Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

ati install problems

5K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  gemini6x3 
#1 ·
i cant for the life of me get the holes in the ati the stock to line up with the receiver cover and reciver holes.... wat do i do???????

#4 ·
Use a round file to file out the inside of the stock holes.

Set the action down into the stock, then use the file to remove the plastic. Just dont run the file all the way through the holes from one side to the other too much or you may end up filing the metal of the reciever instead of the plastic of the stock.

Also once you get it installed, dont crank down the bolts or it binds things up inside. just snug them up a bit. Take your tools shooting with you, if it seems like its not feeding correctly, back the bolts off some befor you try anything else more drastic. Once I got the bolts on mine adjusted right its been a blast to shoot.

#5 ·
Oh sorry. I was just stating that with the ATI stocks on the HP 995, almost everyone is having feeding problems and other problems with them. Me, I'm waiting for their NEW stocks to come out( Maybe for free).
BTW...this WAS a direct answer to you. HP plainly states that ATI stocks are a NO-NO. So, don't jump on me when they stated it. :no:

#6 ·
You can read a lot on how to modify, fix, adjust the ATI stock to make it work. But bottom line is:

Hi-Point stock works- no adjustments, filing or anything. And if you disassemble your carbine, it all goes back together perfectly and quickly.

ATI stock doesn't always work- file this, adjust that, wiggle this and push that. Maybe it works after all that or you go to the range and have feeding issues. Disassemble your carbine and you just might have to do the whole wiggle, adjust stuff all over again.

Sam was trying to give you good advice, as opposed to just helping you do something you might regret.

Either way, good luck and enjoy your carbine. :cool2:

#7 ·
mine got perfect by just drilling straight through the stock/receiver, as long as it is not off by a lot. turned out perfect and still is after taking it apart several times. start all over and read the tutorial, helped me a lot but finally just chucked a bit and drilled.

*** Removed by admin. Let's play nice now children. *** ~Corelogik

Hi-Point stock works- no adjustments, filing or anything. And if you disassemble your carbine, it all goes back together perfectly and quickly.

ATI stock doesn't always work- file this, adjust that, wiggle this and push that. Maybe it works after all that or you go to the range and have feeding issues. Disassemble your carbine and you just might have to do the whole wiggle, adjust stuff all over again.

#8 ·
BigHog, thanks for that. I just repeat what Shelly(HP Lady) stated about ATI stocks. I know that HP Company will state things about using anything but their items on their guns. So, that's where I stand. I just feel it is my duty to stick up for HP for fixing my .380. :embarrassed2:

#9 ·
You can read a lot on how to modify, fix, adjust the ATI stock to make it work. But bottom line is:

Sam was trying to give you good advice, as opposed to just helping you do something you might regret.

Either way, good luck and enjoy your carbine. :cool2:
whatever...for every 10 "i have a problem with my ati stock" posts only 1-2 go back to the flimsy stock. If you want the ATI, it may take a little work but for those of us who have no problems, even taking it back apart many times, you will be satisfied with the result...a much better stock than stock. once you get it right, it stays right.

#10 ·
Use a round file to file out the inside of the stock holes.

Set the action down into the stock, then use the file to remove the plastic. Just dont run the file all the way through the holes from one side to the other too much or you may end up filing the metal of the reciever instead of the plastic of the stock.

Also once you get it installed, dont crank down the bolts or it binds things up inside. just snug them up a bit. Take your tools shooting with you, if it seems like its not feeding correctly, back the bolts off some befor you try anything else more drastic. Once I got the bolts on mine adjusted right its been a blast to shoot.
totally agree, i have a little stubby nut driver that i use, just back off and it is fine

#11 ·
Roadkill,

Since you responded right below my post, I'll assume your comments were directed at me, even though you got my name wrong.

It's BigHog, not ShutUp. Got it?

I have an ATI stock right next to me. I have installed one myself and compared it with the factory stock. No, I'm not one of those guys who claims to know everything without trying it for himself.

PS.
I don't know what drug is in the water lately around here. A guy asks a question and other guys come along and offer their advice. Then, before you know it, somebody gets all insulting and tells people to keep their opinions to themselves. What's the point of a forum?

Whatever.

#12 ·
I agree with BigHog. I have never installed the ATI stock, although I am looking at them for a WASR 10 and Min14 replacement stocks for friends. I have been warned several times by Hi-Point not to use anything aftermarket on the 995. Having said that I do have a trigger and charging handle by Bushman and an oversized mag release button from Runner on mine. Before I even bought my 995 I became a member of this forum to find as much information that I could about the aftermarket goodies available for the 995 and the 4095. I read about what needed to me done to the ATI stock to get it to work and time it took to install it. I also read about the problems other posted about the ATI. Then after I got my 995 I sat down and weighed all the pros and cons of the factory verses the ATI stocks and decided at that time to stick with the factory stock and wait it out for the new one.

Plus I gotta say I happen to like the look of the original stocks. They are different looking. To my way of thinking if I wanted a gun that looked like a Berreta CX4 then I would have bought the CX4.

just my $0.02 worth.

#13 ·
$100,000 question.... will hp still fix your gun if it breaks after you use the ati stock??? I'm gonna break down and get one this friday at the gun show if they have any under $190... All ready have $700 in buying my Cx4 Storm and all the goodies for it.. but something about the 995 has me interested still...

#14 ·
$100,000 question.... will hp still fix your gun if it breaks after you use the ati stock??? I'm gonna break down and get one this friday at the gun show if they have any under $190... All ready have $700 in buying my Cx4 Storm and all the goodies for it.. but something about the 995 has me interested still...
You can bet your bottom dollar that HP will fix your carbine, don't expect it to be shipped back in the ATI stock though, LOL.

#15 ·
I put an ATI on my 995 4 days ago. I spent about 2 hours (and 2 cups of coffee) getting it right. I had to file out the holes in the stock (with a round file), slightly dremmel the cover behind the action so it would seat correctly and the screw would go in. Note: I didn't have to remove much material in either instance.
I wasn't happy the ATI kit was missing the 2) #6 , 1/2" screws required for the clip release and the cover. I understand others have had them missing, as well. I did buy some and still filed a 16th of an inch off because it was a bit too close to the clip when inserted.
I put 50 rounds through it the following day without a problem. My advice; Keep your original stock. Never know if it will need to go back to HP. Personally, I like the heft of the ATI compared to the original but, from this forum, I understand a new factory stock may be in the works. BTW, anyone know how the 995 comes back from HP IF you send it in with the ATI? Do they take the ATI off and put an original on and charge for it? Do they send the ATI back with it? Just curious...

#16 ·
I wouldn't count on getting your ATI stock back(they might trash it). If it was me...I would put the old stock back on and send it. If you don't have the old stock, don't worry...just send it with out a stock. Leave a note that you bought it like this. ;) :yes:

#17 ·
Just drill out the front hole, NOT the back. I started out with a bit that was the same size as the hole and then stepped it up with the next size bit. My ATI works great. What feeding problems I did have were due to magazine issues, not the stock.
This is due to the inconsistent tolerances at Hi-Point, not because ATI is making a bad product.

This is taken directly from the instructions that are included with all ATI 995 stocks- "Due to stamping tolerances and metal forming operations, the holes in the Hi-Point metal receiver cover may not align with the holes in the stock. If the holes in the stock cause assembly problems, use a small round file to remove stock material in area as shown in white on the picture. File hex cap side only, right hand side. Caution: Do not file aggressively. Check alignment often during file process to maintain tight fit between stock and barreled action."

