Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother came shooting went shooting with me the other day, he went to chamber a round in my c9 and it jammed.... never happened to me before. He was rather gentle with it, i told him to baby it? It never happned again, if i continue to treat it like that will it end up messing up? By being gentle i mean he let his hand follow the slide as not to go forward to hard...

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
On a semi auto pistol, it is perfectly okay to chamber a round by pulling the slide back and letting it go (rather than following it with your hand). After all, when firing, the gasses blow the slide back and it comes back to battery with full force. Letting the slide go will help ensure the round is well seated in the chamber.

On the other hand, it's generally not a good idea to let the slide go on an empty chamber. In that case it is better to follow the slide with your hand gripping it.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Rack it like rambo. if you think about it, the weapon does not have you to slow the slide down during firing. Let the action go forward at its own speed.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I've never heard that before and can't imagine why it's true.
Well, it may be a myth or a legend. and may not be "true" in all cases.

That said, it cannot help but increase wear. perhaps on the sear and lugs. May not be the case, I've just heard it and frankly, it makes sense to me.

With HPs it really doesn't much matter... you'll only miss it for about 10 days if it has to go back to "mother" for that or any other reason.

YMMV

Charlie

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've never heard that before and can't imagine why it's true.
Well, it may be a myth or a legend. and may not be "true" in all cases.

That said, it cannot help but increase wear. perhaps on the sear and lugs. May not be the case, I've just heard it and frankly, it makes sense to me.

With HPs it really doesn't much matter... you'll only miss it for about 10 days if it has to go back to "mother" for that or any other reason.

YMMV

Charlie
I heard a very logic explinanation of this once and it made sense. For the life of me I can't remember what it is. It had sometghing to do with what ever stops the slide from going forward would take the full brunt of the force as opposed to the loading of the cartridge taking some of the force. I am sure it is the type of thing that if you do it once, you're OK and if you do it a lot it can cause issues. Thats a horrible explination.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.