ATI Omni Hybrid AR15. Deal or no Deal?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Dagwood, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Was in my Local Pawn shop today paying on my Xds .45 that I have on layaway, and the owner was trying to talk me into buying an Omni Hybrid that he has there. It is not new, but it seriously looks barely used. It is from 2013. There is a 3-9 x 42 tactical scope on it. It is a flat top.
    I have seen some terrible reviews online, but I have also seen some good reviews as well.
    My question is; does anyone here have personal experience with this firearm? I respect all of your opinions here at HPFF, but I would really like to hear a "real World" review from someone who owns or has owned one of these.
    I know, I know, I have not been a fan of the AR15 platform. The one that I had was a POS really. Totally not reliable. I have been turned off to the AR since then, but I really would like to "like" this platform.
    Ammo is cheap enough and available. Also, I would like to get another one before they are outlawed completely.
    I really wasn't actively looking for one at the moment, but this one has presented itself and I would like to know if it's worth considering.

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I am not a fan of polymer lowers, but since I don't buy polymer lowers I can't legitimately give any opinion of them. My recommendation would be to go with a Windham or similar quality; or buy an Anderson lower for $139, a Radical upper and a BCG and charging handle if you want to assemble it yourself. :)

3. Tchort

Tchort Member

I have one. Shot a maybe a thousand rounds through it. Love it. Even shot it in 8 degree weather for about an hour. No cracks. I put a couple post here on it. Do a search under ATI omni. Should find it with more info.

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

Dont buy a poly AR. Especially an Omni. My LGS refuses to even order one if someone asks because they are so problematic.

5. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I have one (complete lower), I got it for a steal. I have shot it with 223 and 556, prolly about 4-500 rounds through the lower. I went out and got a dedicated 22lr upper for it. Put another 4-500 through that.

No problems. I look at it this way, its a backup lower for if/when I ever need it, but I just leave it as my dedicated 22lr lower.

Like Flash said just get that Complete Anderson lower for $139.00, you won't be disappointed. The holidays will be here before you know it and Palmetto State armory usually has some great sales and get your complete upper then.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Don't know, for one thing you didn't say the price. Cheap enough you could always change out the lower later if needed.

7. Dagwood

$550.00 is the price. It literally looks like new.

8. Visper

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Del ton are good guns. They make parts for most of the AR companies. Get that one. I've broken a poly in class for the instructor to show how the suck. Anderson has uppers and lowers that are good. I have a Black forge that is all Del ton parts. Works flaw less. I would spend a little extra on a heavy barrel.

10. moona11

If you have issues with a AR pm me and we fix it.

11. Visper

Yeah I haven't heard anything bad about them. Seems like a nice entry level AR.

Not to derail but I was looking at that same flyer from kentucky gun co and saw this:

http://www.kygunco.com/Tisas-Zig-M1...keting&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GUNtober

Does that seem way cheap for a 1911???

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

You can buy much higher quality ARs in that price range. 550 for an Omni?? That's outright price rape.

13. Dagwood

Sounds like I need to think about that one some more. I've done a lot of deals with this shop. Most have been great deals. What I really like about this particular shop is the owner is very flexible on layaway. He usually says " give me 25 bucks (sometimes 50) down and pay it off within a year". I generally always pay off my layaways within a month or two anyway cuz I just can't wait.
    He's got a Taurus 24/7 that he can't seem to get rid of. I may make an offer on that one. The owner knows that if I have something on layaway it keeps me coming in to make payments and he can sell me more stuff. He's a pretty fart smeller, I mean smart feller.

14. Dagwood

For that price for a 1911 you really can't go wrong. Tisas makes a quality product. And the new north american distributor "Zenith Firearms" is dedicated to supporting the brand with parts and accessories.
    I had inquired thru the Tisas website a while back about mags for my ATI C45 mfg by Tisas and I rcvd an email on friday from a representative of Zenith asking me for specifics so that they can start carrying more parts. I was impressed with the communication and am looking forward to doing business with them in the future.

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

16. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

I've got a ATI Omni hybrid AR and have already put 2500 rds thru it from M855 to M193 and not one issue or problem . I've even run a few boxes of Sierra match king 77 grain ammo thru it with no issues

I like my AR so much I just bought a Trijicon TA-31 RCO A4 MCP for it !!!

17. Tchort

Tchort Member

I think its like the Hipoint haters, people just hate on poly lowers. Glad to see you havent had problems with yours either. Same here, i have shot .223 and 5.56 through mine, all different brands, all different temperature outside and not a problem. Since people complained about cracking supposedly i check it over now and then and nothing. Great gun even if i paid $599 and you can get cheaper. Would by another from them.

18. moona11

Its not about being a hater i have seen first hand how they break. Buy it and like it all you want They break easy I have done it. Why waste your money in a poly rifle but that's you choose. When it breaks and it will hae fun yelling bang cause that's all you will get.

19. USMC_VET

Sounds so much like a typical Glock hater !!!! , I remember when the those came out and they had people such as you yelling " the sky is falling" . They thought the Glock was the biggest piece of **** ever made

Oh just an FYI the problem you're referring to which is the location of the buffer tube was only noticed during a short run of the first generation of this AR . This was also when it was called a Omni 5.56 AR . Since then it was redesigned & reinforced in the area of the buffer tube . Once the issue was resolved the next generation was called Omni Hybrid AR , this rifle such as mine and Tchort are trouble free

Oh to further ruffle your panties , did you know that other AR manufacturers are looking into Poly lower even talk of a Poly upper

20. USMC_VET

Yep the Omni Hybrid is a awesome AR !!!:D