Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to have some work done on my 96 monte carlo; it has a bad oil leak so I contacted a guy who's done some work for some others on a off road forum I go to once in awhile. For a under the table side job this price seems some what steep for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked up the time last night when I went to my shop. It really calls for 9 hours on a 1996. The earlier models took slightling longer to do for whatever reason. This puts the job at $450.00 plus parts. Single head gasket is $18.89, intake set is $71.99, valve cover gaskets are $52.00, oil and filter is about $16.00, one gallon of coolant is around 10 bucks. I would also need about 5 bucks for brake clean ( I use it as a surface cleaner). Tax will be $10.43 on parts. I pay the tax at the parts store because I do this on the side. All parts prices are what I pay. Feel free to call up a parts store and check my prices. I use Advance Auto on Euclid for most of my parts.

Total job looks like it will be $634.81 out the door. I will need the parts money up front to start the job and the balance when the car is done. It will take me about two days to complete the repair.

This is a cash deal because I do this work on the side. Please feel free to ask other people on this site about my work.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Honestly, for what he's talking about doing, that price is actually CHEAP. Not really the response you were hoping for, I know. Sorry dude, but that's a pretty decent price.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
thats cheap. i used to get a grand for labor to put in head gaskets in one of those. in your parts you are alos forgeting a 90-100$ set of head bolts. chevy v6s after 95 used torque to yield bolts that are only good for one use and then must be discarded.

SW

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I need to have some work done on my 96 monte carlo; it has a bad oil leak so I contacted a guy who's done some work for some others on a off road forum I go to once in awhile. For a under the table side job this price seems some what steep for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked up the time last night when I went to my shop. It really calls for 9 hours on a 1996. The earlier models took slightling longer to do for whatever reason. This puts the job at $450.00 plus parts. Single head gasket is $18.89, intake set is $71.99, valve cover gaskets are $52.00, oil and filter is about $16.00, one gallon of coolant is around 10 bucks. I would also need about 5 bucks for brake clean ( I use it as a surface cleaner). Tax will be $10.43 on parts. I pay the tax at the parts store because I do this on the side. All parts prices are what I pay. Feel free to call up a parts store and check my prices. I use Advance Auto on Euclid for most of my parts.

Total job looks like it will be $634.81 out the door. I will need the parts money up front to start the job and the balance when the car is done. It will take me about two days to complete the repair.

This is a cash deal because I do this work on the side. Please feel free to ask other people on this site about my work.
I've done a lot of wrench turning. That's not a rip-off.

·
Registered
317 Posts
shop prices must be cheap there. thats way less than around here. most of the dealers are getting 75-85$/hr and the independents are at least 65$.

SW
We get $70 an hour, and are not a dealership.

Here is what AllDataPro gives us on the head gaskets:

·
Banned
296 Posts
all data didnt spec out all the other gaskets,,and fluids,,and new head bolts,,if i were doin it i would be in the same ballpark,,headgaskets are one of the roughest jobs,,at least it's a car verses a mini van,,

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
Thats expensive... my shop would have charged you $40-50 for rebalancing.

if the shop you took it to charges $150 an hour.. Guarantee they have an electronic balancer, so it probably took them 5 minutes to do it.

My shop charges $65 an hour.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.