Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a very nice looking Mosin 91/30 that I am sure is a factory refurb. Beautiful rifle complete with sling bayonet, and 2 ammo pouches. $475.00. There was also a Tokarev TT-33 in the case, also had to be a refurb. I only looked at it through the glass. It was also listed at $475.00.

‘Another store nearby has a M38 Arisaka. Very nice, complete with bayonet and frog. No import marks on this one and it has an intact mum, so this is a souvineered captured rifle. It’s in the rack with a $799.00 price tag on it.

A search on the inter webs is showing an average price for a Mosin at around $500.00 now. I also looked at the FR8. They were also selling for $475.00 to $500.00. If memory serves I paid $125.00 for my FR8, $69.00 for my Mosin’s. Sure wish I had bought a few crates of them back in the day!

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I paid $430 for my Romanian Mosin M44 (made in 1955) back in Dec 2019. Then got the Arisaka type 38 (no mum) for $375 in Jan 2020.

The Mosin was in good shape but the finish was coming off so I redid it. The Arisaka needed cleaning. I've shot the Mosin but not the Arisaka, waited too long to get ammo and now there is none to be had at a price I'm willing to pay.

The days of finding them in barrels at Roses are long gone :oops::(

Hey, at least they're not calling them assault rifles yet! Still wouldn't want to get in the way of either one of them.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,735 Posts
Mosin finishes usually just need to wiped down with alcohol.
Shellac isn't too hard to fix.

What do we think these are worth?

Not as much as these are. Lol
20160627_125403.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a nice Mosin Nagant... View attachment 70913
I have two five-round and two 10-round mags for it. I kept the original furniture for it, though.
I have one similar. I call it the Moona Mosin Psuedo Scout. The build was inspired by our very own @moona11 .It started life (at least as far as I am concerned) as a Bubba'ed M44 that was being passed off as a M38. I called the seller out and ended up with it for a song.

The barrel was cleaned up and shortened to 17", timney trigger installed and dropped into a green Archangel stock. The bolt was modified to be similar to a sniper bolt, but it is swept back and the ball is just in front of the trigger guard. It has a UTG Tri Rail mount, solid as a rock, and it wears a NcStar 3X pistol scope. I am toying with replacing the mount with a Rock Solid mount and adding a traditional scope, if I do that would preclude loading the magazine with stripper clips though. I do have multiple magazines, but I can top off with stripper clips faster than I can swap the magazine.

I do intend for @moona11 to end up with the Psuedo Scout, all he has to do is outlive me.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,735 Posts
I have one similar. I call it the Moona Mosin Psuedo Scout. The build was inspired by our very own @moona11 .It started life (at least as far as I am concerned) as a Bubba'ed M44 that was being passed off as a M38. I called the seller out and ended up with it for a song.

The barrel was cleaned up and shortened to 17", timney trigger installed and dropped into a green Archangel stock. The bolt was modified to be similar to a sniper bolt, but it is swept back and the ball is just in front of the trigger guard. It has a UTG Tri Rail mount, solid as a rock, and it wears a NcStar 3X pistol scope. I am toying with replacing the mount with a Rock Solid mount and adding a traditional scope, if I do that would preclude loading the magazine with stripper clips though. I do have multiple magazines, but I can top off with stripper clips faster than I can swap the magazine.

I do intend for @moona11 to end up with the Psuedo Scout, all he has to do is outlive me.
I do enjoy reading what you do with it. It gives me ideas. Now I just have to find the time to get back into it

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do like the rifle. A lot. It shoots the Sierra .311 180 grain game king pushed by 4895 powder into nice groups that are well within the accuracy requirements for the scout rifle. Inside of 3" @ 200 yards, and I think it would do better with a bit more magnification. The only thing lacking is a set of auxiliary sights.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Had a very nice looking Mosin 91/30 that I am sure is a factory refurb. Beautiful rifle complete with sling bayonet, and 2 ammo pouches. $475.00. There was also a Tokarev TT-33 in the case, also had to be a refurb. I only looked at it through the glass. It was also listed at $475.00.

'Another store nearby has a M38 Arisaka. Very nice, complete with bayonet and frog. No import marks on this one and it has an intact mum, so this is a souvineered captured rifle. It's in the rack with a $799.00 price tag on it.

A search on the inter webs is showing an average price for a Mosin at around $500.00 now. I also looked at the FR8. They were also selling for $475.00 to $500.00. If memory serves I paid $125.00 for my FR8, $69.00 for my Mosin's. Sure wish I had bought a few crates of them back in the day!
Holy crap. I paid $110 for my all numbers matching 1943 laminate 91/30 in 2012. Came with the bayonet, tool, oil can, canvas ammo holder, ammo pouches, stripper clips and shoulder strap. I bought 880 rounds of ammo and 400 of police practice ammo (plastic bullets with half load). Since then I've only put about 50 rounds through it. Kicks too much for my liking.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,944 Posts
@Stromm The kick just means its working as intended!!!

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts

I'd like to put some sort of scope mount on this one one of these days. It'll put five rounds of spam can ammo in under 2" at 100 yards. If I had a scope and some nice, clean new ammo, it would probably do even better.

I have to punch the bore every five rounds with the spam can ammo. That stuff leaves enough muck to really open up the groups in short order.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Kicks too much for my liking.
Do like I did...put the rubber butt plate that's made for the rifle/carbine on it (have to remove the steel plate first) then slap an AR limb saver on top of that. My bummed up shoulder was sore but not painful after shooting 40 rounds.

The rubber butt pad was made by Tacbro, $17 on Amazon. Uses existing screws, but it stinks/smells. It's been over a year and I can still detect the smell. Like they preserved it in a can of puke!!!

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the Archangel stock negates recoil well. Its fully adjustable and can be made to fit you perfectly. It still has recoil of course, but being fitted to you helps tremendously.

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
the Archangel stock negates recoil well. Its fully adjustable and can be made to fit you perfectly. It still has recoil of course, but being fitted to you helps tremendously.
Absolutely. Lengthening the pull and raising the comb make it a lot more manageable.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts