Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The White Trash Limo has been side lined. I'm thinking I got bad gas. I filled up twice last week at the new QT QuikTrip. Friday I filled up and drove home. Yesterday backing out to the gate. Car was running. Opened the gate, car died. It started right up I backed out and closed the gate. It died again. Wouldn't restart.

Hooked the Pygmy Pony (Husqvarna 22hp 46" lawn tractor) to it with a strap and pulled it back inside. That was fun! The car passed me!!! I called QT and told them about my concerns. I may get a call back tomorrow.

I went to town and got a new fuel filter. Pulled the old one. The fuel was really clean, no crud coming out. Cranked it, no start. I poked the Shrader valve on the fuel rail. Got sprayed with gas. Fuel pump is good! Disconnected the filter and pumped about half a Mason jar of fuel into it. It looked mildly cloudy. Set it out to see if things were going to separate. It didn't. I poured an ounce or two of water into the jar. It went straight to the bottom.

I didn't spray the intake with starting fluid. I may do that tomorrow if I have daylight when I get home. If it fires it's definitely the fuel.

Not sure what to think. I can't smell worth a damn after my little bout with covid. I had some Sar-Gel in the shop in my fuel parts/tool drawer. It will detect water in the fuel. It is 10 years old and has gone bad. Moisture in the air got to it. When you "stick" the underground storage tank it gets wiped on the gauging stick. Bottom couple of inches. It is white. If it comes up purple you have water in the fuel. I ordered some off Amazon it will be here in a few days. I'll pump some gas into the jar and wipe some of this on a screw driver and check it.

Rectangle Font Magenta Triangle Event

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: OldOutlaw

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You did change the fuel filter?
Yes. It's up there in the original post.

This thing has fairly new 3 coil packs and recently swapped out the wires. It runs like a scalded ape. 198K on the clicker. Doesn't use oil, or leak it.

Reactions: Rerun and histed

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll give it a shot of starting fluid sometime this week.

As far as "dry gas" usually is isopropyl alcohol. The fuel is already 10% alcohol.

If starting fluid doesn't work I'll borrow a scanner.

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drain the tank (if possible) and fill er' up with ethyl. :D
I looked at the non-corn juice and said "naw that's $3.48 a gallon."

Pump Ethyl?

:love:

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That so?

Down here, it's usually methanol.

eldar
Years ago there was some in a yellow bottle that was isopropyl.

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only use good gas with a higher octane. And toss in seafoam every few tanks. I keep Heet for just incase. Since I stopped buying crap gas it has not been a issue.
I do Marvel Mystery oil in the gas. It keeps the injectors really clean. I have looked at them. Really clean.

As a recovering fuel hauler I'll let you in on a little secret. The gas all comes from the same storage. They put additives in as it is loading into the truck per brand. When you haul gas the book to enter supplier codes is longer than George Floyd's arrest record.

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
New tanks are mostly plastic

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Racetrack, Raceway and some others sell "bottom tier" chemicals. When the big storage tank at the bulk plant gets down to a certain level they sell it cheap. It sucks for the drivers as sometimes you run out of allocation then you have to run to a different loading rack down the road to get the product. Exxon was the main source around here for Racetrack etc. Don't ever get caught pulling into Exxon with already full compartments. They will lock you out permanently.

I use the Marvel Mystery oil to do a top ring lube for the engine. Ethanol gas doesn't have as much lubricity as "real" gas. It is rough on some GM fuel pumps. When I pulled my intake to fix the end gasketwhere oil was leaking 160-170K took a peek at the injectors. They were like new. I bought the car @150K had all the repair receipts. AFAIK original injectors. It evidently cleans and lubes the injectors. Saturday I will borrow a scanner and check it on Sunday. My fuel paste showed up today.

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Water paste showed it was gas, no water. Sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body and cranked it. Nothing. Stuffed a wire into a spark plug wire grounded it to the door latch, nothing.No codes for anything. It may be a fuse going into the ICM, or the ICM is dead. '92-05 takes the same ICM. PullaPart is full of these cars. New ones are $80-$186. First early day a trip to the yard is in order. I'll get one for the other car too. Hopefully $15 each.

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
And BP had Envigorate............no idea. Much of your mileage is determined by the nut behind the wheel. Even that is going away.

Freightliner has GPS monitored cruise control.It knows the grade you are are going up and backs off the throttle before the crest of the hill, adds fuel before you climb it. Your speed is all up and down. When you set the cruise it says +- "X" mpg. It's got to piss off the guy behind you.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It does. Least now I know it's not always the driver's fault
Well we usually run out of steam pulling hills. The tr3 I drive has 470hp . A friend has 650, still slows down.

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I know my Ranger pickup gets 31 mpg with Chevron on the highway.
29 on Exxon.
24 - 27 with Shell and Gulf.

Chevron is too expensive for my poor self - $3.25/gallon.

eldar
I had a '93 Corolla until a guy did a U-turn on I-40 in front of me. I did some testing. 87 E10, 89 E10, 93 E10, 87, 93. No matter what (at that time) it came out to $.08 per mile driven. Got to figure out your cost per mile.

Buy Chevron, feed my retirement!

·
Premium Member
21,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
With my car octane ratings and brands don’t matter. What does matter is 100% gas or E10. I can go from 29mpg to 33.5mpg by running 100% gas.
What wa interseting on that Corolla the owners manual said it had 11.75:1 compression. Yet said 87 was all you needed. Good running car. It splattered at 260K. :oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts