Back From Death's Door?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TNTRAILERTRASH, Mar 24, 2016.

1. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

My Golden Retriever is almost 11. She is having hip problems, and he eyes aren't as bright as before. I have no idea what happened to her. Was outside the other day and had thick drool hanging out of her mouth. She wouldn't eat. Not even scrambled eggs with cheese. She ran from me when I had a flash light and was disappearing in the yard and not coming when she was called. She was nowhere to be found yesterday morning. I got home and she was laying under a tree and looking really dim. Big green "eye boogers" and they were sunk back in her head. She acted like she couldn't walk and I was going to dig a hole for her next to her sister. Her earlier symptoms sounded like rabies or parvo. The drooling had stopped I looked on the net on what I could give her. I gave her a super B complex, and a vitamin C tablet. Within an hour she was able to walk and came up the steps on the porch and into the house. I fed her some scrambled eggs with cheese, some Milk Bones, and regular dog food. Gave her 2 soup pans of water and kept her in the house last night. Today she is much better and not as lethargic. I gave her another B complex, and another C. Hopefully she will be around a couple more years. :)

Anyone give something OTC for their hips?

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like dehydration and eating something that was too far gone, even for a dog, or even something chemical in her system. A sick forest creature, the wrong berries, etc.

My old man is 10 this year and has a bum wheel from being run over by a truck. We give him Glucosamine and Chondroitin meds for osteo arthritis, and Bully Max. It made a WORLD of difference.

Tonight, for example, I put together the new trampoline for the kids and he kept trying to get from the deck to the trampoline. He ran around the thing for a hour, darting back and forth underneath, all while barking and trying to get to the boys. He's only got a little bit of time left in him, and I keep threatening to have him stuffed so I can keep him out in my shop...

3. TNTRAILERTRASH

My dogs run around my land like balls in a pinball machine. 140ft side to side and about twice that to the rear. They run the fence line barking at cars. (dead end street) Bark at the strange woman out back who has 9 or more mutts. And try and bite my neighbor everytime he comes to talk over the fence. I just popped a glucosamine down her throat. For water I have a "Lixit http://www.gundogsupply.com/-l100-.html it works almost all year long. Just on the really cold days I have to give them water.

4. Dang, what a scare! Glad to hear that she bounced back from whatever it was. Hopefully it was just an oddity and she stays good as gold (pun intended) now. My collie (this being my third) seems to always have some kind of medical thing going on - seizures, bloody runs, puking, limping front paw, puppy mange, and the list goes on and on. She's a sweetheart of a dog and I never get used to her medical emergencies, ever. Hope things stay well for you.

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

I am not a long haired dog fan. I got her when she was 1yo. her litter mate was 1/2 Rott. Yep there can be 2 daddies in 1 litter! She got some kind of internal leak 2 years ago. Her chest filled up with fluid and it caused her heart and lungs to shrink. I had her put to sleep. I have another mutt I got a year ago who is a total nut case. Shepherd and yellow Lab. I have been looking for another youngster to merge into the fold.

6. Rachgier

Should have snagged one of my pups... Am Staff and "red nose" American Pit

7. chondroitin and glucosamine.

8. TNTRAILERTRASH

Not sure if my short fence would hold a pit. Too short.

9. lsi1

lsi1 Member

Rach I would have gotten one of your pups had I known ahead of time what was going to happen to my old dog. Cant do anything for my lonely pit for a while though because I can't have puppy messes and a baby.

10. Rachgier

I've got a 3.5ft chain link fence that keeps them in. Had to put railroad ties along the perimeter because the previous owner never installed the bottom rail. Was cheaper to use the ties. They found a weak spot in one of the kennels and ate, literally chewed, a hole in it and escaped. One of them is a kangaroo, Little Man, and I found him on the fridge eating cat food at the old house. He can also make a vertical to the kitchen counters without an effort.

Sounds like my fence doesn't work at all right? They learned the hard way not to go over the old fence. Now they try under and through.

Abby, the 70lb female, will do a lap around the house to get up a head of steam and make the 230ft run from the back fence line to the front and launch herself off the mesh like an old school WWF wrestler. Scares the shiz out of the cop across the street when he comes to get his mail. She only does it to him though, and it's pretty damn funny. He won't come over t the house at all if the dogs are out, even if I'm in the yard.

EDIT: The kennels are 6 ft high hurricane chain link with 2ft buried in concrete. No digging there, that's why they went through. Now it's wrapped in 1/2" treated ply with heavy gauge twist ties keeping it in place. No more through. Took the top rails off to take the tension off the mesh, so no climbing there. We discovered they can climb ladders.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

Mine is 3.5ft chain link on 2 sides. barb wire on top of 6" squares in the West and North. My yellow lab/shepherd mix tried to go under once. It poked her, concrete block stopped that.

12. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Rach and badmonk our spot on with chondroitin and glucosamine.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  14. TNTRAILERTRASH

The other one is the killer of subterranean dwellers, and birds, and cats, and skunks, and possums, coons, rats, .....................................etc.

15. Rachgier

Mine like to escape and chase the neighbors cows...

The puppy is content chasing the birds in the yard.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

Chasing cows is not good. I had a dog that was a cattle dog of sorts. Big Florida cur. He went into a herd and singled out 3 bulls at the feed lot and boxed them into a pond and wouldn't let them out. I had to trudge through the mud to get him before the cowboys shot him.

17. Rachgier

He's a big baby. He gets up close enough to get kicked, barks at them a couple of times, then runs home.

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

Mine was too unless you got him around a hog. One of my buddies had a 43lb chocolate colored pit catch dog. Chester could clear a 8ft tall sheet of plywood if he smelled a pig. :eek: Hogs will hide in a herd of cows to avoid dogs.

Ever watch any hog/dog hunting videos?

19. Rachgier

Yep. Thought about working with my dogs for hunting but I'm lazy.

20. TNTRAILERTRASH

Pits naturally hate hogs. I love them..................with BBQ sauce!