ATF for gun lube

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by RadioBob, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Yone heard of or using ATF trans fluid as gun lube?? I heard its a good oil to use.. pros?? Cons?? Comments???

Thanks....

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes. It works just fine.

It's an integral ingredient for the very popular home-brew gun CL, "Ed's Red."

Some people dislike the odor, some people warn that it can stain cloths so don't over-lube. Some people are concerned about skin-contact (a fear which I find to be over hyped).

If you're looking for less expensive alternatives, check out my "Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance."

Austin was working on a HPFF specific version for those who become a Supporting Member.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Looks like a great book, I'll get it later. Kind of a smart sneaky way to slide a free ad in there! By the by, the youngest is about to graduate HS, and will also be attending Harding University in the fall! Looks like I should move out of NE Ohio and head down ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1397733647.538611.jpg south!

Sent from my iPod touch using Hi-Point Forum

4. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I'll throw out my long time favorite for the sliding parts is engine assembly lube. Mainly composed of hypoid grease (high shear factor), molybdenum, and graphite. Been using it for quite a few years and I've yet to see any trace of galling on any of my firearms.

You still need an oil for the rotational parts and/or surface protection.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Or you could use your "Supporting Member" thing. If the HPFF version isn't there yet, let me know and I'll get you a copy. That goes for any Supporting Member.

Austin has been good to us during and after his acquisition of HPFF. I made the HPFF version as a way to help put back into the basket what he let me and other transitional members take out. The intent of the HPFF version is as an incentive for standard members to become "Supporting Members."

hehe One of the very cool things that Austin does to reward Moderators is to allow "advertising" on his firearms forums chain.

Ha! I remember all the road trips going down and back, semesters and breaks. I clearly recall one spring or holiday break the ride I was catching back up north broke down, leaving me stuck down there. I spent a week or so being bored and lounging in a friend's off-campus apartment (they were gone for the week but I washed up their dishes for 'em so they'd have a clean apartment when they got back). The most fun return road trip I had from H.U., however, was when a good buddy went with me and we dropped a third friend off about half-way or so (somewhere in lower Indiana, iirc). We broke out my old Atlas and took back roads the whole way. We figured it was going to be a long, weird trip anyway so we might as well get some scenery too. I recall my friend snapping a pic of a "Vend-a-Bait" vending machine. Gads were we off the beaten path! Now, I guess we'd just plug in the GPS and have a boring, all Interstate Highway, trip. Ho Hum. :p

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Any particular brand? I assume that it can be picked up at ye olde DIY auto parts store.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Atf

I use ATF as my ONLY gun lube. It's slow to dry up and isn't too thin. My project gun right now is an old 16 gauge single shot shotgun. Used ATF to clean the internals.

8. I have used it and it works great..

Last year I found a great deal in rem oil in the spray can so I stocked up. The spray is much easier to use but I'm looking for a little bottle to hold the ATF that would get me using it a lot more.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  9. hi-tower

hi-tower Member

Works Great. The only thing I use. My AK74 came with a plastic gun oil bottle when I bought it and I use it now for holding the ATF. Usually get it when it is on sale and it lasts a long time. I use the Dexron III stuff. Not sure if that matters at all though.

10. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

I've used hops#9 since I was a kid and my dad first taught me to clean a gun. Not very expensive and it's worked well for me since 1989. I see no reason to experiment now. But I do not see how ATF would hurt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

11. :mad:
    Id love to use hoppe's lub, but they only sell it in the teny tiny bottles.. no more 4oz or 16oz bottles.. I called them to ask.. only wipes come in the big bottles now... :mad:

12. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

You only need a few drops.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Depends on how, umm..., big the "gun" is. Some, ah..., "guns" need more "lube" than others. :D

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. johnnyBgood

johnnyBgood Member

15. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

The tube I have now is Sta-Lube engine assembly lube. Should be able to pick it up at any NAPA store. It's a black tube.

16. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Size don't matter just spit on it lol! But any firearm only needs a few drops. Excess oil collects powder and crud.