Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure how to start this thread.......I was at first sooooo excited to have bought my first hi-point. I choose the C9 due to some of the positive reviews I had read on the gun and of course the life time warranty.

I took the C9 to the range and the rounds would not feed if I had 8 in the clip. I had read where others have had this issue so I just ran 6 for a while. I also kept 8 in the clip at home just to weaken the spring. I have over 500 rounds thru it and it stiil will not feed w/8 in the clip. It is also showing some wear from where the bullet is ramming into the angled piece inside the chamber. This is also now causing the gun to jam and fail to feed any of the rounds at any given point.

This was bad news but alas I had my warranty......or so I thought. I have sent Hi-point emails for 3 days now and still no response. I call the listed number and it goes to a fax machine. Their customer service is poor at best.

I really wanted this to work. The gun really fits me well being that I am a big guy. The weight does not bother me and I think the gun itself looks great. It is the bad customer service and the fact that they continue to put out a bad clip/gun combo that does. This seems to be an easy fix, getting them to contact me to give me the info on how to ship and where to send it to seem to be the big problems

Sorry to vent but I had to do it somewhere.

·
Registered
63 Posts
wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm supposed to go at lunch tomorrow and pick up my own C9. Hopefully soneone else will pipe up and get you some good contact info, or even help you troubleshoot.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how this works out.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well you have to be patient with the emails. They will eventually respond. Sounds like you have the wrong phone number which can be fixed very easliy. 866-948-4867. Sounds like you have not seated you rounds properly.  Trust me you can get that thing to work. How long did you leave the mag loaded for before firing?

P.S. I just tested the phone number and it works.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I sent them two emails that never got returned. I just called them. AS long as it is during business hours, they should answer. I figured that they were too busy to be on the 'net, and i am ok with that.

·
Registered
638 Posts
When sending them an email did you include you firearm's serial number, your phone number, your address, your name? I have ordered parts thru the email before and recieved answers and they have sent me parts thru there. It isn't a huge company... if they aren't answering the phone it is for good reason I am sure. Just keep trying you will get through. If not today try tomorrow.

·
Banned
401 Posts
I honestly have to say, this is the first time I have heard someone say Hipoint has poor service, everything and every time I have delt with them, I have had nothing but a great experience as has most of the others that post on this website, I can tell you that I run a small company and just like today, we have a major problem going on with our customers, and have not been able to get or answer emails all day, it is no uncommon for smaller companies to have situations that prevent answering emails, normally it is because we have other situations that are happening that prevent us from getting to the computer...

You want to have some fun, try getting a hold of Remington and getting to the correct dept!!! Yikes that is an exercise in frustration, another one is Cabela's, man I spent over an hour in Cabela's trying to get an answer on Sunday, and got nothing but the run around! I finally gave up and headed for home..

In my opinion, Hipoint is probably one of the most responsive companies in the firearms business..

Dp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for the phone number. I will try it at around 10-11am on Wed. I really want to keep this gun.

As far as my seating of the bullets, I am sure they are set right. Like I said used to fire fine with 6 in the clip.....just not 8. And for some reason when I tried to use 8 it seemed to either damage or wear an inner piece of the gun when it FTF.

With the clip, I have owned the gun for over a month and the only time I did not have the clip full was during transport and while at the range.
This is the major reason that I waited so long. I have read just about everywhere that the clip needed to be broken in on some of the C9s.

Again I want this to work. I like the idea of the hi-point gun. Its inexpensive, accurate as all hell, and has very little recoil, and they are in my home state. I just need it to feed in order to shoot.

I will post Wed. evening to let you all know how my attempt went. I really hope I can send it in and get a quality repair. I just took my CHL courses and will have my license on Thursday. I need the gun or my license is a piece of paper.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The inner place that you speak of is called the feed ramp. The wear that you see is normal. Hi-Point paints their feed ramps, as the bullets are chambered they slowly scrape off the paint. 99.9% of the time the natural removal of the paint will make your gun feed flawlessly. However, I think you have more of a mag problem than a gun problem.

Try this: Use a pencil, pen, or screwdriver to push the spring and follower down. Use a nail or other similar shaped strong item and slide it through one of the holes on the side of the mag to hold the spring in place, but leaving the follower loose. Use some needle nose pliers to grab the follower and remove it. While pointing the open end of the magazine into a bag or box, remove the nail to release the spring.
Inspect the spring for any breakages or bent sections. Inspect the mag and follower for any burrs, rough places, or bent or damaged places. If the spring is broken call Hi-Point for a replacement. If you find any burrs remove them with a small file or sandpaper. If you find that anything is damaged, again call Hi-Point.
If nothing is amiss, lube the inside of the mag, and the follower, then reassemble by reversing the directions above. Reload the mag and allow it to sit loaded until your next range trip.

Be patient with your gun and Hi-Point themselves, they will make it right no matter what it takes.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Also give the mag a good hard smack to set the rounds properly. I hit mine on my hand 4 or 5 times to assure that the rounds are properly set. If you notice when all 8 rounds are loaded in the mag the top 2 usually sit a little different than the bottom 6. This is normal, and is why seating the rounds properly will make a huge difference when firing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to speak to a hi-point rep today, thanks again to the person who posted their phone number. They also seem to think it is a clip issue. I bent the prongs on the end of the clip as instructed and it did not help. They told me to send it in and they would send me out a new one. Customer service ratings from me went from no stars to 4. Very easy to deal with....no complaints here accept that I still have not heard back from my emails. Well I guess now I know I need to call, easy enough.

Thanks to all that helped ease my mind during this. I still love my gun and would not trade it for the world. I cannot wait to go bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. All eight no prob. I am getting excited just thinking about it.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Glad that you were able to satisfactorily find a solution. We are here to help. Most of us have gone through any problem you can think of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I got to repost this. I really need some help if I can get it.

i sent my clip back in upon Hi-points request. They sent me out a new clip. I was soooooo exited to get it in only 3 days. I put 8 rounds of American Eagle 9mm ammo, pulled back the slide, and FTF.

I was at a loss. So now I know it was not the clip. I now need to find out what it is that is causing this first round not to chamber.

Let me give the best description that I can. When the slide is released from it's back position for loading, it grabs the round, puts the nose at almost 0 degrees and jams it into the feed ramp. It then stays there until I smack the bottom of the gun. After it is in the chamber and I shoot it seems to chamber them fine, but it will sometimes do the same thing on the second shot (mostly) and randomly throughout a hundred rounds (1-2 times per 100 on any FTF except the first round which happens every time 8 are loaded). If I load 6 it loads and shoots fine. I mean I have the occasional FTF or double feed but not often enough to consider it an issue. Also, and with 8 in the clip, if i really pull quickly and with some force on the slide to load the first round it will chamber it.

Is it possible that I have a bur on my feed ramp. If so is this something that I could just file off, should I go to a gunsmith, or should I send it to Hi-point for further repair.

I really do not want to do the latter since i CHL and I do not have a back up piece small enough to carry.

Anything would be great.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
If you have a dremel tool and some polishing compound you can polish the feed ramp yourself. There is a sticky on the proper procedure in the Announcements forum at the top of the main forum page under Administration.

If you need further assistance I am sure we'll be able to help you out. Just let us know what you need and we'll take care of you.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I see that smaking the bottom of the gun fixes your issue. Try hitting the butt of the mag several times before you put it the mag well. It really does make a difference. Also my C9 almost always needs a little help loading the first round. I leave my mags loaded constantly. However after the first round is loaded it is just fine. Polishing the feed ramp may help. It seemed to make a differnce for me. I just used a real fine grit sand paper.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Don't know if you have perused this yet during your perusal and lurking, but read it and see if you find anything of interest.

-->Go Here and read. My compilation of common malfunctions, their causes, and fixes. Go. Read. Be Knowledgeable.<--

Also, is it possible that you are riding the slide when you release it to chamber the first round? You must not touch the slide of the gun anywhere once you release it to charge the firearm. Try this, instead of pulling back and releasing the slide to charge it, pull the slide back and lock it back with the safety. Then load your mag via the mag-well as usual and release the safety without handling the slide, allow it slingshot forward of it's own volition.
Is it possible that you thumb or other part of your hand is coming into contact during charging or throughout the firing process? This could cause the same hang-ups that you mention.
Again, read through the above link and get back with us. I will dedicate my time to getting your C9 to fire flawlessly (I have a ton of free time as it is).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Also, is it possible that you are riding the slide when you release it to chamber the first round? You must not touch the slide of the gun anywhere once you release it to charge the firearm. Try this, instead of pulling back and releasing the slide to charge it, pull the slide back and lock it back with the safety. Then load your mag via the mag-well as usual and release the safety without handling the slide, allow it slingshot forward of it's own volition.
Is it possible that you thumb or other part of your hand is coming into contact during charging or throughout the firing process? This could cause the same hang-ups that you mention.
I have shot a lot, and, have had this problem with my Makarov. After reading this, it's sooooo obvious that I ride the slide. I need to watch this with my new 40.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I read your link and I think it may be time to get the slide ramp polished. I am definitely having the point down FTF, but again always on the first and sometimes on the second rounds. Spring tension in the clip is part of the problem, but I am almost positive that I have an issue w/ the feed ramp too. I can see in the chamber when it jams and it is pressed into the feed ramp and is unable to slide up it w/o some bump assistance.

I may still send it back to HP just to have them give the whole thing a one over. It may just be a bur on the feed ramp (my opinion at least) and HP could easily and professionally fix that issue for free.

Thanks to all fir the assistance and reassurances. I will post back when I get it back from HP. I will prob wait til Monday to send it back. Hope I can get it back in a week or so.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
You're most welcome fergferg. Keep us posted on how it turns out please?

G

·
I'm new to hand guns and last month bought my first C9. I have heard bad reviews that the gun was cheap and unreliable. After talking to a friend and read more review I still could not beat the price for a first gun... After I purchased it I went right to the range. Ran 100 rounds thru it and had 4 miss feeds and 2 of them were in the first clip... I didn't think that was to bad. Took it home, cleaned and lube it and was back at the range again today about 3 week later... 80 rounds, no miss feeds or problems of any type.. I'm happy with the performance.. The only issue I have had is that the retainer pin is slightly out of alignment from the cut out and causes a slight problem when punching out the pin. I guess I will need a small 1/32 shim at the safety to get the slot to line up... The best thing is the price and it shoots right on target.. Again only used it twice but I'm very satisfied with this C9... Haven't had any contact with customer service but I hope if I need to it is better that what you have had..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.