Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a used 995 with the red dot on it. I do not trust electronics to always be there when you need them (Murphy's Law). So I've been looking for back-up irons. It still has the front sight but no rear sight.
I have scoured the web looking for a flip-down rear sight and all I can find are sights designed for ARs. It isn't necessary that the sights co-witness with the red dot, only that they are there when I need them! Does anyone know of a rear sight that will work or can be made to work? Will any of the AR sights work?
Also, is there a metal rail to replace the "plastic" top rail?
Thank you!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Iron sights

Read your clip. I put together TRUGLO f/o rear sights for the new style carbine. It has f/o "u" notch and f/o ghost ring. Less than $40.00 shipped. I've reconfigured some non plastic rails. They work. Will start that project after the New Year.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
remove the front sight entirely and go with 45 deg A2 6/3 RTS BUIS

·
Premium Member
102 Posts

I replaced the rail with a longer one I got off EBay. With the additional length I was able to add Magpul-like front/rear flip-up sites and co-witnessed them with the red dot. Keep them stowed until you need them, then flip them up and go.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I replaced the rail with a longer one I got off EBay. With the additional length I was able to add Magpul-like front/rear flip-up sites and co-witnessed them with the red dot. Keep them stowed until you need them, then flip them up and go.
ragnorak - I like your setup. How does the longer rail attach on the muzzle end? Where did you buy the flip ups?

·
Registered
67 Posts
USMC_vet,
I have been considering the 45 b.u.s. is there any way you could measure the hight above the rail they sit?
I have tight tolerances with my setup. The lower the better.
Thanks 850.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
ragnorak - I like your setup. How does the longer rail attach on the muzzle end? Where did you buy the flip ups?
Sorry to take so long to respond. The longer rail attaches to the location of the front cover flip up lever. You replace the lever hardware with captive nuts and a bolt through the rail. The stock rail mounting holes are used as well. The rail is pre-drilled for this. All the hardware came included with the rail I bought. Easy to do.

You'll note I also removed the front sight to clear the sight line.

Here's an example;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-LENGTH...257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417b7e1719

Includes the mounting hardware.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Itwentbang ;

I bought what I thought were MagPul flip ups on E-Bay. I'm now convinced they were very well made knock-offs (apparently there subtle differences in the boxes they come in that tell you they are not genuine). So, I kept them. They work great and I didn't pay MagPul prices. Just beware when you do buy that, if you want genuine, make sure you get genuine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts