Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been wanting a Hi-Point 995 carbine for some time and finally some became available at Classic Arms. I jumped on it and got the model with the compensator and the laser. Since this will be my least expensive gun, and the ammo isn't as pricey as the usual rifle ammo, I'd like to have some real fun with this one. So here's my idea, and I'd love to hear from you guys whether you think this would be awesome or whether I would just go to the range and get beat with it because it's so embarrassing.

Like many nerds, I am a big fan of Star Trek. While the ethos of the Federation is pretty peace-loving that didn't keep them from producing some cool weapons. One of the coolest is the phaser rifle. The ST:TNG one is pretty boxy but on the later shows and movies they had one that looked very cool, like this:

It occurs to me that this is not hugely different from a Hi Point Carbine with an ATI stock, like so (I flipped the pic to make it point the same direction):

I believe I could paint the stock with two shades of gray, and leave some parts black, so that it looks very similar to the phaser rifle. A cheap silver holographic sight on the top would complete it. My question to you experienced Hi-Pointers is, does this sound awesome or does it make you want to kick sand in my face at the range? Any thoughts?

(btw: I don't know how to correctly add inline pics yet so you may just have to click on the attachment links to see the guns)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It sounds to me like it's your rifle and you should modify it however you like, taking the law into consideration, of course. If you're genuinely interested in what people think, the one pictured definitely isn't my cup of tea. But if you merely modified yours with spray paint the way you outlined, it could potentially turn out pretty nice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have to admit that I am curious as to why you value the potential critical opinions of others so much when it comes to customizing your carbine?

I say do what you want with it, post pics, and let us enjoy your handiwork. Don't let it both you if someone is critical of it as long as you are happy with it. :)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I think it's awesome someone wants to make their gun...THEIRS. If you really want to do something cool find a nice replica of that weapon and mate them together there are countless ruger 10/22's in airsoft shells and I bet with creativity you could get a 995 into it. I have shot a cheap airsoft shell with a 10/22 in it and an expensive h&k knock off airsoft with ruger in it and they both performed well. use your inagination I once laughed at a guy with an urban camo AR... like the blue/white/grey camo sold at flea markets...until i realized I had no AR and he did. :'(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do what you want with it man. I am possibly planning on a red paint scheme when i get mine. Theres soo many black 995s with the ati everywhere it seems. Do something different. Its just like cars, they maybe look really good, but its nice once in a while to see something really different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the most part, I just wanted to get some aesthetic opinions on it. I am somewhat concerned it will just look bad if I paint it to correspond with the phaser rifle. I have a hard time visualizing that sort of thing and I am not good enough with Photoshop to do a concept of it. I fear it could look really bad. Of course, if it did, I guess I could just paint it all black again. Any more input would be appreciated, either of the "that's gonna look good/bad" type or suggestions on how to make it look even more like the phaser rifle.

As for the Hello Kitty theme, I have been seriously considering that for the 10/22 I bought for my wife. :) It looks super nice with the normal wood stock, I think, especially compared to my mean looking Saiga (my main rifle), but I was thinking of getting a plastic stock or an extra wood stock for the 10/22 and painting it pink with Hello Kitty decals for her. I showed her that Hello Kitty AR pic that has been floating around the Internet a few months back and she loved it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
For the most part, I just wanted to get some aesthetic opinions on it. I am somewhat concerned it will just look bad if I paint it to correspond with the phaser rifle. I have a hard time visualizing that sort of thing and I am not good enough with Photoshop to do a concept of it. I fear it could look really bad. Of course, if it did, I guess I could just paint it all black again. Any more input would be appreciated, either of the "that's gonna look good/bad" type or suggestions on how to make it look even more like the phaser rifle.

As for the Hello Kitty theme, I have been seriously considering that for the 10/22 I bought for my wife. :) It looks super nice with the normal wood stock, I think, especially compared to my mean looking Saiga (my main rifle), but I was thinking of getting a plastic stock or an extra wood stock for the 10/22 and painting it pink with Hello Kitty decals for her. I showed her that Hello Kitty AR pic that has been floating around the Internet a few months back and she loved it.
Since you're asking opinions....It does look like a phaser rifle, a great one, but do you want something that shoots bullets to look like a phaser rifle? It just doesn't fit for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just paintint it would be ok, but if you really want to stand out, get a dremel, some good quality filler putty and a life-sized scale replica of the phaser rifle. use the dremel to mod the 995 with parts from the model then paint it up nice. That would really make people look 2 or 3 times when u took it to the range. :cool2:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Hey, go for it. It's yours, like they said.

Heck, do a kick butt job and you can turn around and sell it for a $100 more than you paid for it to another trekkie!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
If youi don't have any kids around, then I say express yourself. If you do have kids around, then make sure they fully understand that it is NOT a toy.

Even a kid that knows better may be prone to showing it off to friends.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Darkfreedom,

That is a great idea, but I suspect that a life-size replica of the phaser rifle would be more than the ACTUAL rifle. Not sure my budget is good for that right now... if I could even find one.

amf,

I have considered the kids thing. I just have a baby now but I am planning on locking my rifles up big time, as I have a pistol and shotgun for home defense that I have made other arrangements for. I am actually even more concerned about this with the Hello Kitty idea! Talk about a gun that would look like a toy...

·
Gun Fanatic
826 Posts
While i'm not a fan of star trek weapons I would definitly say go for it :)

I wish someone made a working M41A1 Pulse Rifle, that would freakin' rock, but there is the problem of the grenade launcher since it would have to be either A) a SBS, B) a flare launcher or C) a non working :hijack:replica.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Darkfreedom,

That is a great idea, but I suspect that a life-size replica of the phaser rifle would be more than the ACTUAL rifle. Not sure my budget is good for that right now... if I could even find one.

amf,
Even if u can't find a replica, I'll bet there are some passible toys out there that could be butchered for the cause...

and as a last resourt, there's always putty epoxy and a dremel... :angel:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heh darkfreedom, that would be a serious project. I suspect either way my dremel is going to get some work. Unfortunately, without a garage I can't do squat until the weather gets better!

·
Registered
127 Posts
exe, I am an old model builder/customizer/detailer at heart, so i think you should go for it. But if you're gonna go for it, don't just paint the thing similarly. You won't be happy with it, trust me. With a little extra effort, you could make a total conversion using epoxy, bondo, any of various sorts of plastic sheet stock

for example:
http://www.misterart.com/store/browse/003/cat_id/243/Craft-Supplies-Model-Making--Plastic.htm

It's really not that difficult to do, it's just a lot of little detail work. Cut the ATI stock off at the bottom to follow the angle of the phaser rifle, fill in the cavity with something and patch the hole that's left. Fill in the existing panel lines with bondo or epoxy or something else, use plastic stock cut to form to make an outer shell to be glued/epoxied onto the body where needed, use a dremel or other cutting tool to cut new panel lines to match the phaser rifle, etc...

It would be a very worthwhile project. If you could find an old laser tag pistol, you would have a front end barrel shroud that needed very little modification. Look it up.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
go for it dude , i was almost thinking of the same thing . i was messing around in ms paint with a hp carbine ...came up with this . shouldn't be too hard to do and it kind of has me wanting a 995 . the front magazine of course would be a dummy mag .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.