Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

ati install problems

5K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  gemini6x3 
Just drill out the front hole, NOT the back. I started out with a bit that was the same size as the hole and then stepped it up with the next size bit. My ATI works great. What feeding problems I did have were due to magazine issues, not the stock.
ATI stock doesn't always work- file this, adjust that, wiggle this and push that. Maybe it works after all that or you go to the range and have feeding issues. Disassemble your carbine and you just might have to do the whole wiggle, adjust stuff all over again.
This is due to the inconsistent tolerances at Hi-Point, not because ATI is making a bad product.

This is taken directly from the instructions that are included with all ATI 995 stocks- "Due to stamping tolerances and metal forming operations, the holes in the Hi-Point metal receiver cover may not align with the holes in the stock. If the holes in the stock cause assembly problems, use a small round file to remove stock material in area as shown in white on the picture. File hex cap side only, right hand side. Caution: Do not file aggressively. Check alignment often during file process to maintain tight fit between stock and barreled action."

When the big fuss about the Ugly Stick vs. ATI stock first started I called both parties. Unfortunately ATI had the most logical reasoning. The folks at Hi-Point couldn't give me any good reason WHY the ATI would cause any problems. All they would say is that ATI is bad. Whereas when I called ATI they didn't have anything bad to say about Hi-Point at all and they gave me a good explanation on why the ATI stock is not bad for the 995. Honestly all you have to do is hold the two empty stocks side by side and compare the inner construction and I think that would end any and all debates. The first thing you'll notice is that the clam shell design of Hi-Point stock is very flimsy. The contact points that support the receiver are much more solid on the ATI than on the Hi-Point stock. The fact of the matter is that Hi-Point just didn't want people buying ATI stocks because they can't make any money from that and they were also developing the new stock when I called.
I'm not trying to bash Hi-Point and I'm not trying to promote ATI. But the only reason I bought my 995 was so I could make a knock-off of the Berretta Storm by putting the ATI stock on it (since I can't afford the real thing).

Never sell your old stock. Make sure you keep the original Hi-Point stock even if you never plan on using it again! Because if you should ever have to send your carbine back for warranty repair you must put it back in the original Hi-Point stock. Otherwise Hi-Point will remove your ATI and ship the gun back to you in an original stock (along with your ATI of course).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.