When the big fuss about the Ugly Stick vs. ATI stock first started I called both parties. Unfortunately ATI had the most logical reasoning. The folks at Hi-Point couldn't give me any good reason WHY the ATI would cause any problems. All they would say is that ATI is bad. Whereas when I called ATI they didn't have anything bad to say about Hi-Point at all and they gave me a good explanation on why the ATI stock is not bad for the 995. Honestly all you have to do is hold the two empty stocks side by side and compare the inner construction and I think that would end any and all debates. The first thing you'll notice is that the clam shell design of Hi-Point stock is very flimsy. The contact points that support the receiver are much more solid on the ATI than on the Hi-Point stock. The fact of the matter is that Hi-Point just didn't want people buying ATI stocks because they can't make any money from that and they were also developing the new stock when I called.
I'm not trying to bash Hi-Point and I'm not trying to promote ATI. But the only reason I bought my 995 was so I could make a knock-off of the Berretta Storm by putting the ATI stock on it (since I can't afford the real thing).

#18 ·
We could all end this debate if someone would send me a ATI stock. I will be the Grey part on this(you know, black/white...I'll be the middle). I will report ALL the pros and cons. Now...some body send me a ATI stock, because I already have the HP stock.

#19 ·
Like someone already stated...compare the two stocks side by side and you'll see what has to be "adjusted" on the ATI. It will take a lil tweaking but in the end you'll be happy with it! I personally have no issues with my 995 in the ATI.

Here you can see the newly painted receiver cover:

#20 ·
Never sell your old stock. Make sure you keep the original Hi-Point stock even if you never plan on using it again! Because if you should ever have to send your carbine back for warranty repair you must put it back in the original Hi-Point stock. Otherwise Hi-Point will remove your ATI and ship the gun back to you in an original stock (along with your ATI of course).

#21 ·
I had an ATI on my HP for 1000 rounds or so. I never had any performance problems with the gun while I had that stock on there. The only reason I got rid of it is because I wanted to use the money for another gun, so I sold the stock to a member of this forum. I don't think they cause problems with the gun personally. I took mine all the way apart before putting it back in the original stock to clean it and whatnot and didn't see any strange wear or parts that looked damaged.

To get the stock to install correctly I had to drill out the front and rear holes on mine to get it to fit, as well as cutting down the magazine release spring. I did like the feel of the ATI a lot better than the factory one...sometimes I wish I didn't sell it, but oh well.

#23 ·
This is taken directly from the instructions that are included with all ATI 995 stocks- "Due to stamping tolerances and metal forming operations, the holes in the Hi-Point metal receiver cover may not align with the holes in the stock. If the holes in the stock cause assembly problems, use a small round file to remove stock material in area as shown in white on the picture. File hex cap side only, right hand side. Caution: Do not file aggressively. Check alignment often during file process to maintain tight fit between stock and barreled action."
Nope don't know about either stock don't own a carbine but this is a public forum so I'm going to post my thoughts anyway. Can someone explain the logic of this above statement to me so I understand? ATI stocks don't fit because of HP loose tolerances? Does HP custom make their stocks for each firearm then? Why do HP stocks fit well if these receivers are so far out of spec on a given carbine? Rant on.. Also btw I have to laugh when someone with 7 posts tells a member with 1000+ posts what to do on this forum, if his answer doesn't help ya ignore it. Its a free exchange of ideas here not your personal instruction library..rant off

#25 ·
Wasn't aware asking for clarification of a statement was being an arsehole. As far as what I don't understand if no 2 receivers are the same how does Hi Point get their stocks to fit? Yep still fuzzy on that. If my thoughts on a subject can make you quit your membership well I'm sorry your skin is so thin, must be rough during summer for ya. Seriously dude if you get upset by someone asking questions or stating opinions I don't think you should join ANY forums.

#26 ·
I've got a brand new, never opened, ATI stock for my carbine. And I can't bring myself to install it. Then again, I can't bring myself to sell it off either.

I like the ergos and light weight of the factory stock. I *don't* like how flimsy it is. I know that's probably part of what makes it light, but that does seem to be a serious weak point in the entire system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.