Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the market for a new C&R rifle (as I am every week) :), and they came recommend by a couple of people I had talked to. So I checked out there site, and saw they had a rifle I was interested in. I figure what the hay, I will give the mom and pop a shot. So I email over a copy of my C&R, and and place the order. That all seemed to go off without a hitch... I had my confirmation email, and their website stated that they were on a 2 week lead time.

fast forward 3 weeks

So 3 weeks passes and I wonder "Hey, I wonder where my rifle is." So I send off a polite email asking if it had shipped, and if they could pass on the tracking info. In less than an hour I had a return email stating that it hadn't gone out yet, but that it would and sent out a bit later that same week. No biggie, they are only a few states away, so it should be in next week I think.

fast forward 2 more weeks

"Hrm, where is my rifle?" I think again. So I send another email asking for the tracking info. I have had a UPS lose packages in the past, and I figured that was probably what happened. I get a similar email to the last one, telling me it didn't ship out because an order for someone else didn't have an FFL, (What does that have to do with my 5 week old order I wonder.) and that they are going to send out the last batch of rifles later this week, and mine will be in it.

WHOA, I think. My order was in fact one of the very first orders placed for one these rifles. His website says he is packing and shipping orders placed 3 weeks after mine, and yet mine hasn't left the building! Mind you they changed my card fast like chrome... and boy do I love handing out interest free loans.

So I stop and have a cup of coffee and cool down a bit.

After my cup of joe I type up an email expressing that I was unhappy with the wait time being twice what I was originally told. (I guess that is relative, had it been 2 days instead of 1 I wouldn't have cared) I went on to say that I would at very least the shipping part of my order to be covered by them, and that if that wasn't possible to just cancel the order. i didn't think that the 20 dollar shipping fee was too much to ask for seeing as how the company has had my money, for a product that is not special order, is not custom made, and is in stock, for over a month.

Nope, this guy instead though it best to cancel the order and refund the money. This is acceptable, sort of. I would expect to see the refund on my card appear that night when he batches out. He has an upset customer who's money he still has with no intentions of sending product. Needless to say, the refund was not put through that evening. I will continue to watch for it until the end of the week. At the 6 week mark (which I believe we will make it to) I will have to call the CC company and dispute the charges, and that's great, because I tons of free time to waste sitting on hold.

This has been the only company I have had dealings with in the last 3 months that has taken longer than 10 days from the date my order was placed to get product to my door. As a reference I have ordered 10 rifles from 5 different vendors (Widener's included in that 5).

Sorry for the rant, but if you see something there you like, my suggestion would be to pay $10 more for it at someplace like Classic, AIM, SOG, or one of the many other places you see sponsoring the firearms forums.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Widener's seems like it is really going downhill. I live about twenty minutes away, and used to drive over and pick up ammo, etc. Now, due to "excessive volume," they no longer open the store to walk-in customers. Also, they will charge your credit card on the day you place your order online, but they are about 3-4 weeks behind in filling and shipping orders. They also removed the "C&R Firearms" link on their website about a month or so ago, so I wonder if they over-sold stock that they did not have, which might explain the lame excuse you received, as well as the fact that you did not receive the item you ordered.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am placing an order for some 7.5 swiss this week... we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well, I got my Swiss ammo, and I must say that this time it went rather smoothly. I got to go pick it up today, so I got to save shipping charges. I spoke to one of the guys working in the back, and he said that they were still a couple of weeks behind in their shipping, but they had hired a few more people, and hoped to have things caught up soon. He did say, much to my chagrin, that they were thinking about not opening the store back up to walk-ins, and focusing solely on internet orders.

I asked him about the C&R rifles, too, Zer0Daze, and he told me that they were having "some issues" with them, but that they hoped to have it all worked out soon, and have them back up on the site before long. He did tell me that I could email them and that they would get in touch with me when they became available for sale again. Yeah... don't think I will hold my breath on that one.

BTW, they are expecting a large shipment of Wolf .223 and 7.62x39 next week. He told me not to get too excited, because he had no idea what Wolf considered a large shipment to be (10 cases? 100 cases?), and also that their prices have gone up, but how much he did not know. When I asked him how it was that he did not know how much ammo they were getting, he just laughed and said that these days, placing an ammo order goes like this:

"Wolf ammo factory, how can I help you?"

"This is Windener's Shooting supplies... send me all of the ammo you have available."

"OK, what calibers?"

"All of them."

"OK, we will add you to the list, thanks for calling."

Then they just wait for a call saying that Wolf is sending them something.

I wish this was a publicly traded company... at least some businesses are doing well in this economy. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts