Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hope I put this in the right place,if not I apologise.
I just saw this on the WSJ but it has a pay wall so I found it @ GAT Daily. The news story is about Federal agents on Thursday that raided Polymer80, one of the nation's largest manufacturers of ghost-gun parts, a sign that federal law enforcement is cracking down on kits that allow people to make weapons at home. Article here :https://gatdaily.com/breaking-atf-raids-polymer80/

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Hope I put this in the right place,if not I apologise.
I just saw this on the WSJ but it has a pay wall so I found it @ GAT Daily. The news story is about Federal agents on Thursday that raided Polymer80, one of the nation's largest manufacturers of ghost-gun parts, a sign that federal law enforcement is cracking down on kits that allow people to make weapons at home. Article here :https://gatdaily.com/breaking-atf-raids-polymer80/
Now lets see what that means to all of the people that bought those.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
If they paid by check or cash, would Uncle Sugar be able to figure out who has what? Unless its serialed and has to go through a 4473, which defeats the purpose of a "ghost gun". I have no clue, that's why I'm asking

Reactions: magnut and moona11

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Mine was a gift from a contest on HPFF, and given to my ex when I moved out. I'm completely insulated.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
What took 'em so long?

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,949 Posts
What are these 80% things you all speak of??? Who would want 80% of anything!!!

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
What are these 80% things you all speak of??? Who would want 80% of anything!!!
Personally, I'd be quite content with 80% of a million dollars.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,949 Posts
Reactions: Rabidwookie

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
The assault on the 2nd Amendment begins already with the new voter cheat Biden administration not even in office. I hate the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms.

·
Banned
453 Posts
If they paid by check or cash, would Uncle Sugar be able to figure out who has what? Unless its serialed and has to go through a 4473, which defeats the purpose of a "ghost gun". I have no clue, that's why I'm asking
Money order, Check, Paypal, Credit card etc. They can track it. Mybe FTF out of someones trunk you would be OK. Do it now you might be caught in a sting operation. Maybe even a false flag for media narratives. "John smith bought a ghost gun out on the street with no background check" yada yada. This has been in the works for a while. At least a year ago I was made aware of it... maybe two. The whole ghost gun thing is not going to keep happening. should it? I dont know.

I wouldnt get to worked up over it.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
From what I read the reason for the raid was no serial numbers on any of the parts.

Are they going to be coming after older guns with no serial number next?!?!?!?! I'm gonna miss my Noble single shot 22 :(

·
Banned
453 Posts
From what I read the reason for the raid was no serial numbers on any of the parts.

Are they going to be coming after older guns with no serial number next?!?!?!?! I'm gonna miss my Noble single shot 22 :(
I dont think you have to worry about those. They are concerned about massive amounts of small arms being ghost guns on the black market. Most of the old relics and collectables from the pre serial number days are low in number.

You finish em recievers have been around for a long time. It used to take a lot more skill to do projects with them. Stuff like the poymer 80 frames just made it too easy for the black market. It would have made it impossible to control. The BATF is not that big. I get where they are coming from....not sure I agree with it....but I get it. There are some really bad people out there. Not everyone is your average law abiding gun enthusiest who has a moral code.

Nice term they have invented... "Ghost Gun". Sounds so much more DANGEROUS than the old "80% Frame" terminology more traditionally used. Ya see how they do that? Its another play on words..."Ghost gun" was created to stoke fear through the media. As soon as I heard them useing that phrase I figured this was coming. Kind of like Saturday Night Special..... another cooked up label. The only "ghost guns" I know of are from the Ghostbusters. People are ignorant though and fall for this language stuff all the time so they use it. Its just another psyop.

It sucks for folks like us because kit guns are neat. I told the ATF they really should go the Euro route and start to serialize the barrels. Forget about the frames. They dont like those single shot shotgun ZIP gun kits out there either BTW. I wanted to get one just to have a legal sample of a South American type home brew zip gun. It was suggested I might want to stay away from those. I am still thinking about it. Next time I speak to him I am going to ask him about how involved it is to have a serial number put on a gun and if that would alleviate any concerns the ATF would have over someone buying a home brew zip gun kit.

This 3d printing stuff is going to get addressed at some point as well. Its part of this "ghost gun" issue as well. It really sucks for law abiding folks who do not have bad intentions but it is what it is. My gut feeling after talking to them is that most of the Ground guys in the ATF dont really have a problem with someone making a firearm from scratch....but buying a non serialized kit thats 99% finished and just need a couple of holes drilled freaks them out a bit..... Or a setup where you can just print out recievers like a zerox machine.

·
Premium Member
35,651 Posts
Mybe FTF out of someones trunk you would be OK. Do it now you might be caught in a sting operation.
How can they do a sting operation on something that is 100% legal? I bought my G20 that way. He got an AR in the deal. Completely legal in my state, and any other state that follows the constitution.

Reactions: Visper

·
Banned
453 Posts
How can they do a sting operation on something that is 100% legal? I bought my G20 that way. He got an AR in the deal. Completely legal in my state, and any other state that follows the constitution.
Cmon now you are smarter than that. They can do anything they want if you are not smart and put yourself in a compromised situation. If they cannot ... they will sick the IRS on you. You really dont want to get combative with the ATF unless you are willing to go all the way. That is all up to the individual though. Gun registries are not legal either but there is one. They just dont call it a gun registry. I went through a lot of this. You are going to either escalate things or de-escalate things. I typically am good under presure, am good at dealing with all types of people, and blunt in terms of honesty so I ended up makeing some good contacts out of it all that I can call anytime for legal questions or concerns.

If I was a hothead and started getting combative things could have went really, really bad because they were ready for a fight if it came to that. They called off a house raid right in front of me and my wife (who was pregnant) once they realized I was just a firearms lover with wierd taste. I will probably give them a call after the new year. I have three questions on my list right now I need some info on. I try to be quick but we start talking guns and our kids and the conversations can get long. I dont like to waste his time. him and his partner are actually my emergency contact in case I ever have a theft.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
How can they do a sting operation on something that is 100% legal? I bought my G20 that way. He got an AR in the deal. Completely legal in my state, and any other state that follows the Constitution.
In my opinion if you are selling to a non-restricted American citizen over 18 years old then it is none of the government's business if you are selling firearms. It is your property. The tyrants want 4473 forms on all firearms so they can attempt to confiscate (or put a high price tax them) in the future.

[Grammar Edit.]

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
In my opinion if you are selling to a non-restricted American citizen over 18 years old then it is none of the government's business if you are selling firearms. It is your property. The tyrants want 4473 forms on all firearms so the can attempt to confiscate (or put a high price tax them) in the future.
It all started with trying to strip rights from criminals and non-whites.

Gun control is merely evolved racism.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts