Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to find things to do to improve the feeding of my AO M1 Carbine and ran across this:

Project - Sheepdog - Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine

Basically he's polishing the feed ramp and a few other spots.

I was going to start but when I look at the feed ramp it almost appears there's 2 side-by-side feed ramp areas with a very small flat spot in between. I don't want to do anything until I'm sure about what I'm seeing. I don't think I can take a photo that will show what I see but if I can I'll post it.

I do have a bit of a lip on the right side of the feed ramp, I can feel it when I pull my fingernail back over it so that will get some polishing.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I was trying to find things to do to improve the feeding of my AO M1 Carbine and ran across this:

I was going to start but when I look at the feed ramp it almost appears there's 2 side-by-side feed ramp areas with a very small flat spot in between. I don't want to do anything until I'm sure about what I'm seeing. I don't think I can take a photo that will show what I see but if I can I'll post it.

I do have a bit of a lip on the right side of the feed ramp, I can feel it when I pull my fingernail back over it so that will get some polishing.
When I was in training the instructor said the easiest way to make $100. Talk some fool into believing that a polished feed ramp was the coolest thing any real operator would do.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts

AR15 definitely has 2 distinct ramps. OK Now, here's the cautionary tale, but it comes from automotive porting and polishing experience.

It's EASY to remove too much but darn near impossible to put it back!!!

Plus, everyone always wanted a "mirror finish" and that is never the best. Especially with a feed ramp, all you need is "smooth"
and I'd never recommend removing an appreciable amount of material.

80 grit worked great with porting, but maybe 120 grit would be fine for this.

SMOOTH it, don't reshape it!

·
Administrator
24,572 Posts
@undeRGRound , wrong, shitbird. Any magazine utilizing a zig-zag pattern is called a dual-stack magazine versus a single-stack or column magazine. You're incorrectly referring to the style of feed ramps. Dual ramp vs single. Your flawed theory fails with the AK. Dual stack, staggered feed, single ramp.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
There is a dual-column, STAGGERED (dual) feed, and that is an AR15 for one.
Then there are double-stack, single feed, like most regular pistols.
They are both double stacks, sure.
Yes there are exceptions. I was not saying ALL are like my examples.

I even have a dual column staggered feed 9mm, it's the AR9. My PPS43C
(tokarev ammo) is also like this. Pretty much like his AO I believe.

I'm using descriptive terms.
So it's Double Stack and DS staggered feed? Cool

Yeah Dual ramps, for the dual feed, but some use a wide single ramp
AKs are pretty darn reliable with the single ramp and a dual feed mag.
That's the beauty of engineering, it's a system approach. Maybe the
Russkies got a single ramp to work better for their system, less machining.

This looks more like the AK but not quite like he described, or what I visualized @Dubar what Say man?
I see a hump there, is the your ridge? Obviously you don't want to remove it. This is the completed version.
OR you could just shoot it, is it hanging up on you now?? 😂

Sounds to me like you have your mind made up, that's why I said go easy. But less is more in porting
and polishing, and polishing a feed ramp. Everyone thinks more is better when sometimes none is best.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see a hump there, is the your ridge? Obviously you don't want to remove it.
Yeah, that's about what I'm seeing, glad I said something or I would have been hard at it with the Dremel!!! I did have what felt like a burr (not the hump) on the right side so I smoothed that out, but didn't remove any "essential" material.

With the new OEM mags I'm seeing less FTF and FTE, and they always seem to be coming from the cartridges on the right side, hopefully taking the burr off helped. No burr on the left side.

As far as calling it double-stack...I had no idea except the bullitz stack like my ARs, and all the rest that have wide mags.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
Yeah, that's about what I'm seeing, glad I said something or I would have been hard at it with the Dremel!!! I did have what felt like a burr (not the hump) on the right side so I smoothed that out, but didn't remove any "essential" material.

With the new OEM mags I'm seeing less FTF and FTE, and they always seem to be coming from the cartridges on the right side, hopefully taking the burr off helped. No burr on the left side.

As far as calling it double-stack...I had no idea except the bullitz stack like my ARs, and all the rest that have wide mags.
Cool man! Less is more in most grinding.
My last job had people grinding iron castings for 2 shifts, 2x 10 hours of production and less is more there too. Most times LOL

I'm betting feed lips need to be right on with those mags too, better see if you can find a spec for that, maybe your aftermarket mags could benefit from a tweak?
Sounds like a cool setup, Sheepdog M1

·
Administrator
24,572 Posts
@undeRGRound dual feed and staggered feed are not the same. An AR is still a single feed. Dual means 2. It is a single feed system. One round for one chamber and the rounds come from only one place; a dual stack, single feed magazine.

Dual feed literally means two separate feeds. Two magazines, a mag and a belt, two belts...

Please stop talking and trying to introduce technically incorrect terminology because you think it sounds cool.

And for the record? A staggered column in a singular formation is still a single column. A few millennium of military drill manual supports that.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm betting feed lips need to be right on with those mags too, better see if you can find a spec for that, maybe your aftermarket mags could benefit from a tweak?
The 4 mags I now have all came from AO, the 3 that came with the gun when I got it were aftermarket (prolly Korean) and gave me more trouble than the AO mags. If there's such a thing as a feed lip spec sheet for the AO M1 I'd sure like to have a copy....I'd be breakin all mechanical on those things :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
35,820 Posts
There is a dual-column, STAGGERED (dual) feed, and that is an AR15 for one.
Then there are double-stack, single feed, like most regular pistols.
They are both double stacks, sure.
So..if they are BOTH double stack....WTF are you going on about?
It's a DOUBLE stack if there is more than one "column"...which no one talks about, it's just....what it is. No one cares what the feed system is, that doesn't change the fact that its a double stack...and you said so yourself!

What magazines does your AR9 use? Glocks and Berettas are NOT double feed, and "staggered feed" is not even a term used for mags. Pretty sure the Colt pattern mags aren't double feed either, but I could be wrong.

There are two choices in the world of staggered column magazines for center fire ammo. Double stack double feed or double stack single feed.

Double stack double feed, like an HK VP70 or MP5, or an AR. Often they have a wider feed ramp in the gun, or even two feed ramps like an AR. The double stack single feed is your Glock, Ruger, CZ or any other gun that narrows down at the last bit so you really only see one bullet, and they generally have one feed ramp in the middle.

BOTH double stacks.

End of discussion.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
So..if they are BOTH double stack....WTF are you going on about?
It's a DOUBLE stack if there is more than one "column"...which no one talks about, it's just....what it is. No one cares what the feed system is, that doesn't change the fact that its a double stack...and you said so yourself!

What magazines does your AR9 use? Glocks and Berettas are NOT double feed, and "staggered feed" is not even a term used for mags. Pretty sure the Colt pattern mags aren't double feed either, but I could be wrong.

There are two choices in the world of staggered column magazines for center fire ammo. Double stack double feed or double stack single feed.

Double stack double feed, like an HK VP70 or MP5, or an AR. Often they have a wider feed ramp in the gun, or even two feed ramps like an AR. The double stack single feed is your Glock, Ruger, CZ or any other gun that narrows down at the last bit so you really only see one bullet, and they generally have one feed ramp in the middle.

BOTH double stacks.

End of discussion.
I meant the same thing you just said, and it looks like I said the same thing

Yep, my only point is the ones w/o the taper and the one width bullet exit point feed the chamber from 2 sides. Some have dual ra.ls and some have a big wide ramp.

I've read about these, own all the different types, but apparently maybe I've picked up some TTAG Terminology and no one likes that

I got staggered feed from Rachiger ax him

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
The 4 mags I now have all came from AO, the 3 that came with the gun when I got it were aftermarket (prolly Korean) and gave me more trouble than the AO mags. If there's such a thing as a feed lip spec sheet for the AO M1 I'd sure like to have a copy....I'd be breakin all mechanical on those things
With the absence of a spec sheet, you could measure the feed lips gaps on the AO mags and see how that compares to the aftermarket stuff.

Terminology [email protected] aside, I've just been trying to describe what it is you're dealing with here, not trying to confuse you Dubie
So just ignore the mag discussion on Ds/DF and a that. It's just incidental to the discussion anyway.

If I knew what to change I would, we need accurate terminology in the forums. So I'll just trim it down to what we're really trying to accomplish

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
If you want to polish the ramps use a cotton cone on a dremel. A little fine polishing compound.

I used a cone shaped stone to cut a ramp (where there wasn't one) into my AR40 barrel per the engineer's advice at Kaw Valley. Then polished it.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
...Any magazine utilizing a zig-zag pattern is called a dual-stack magazine versus a single-stack or column magazine. You're incorrectly referring to the style of feed ramps. Dual ramp vs single. Your flawed theory fails with the AK. Dual stack, staggered feed, single ramp.
There's the staggered feed @ajole

·
Premium Member
35,820 Posts
There's the staggered feed @ajole
Yeah, I see it.
But the terminology is HOW you describe what’s going on, so using the wrong terminology is kind of a significant fail.
Notice how I didn’t call anyone a name?

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Terminology [email protected] aside, I've just been trying to describe what it is you're dealing with here, not trying to confuse you Dubie

So just ignore the mag discussion on Ds/DF and a that. It's just incidental to the discussion anyway.
And a big THANK YOU for answering my question (y)

I've removed the burr I was feeling, only way to know it that worked is to go back to the range 🤺🔫

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Yeah, I see it.
But the terminology is HOW you describe what’s going on, so using the wrong terminology is kind of a significant fail.
ClipZ/mags terminology can't we all agree?

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
Yeah, I see it.
;)

And a big THANK YOU for answering my question (y)

I've removed the burr I was feeling, only way to know it that worked is to go back to the range 🤺🔫
Cool! YW!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts