Premium Member
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
New tanks are mostly plastic

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
I do Marvel Mystery oil in the gas. It keeps the injectors really clean. I have looked at them. Really clean.

As a recovering fuel hauler I'll let you in on a little secret. The gas all comes from the same storage. They put additives in as it is loading into the truck per brand. When you haul gas the book to enter supplier codes is longer than George Floyd's arrest record.
Always suspected this. Had a Gulf driver tell me the same thing years back

·
Registered
720 Posts
I used to run Marvel Mystery Oil through my '98 Explorer periodically. Had 213k miles on her when I sold here and ran like a champ. My Edge now has a special gas inlet throat that does not allow any additives unless you use a stupid adapter. I usually run gas only from 'Top Tier' stations but don't know if that really does any good other than drain my wallet.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
@Rerun - 3.58 in my AO. Rumor's got it at 4.25 by March. We love our governor :cautious:

• Wow

·
Premium Member
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Racetrack, Raceway and some others sell "bottom tier" chemicals. When the big storage tank at the bulk plant gets down to a certain level they sell it cheap. It sucks for the drivers as sometimes you run out of allocation then you have to run to a different loading rack down the road to get the product. Exxon was the main source around here for Racetrack etc. Don't ever get caught pulling into Exxon with already full compartments. They will lock you out permanently.

I use the Marvel Mystery oil to do a top ring lube for the engine. Ethanol gas doesn't have as much lubricity as "real" gas. It is rough on some GM fuel pumps. When I pulled my intake to fix the end gasketwhere oil was leaking 160-170K took a peek at the injectors. They were like new. I bought the car @150K had all the repair receipts. AFAIK original injectors. It evidently cleans and lubes the injectors. Saturday I will borrow a scanner and check it on Sunday. My fuel paste showed up today.

·
Premium Member
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Water paste showed it was gas, no water. Sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body and cranked it. Nothing. Stuffed a wire into a spark plug wire grounded it to the door latch, nothing.No codes for anything. It may be a fuse going into the ICM, or the ICM is dead. '92-05 takes the same ICM. PullaPart is full of these cars. New ones are $80-$186. First early day a trip to the yard is in order. I'll get one for the other car too. Hopefully $15 each.

·
Registered
720 Posts
As long as we're talking gas and additives maybe one of you all that know more that I can answer a question. I have heard from a few 'credible' sources that the only additive that does anything at all is Chevron Techron. All others are just snake oil (which might actually work...) Heck, I remember the days of Shell "Platformate" and it was the SUPER MILEAGE ADDITIVE!! So what say you on Techron?

·
Premium Member
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
And BP had Envigorate............no idea. Much of your mileage is determined by the nut behind the wheel. Even that is going away.

Freightliner has GPS monitored cruise control.It knows the grade you are are going up and backs off the throttle before the crest of the hill, adds fuel before you climb it. Your speed is all up and down. When you set the cruise it says +- "X" mpg. It's got to piss off the guy behind you.

Reactions: histed

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It does. Least now I know it's not always the driver's fault
Well we usually run out of steam pulling hills. The tr3 I drive has 470hp . A friend has 650, still slows down.

Reactions: Rerun and histed

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Well we usually run out of steam pulling hills. The tr3 I drive has 470hp . A friend has 650, still slows down.
Yeah, I drove strait trucks for about 18 years before I started teaching. Mack, Ford, Mercedes and GMC - all dogs on a hill. Especially the Mercedes - 5 speed with no split rear and the jump between 3 & 4 was a real challenge. 3 was too slow and 4 wouldn't pull it.

·
Premium Member
8,760 Posts
As long as we're talking gas and additives maybe one of you all that know more that I can answer a question. I have heard from a few 'credible' sources that the only additive that does anything at all is Chevron Techron. All others are just snake oil (which might actually work...) Heck, I remember the days of Shell "Platformate" and it was the SUPER MILEAGE ADDITIVE!! So what say you on Techron?
I know my Ranger pickup gets 31 mpg with Chevron on the highway.
29 on Exxon.
24 - 27 with Shell and Gulf.

Chevron is too expensive for my poor self - $3.25/gallon.

eldar

·
Premium Member
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I know my Ranger pickup gets 31 mpg with Chevron on the highway.
29 on Exxon.
24 - 27 with Shell and Gulf.

Chevron is too expensive for my poor self - $3.25/gallon.

eldar
I had a '93 Corolla until a guy did a U-turn on I-40 in front of me. I did some testing. 87 E10, 89 E10, 93 E10, 87, 93. No matter what (at that time) it came out to $.08 per mile driven. Got to figure out your cost per mile.

Buy Chevron, feed my retirement!

·
Premium Member
8,299 Posts
Minnesota requires 10% ethanol in car fuel unless it is a classic car with classic car plates... and those plates limit when and where it can be driven, no daily driver... Sunday drive yes, car show yes... no more than 3k miles a year last time I looked at it.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,092 Posts
Minnesota requires 10% ethanol in car fuel unless it is a classic car with classic car plates... and those plates limit when and where it can be driven, no daily driver... Sunday drive yes, car show yes... no more than 3k miles a year last time I looked at it.
Well in ND we laugh at MN daily with all the social mandatory changes you live with.

PS we can use what gas we feel like using. MN used to be a real nice place to visit. To much BS now

·
Premium Member
7,060 Posts
Well in ND we laugh at MN daily with all the social mandatory changes you live with.

PS we can use what gas we feel like using. MN used to be a real nice place to visit. To much BS now
You got that right. I won't even go up to that state to fish any more. I won't support any thing there with my hard earned dollars.

·
Premium Member
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
With my car octane ratings and brands don’t matter. What does matter is 100% gas or E10. I can go from 29mpg to 33.5mpg by running 100% gas.
What wa interseting on that Corolla the owners manual said it had 11.75:1 compression. Yet said 87 was all you needed. Good running car. It splattered at 260K. :oops:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts