 22 Hornet.

He had a couple of H&R revolvers. A 923 and a 32 S&W Top Break. Neither of them were in the best shape. He referred to the .22 as "a good tackle box gun for somebody" and the .32 as a "parts only" gun. I agree with his assessment. $100 each. I passed.

He also had a Raven .25acp. Looked exactly like the first semi-auto pistol that I bought for social work. Very clean, dosent look to have been fired much. He is standing firm at $125. I list my Raven during the Great Fire of ‘99. I thought maybe @adam01364 might chime in with his thoughts. I actually would of bought it except for something else that caught my eye, and I will need that $125 if I decide to buy that something else.

That "something else" is a Star Firestar 9mm Luger made in Eibar Spain. I have been warned many times to stay away from handguns made in Eibar - but I think that’s mostly in deference to the 32-20 revolvers that were made there. This seemed like a very well made pistol. It takes some of its design from the 1911 I think. It feels very wonderful in the hand. And heavy, but it IS all steel. It is an old fashioned (I did say it was all steel, didn’t I?) hammer fired single action with a single stack 7 round magazine. I wanted it, but was afraid of it. It is clean, looks almost new, and comes with 1 magazine, a plastic case, and a fitted leather holster. He has it tagged at $450 (and is known to stick to his prices).

I searched the web last night and found the pistol seems to be well liked. Got the G&A handgun of the year in 1991. The pistol was made in blue and stainless (this one is stainless) and the company went out of business in 1997. I was able to find spare magazines on line. They are in the $45 range. Prices for a used one seem to mostly run from $350 to $500 from what I was able to gather. Anyone have any info on this pistol? Attaching a picture from the web, the one at the LGS is at least as good looking as this, maybe even better.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gas Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just read that the stainless - they say Nickle plated ?? - were only made in 1997.

don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
From some unknown “expert” online….sounds like maybe you’re GtG.

“Reliability of the Firestar .45 was never a problem; they work very well indeed. Durability of the slide on some of the early production was a problem, however, as some were imperfectly cast, and had "cold-spots" in the casting where cracks would develop with use. The first signs of this are dimples on the flat sides of the slide forward of the ejection port and difficulty in dismounting the barrel from the slide due to slide stretch and narrowing of the opening between the rails. After this problem appeared the gates of the investment casting mold were relocated and the problem went away. I don't know any way to distinguish early from late slides, and in any event replacement slides are virtually unavailable.”

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Want to buy a 9? Hurry up and get yourself a Canik. Capacity, whoop-ass good triggers and built like a tank. Sorry I can't get there soon enough to twist your arm.

You're listing too many negatives about that brand of gun. It will go down in price the longer it sits there. I have no doubt about that.

·
Premium Member
5,803 Posts
I had an M43 at one point. Good gun, very reliable, though a bit heavy for carry. Sold it to a friend cuz I was convinced I wanted an EC9 Ruger. Shoulda kept the Firestar. I'd take another in a heartbeat at the right price

·
Super Moderator
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This particular LGS is open Tuesday through Saturday. Everybody but @TNTRAILERTRASH is talking good about it. Have not read a negative review. Plus it is all metal. It’s not a plastic fantastic sub compact high capacity wonder nine, but it has class!

I will be in the store Tuesday on my lunch hour. Unless somebody came in Saturday after I left, or comes in Tuesday before my lunch break, I will own it.

·
Super Moderator
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive always liked them. @cicpup has a couple I think.
Wish he would chime in. Haven’t heard from him in a while.

i feel pretty confident of what I an hoping to buy. It’s just 180 degrees from the Micro 9 craze going on today.

Still, I like it. I carry a full size 1911 quite often, this should be a breeze to carry.

I did find out there was an actual nickel version made in 1997. the stainless was apparently available from the beginning.

Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,014 Posts
Wish he would chime in. Haven’t heard from him in a while.

i feel pretty confident of what I an hoping to buy. It’s just 180 degrees from the Micro 9 craze going on today.

Still, I like it. I carry a full size 1911 quite often, this should be a breeze to carry.

I did find out there was an actual nickel version made in 1997. the stainless was apparently available from the beginning.
Get it.

And Trashy is right on the Caniks I'm partial to them as a carry gun and shooting targets. Which everyone knows how much I like them

But then there is the 1911s which are the bomb. And then the CZ styles. Damn it carry so many different guns its hard to pick a favorite carry. Which is why I have variety and to many fricking holsters and shit..

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,773 Posts
This particular LGS is open Tuesday through Saturday. Everybody but @TNTRAILERTRASH is talking good about it. Have not read a negative review. Plus it is all metal. It’s not a plastic fantastic sub compact high capacity wonder nine, but it has class!

I will be in the store Tuesday on my lunch hour. Unless somebody came in Saturday after I left, or comes in Tuesday before my lunch break, I will own it.
I take it that your lgs of note is closed Sunday and Monday...

You know what I'd say, don't listen to trashy and get the STAR ⭐

·
Super Moderator
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I take it that your lgs of note is closed Sunday and Monday...

You know what I'd say, don't listen to trashy and get the STAR ⭐
The Canik is well respected here and it comes at a good price point. It’s just not my cuppa tea. The only plastic pistols I really like are the ones with a steel chassis and the plastic is more or less just a glorified grip. My choice in semi auto pistols are really the 1911 and KAHR K9.

The Firestar M43 struck me as the result of a one night stand between the K9 and 1911. I am actually excited to hopefully pick this one up and will be disappointed if it is gone.

FWIW, with me saying all this, the pistol that is on my TEOTWAWKI list is actually the plastic framed Ruger P95DC. Go figure…..

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I own the stainless M43 (starvel finish). I just think it's a sexy mofo! They are heavy. I think I paid around 400'ish for it pre-covid so the price is right in there. I locked mine up when I first got it cuz I installed the the slide lock takedown pin wrong. I had to take it to the smithy to fix it. I wont make that mistake again.
I liked it so much that while it was at the smith i found a blued model and bought it. As far as function, I never had a problem with either one. The blued one came with the box and 2 mags. One mag has the plus 1 extension. I removed the mag drop safety springs from both of them so the mags drop freely. Easy to do and made a difference.

Wood Air gun Trigger Material property Gun barrel

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,773 Posts
Fantastic Pair!!!
View attachment 75653

Now how about this SNAFU? Sounds similar to my Browning Hi-Power debacle, where if one Installs the guide rod upside down, the slide will seize up in the rearward position...
I even knew this and still did it wrong, the eye on the back of the guide rod has such a subtle offset that it's almost unnoticeable. Except the gun knows...

·
Super Moderator
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you ever get it, OP? Mine feeds very reliably and is accurate.
Not had the chance to get back. Life got in the way. But I have not forgotten about it. I will likely get by that LGS coming Saturday. If it’s there I will purchase it.

If it’s not? Well…. @TNTRAILERTRASH and @moona11 have got me thinking about the CANiK pistols. I do not have a full size 9mm. The METE SFx is sort of calling to me. And I used to have a Taurus 809. That’s one of the few I let get away but should not have. Looking at the TH9 which is its predecessor. I am old fashioned and prefer a hammer gun over a striker fired one. Although I am sort of mellowing out over the striker fired guns.

A few others I am looking at are the Taurus PT92, always wanted the Beretta version, I would take either, and the Beretta PX4 storm. I "need" one in 9mm.

Honestly, if the Star M43 is still there, I will get it, the others …..probably not. But the star did serve to ignite a desire to buy another (un-needed) 9mm.

·
Just a Man
14,271 Posts
Not had the chance to get back. Life got in the way. But I have not forgotten about it. I will likely get by that LGS coming Saturday. If it’s there I will purchase it.

If it’s not? Well…. @TNTRAILERTRASH and @moona11 have got me thinking about the CANiK pistols. I do not have a full size 9mm. The METE SFx is sort of calling to me. And I used to have a Taurus 809. That’s one of the few I let get away but should not have. Looking at the TH9 which is its predecessor. I am old fashioned and prefer a hammer gun over a striker fired one. Although I am sort of mellowing out over the striker fired guns.

A few others I am looking at are the Taurus PT92, always wanted the Beretta version, I would take either, and the Beretta PX4 storm. I "need" one in 9mm.

Honestly, if the Star M43 is still there, I will get it, the others …..probably not. But the star did serve to ignite a desire to buy another (un-needed) 9mm.
I've owned a PT92...Good, solid, easy to strip gun.

Reactions: Dagwood

·
Premium Member
Everything
3,210 Posts
Third vote for canik from me, Greg. I have the tp9 elite combat and I really like it! It feels good, and does have some weight to it even with the plastic. Love the light trigger pull and the gun is just plain sexy in the coyote tan.
And though I do tend to be more deadly accurate with a couple other pistols, I still had 'that's a dead guy' groups first time I shot it, so it can only get better!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts