Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to bake in a reflector oven off and on for some time. Does anybody have any tips on how to get it to work right. I can get the top to look done and still have raw dough on the bottom. I've looked on line and I appear to be setting it up correctly, but I can't get the thing to bake.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've been trying to bake in a reflector oven off and on for some time. Does anybody have any tips on how to get it to work right. I can get the top to look done and still have raw dough on the bottom. I've looked on line and I appear to be setting it up correctly, but I can't get the thing to bake.
what are you making?

how long are you letting it sit in the sun?

what angle is your oven at?

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I was attempting to make "blond brownies" or a chocolate chip cookie bar. A reflector oven used the heat of a fire to cook, and sits about a foot away from it. I adjusted it or moved it away from the fire but still had to bring the pan into the house and bake them to get them at least half done.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It has been a long time since I was a scout, but if I remember correctly, if the tops are browning faster than the bottoms, your fire is too large / hot. If the bottoms brown faster than the top, the fire is too low. What type of reflector are you using, ie., what general shape / dimensions? Is the shelf solid or a grate? The ones we used were like a box with the back side (the side away from the fire) sloping down at about 45 degrees, with a shelf grate in the middle. Also, what type of fire are you building? Are the flames above or below the shelf?

With some things (non-runny, non-batter based recipes), you can tilt the shelf a little to expose the bottom to the reflector more. It is usually best to keep it level, though, and just experiment with making the fire larger or smaller, and moving the reflector closer or father away from the fire, depending on your results.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Today I was attempting to make "blond brownies" or a chocolate chip cookie bar. A reflector oven used the heat of a fire to cook, and sits about a foot away from it. I adjusted it or moved it away from the fire but still had to bring the pan into the house and bake them to get them at least half done.
my mistake, I thought reflector oven meant solar cooker :)

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a commercial collapsable unit with a solid shelf. It forms a V or rather a > that is about 90 degrees with the shelf in the middle. I was using a fire on the ground with the reflector sitting vertical about one to one and a half feet away from the flames. I'm going to put foil over the aluminum pan and try again tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works. I was thinking and it really has been too long since I last played with this thing.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the foil sort of worked but it over doubled the time and still wasn't as done as it should have been, but the scouts ate it anyway. I guess I just have to work with it some more and see if I can get it right.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Since it has a solid shelf, you might think about just using a sheet of aluminum foil to bake on, or a sheet of parchment paper, so long as you are using dough and not batter. It will allow the bottom to get hotter since you do not have two layers of thicker metal blocking the heat.

Try building a tee-pee style fire such that the flames are about even with the grate that the food sits on. Not too big a fire, but keep plenty of fuel on hand. Begin with the oven about 8 inches from the fire, and move it back as needed. You may have to toy with it to get the right fire and the right distance, but once you have the right combination figured out, you should easily be able to replicate it in the future. Hey, it is a learning process... we ate our share of burned biscuits and half-baked brownies when I was a scout. In fact, a dutch oven buried in coals ended up being our favorite way of baking biscuits... and cobbler (yum). Keep at it, and you will be wowing the scouts with your campsite culinary creations before long.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
I agree with GTV about the dutch oven. I can cook just about anything you can come up with in my dutch ovens. A learning curve with them also but I'd have at least 1 with me at all times.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the problem may have been the cookie dough. I had three pans (I was optimistic) made up, we cooked one with the reflector oven, and the other two in a standard oven. Even the "normally baked" ones didn't turn out so well. I'll try again with something else and let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Jackpine, if I were you, I would buy a few cans of refrigerated biscuit dough (the cheap stuff, not Pillsbury), and just play around with different set-ups. It will be a lot cheaper than cookie dough.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jackpine, if I were you, I would buy a few cans of refrigerated biscuit dough (the cheap stuff, not Pillsbury), and just play around with different set-ups. It will be a lot cheaper than cookie dough.
Or he could learn to make cookies an biscuits from scratch and save even more money and learn a new postSHTF skill wile he is at it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
True enough, Idotusa... I was just thinking that it would be quicker and easier to use something already prepared in order to work out the technical aspects of using the oven.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I was using was the wal-mart brand of tubed cookie dough. I put it in an 8 1/2 " square pan and it just fit the oven from front to back. I think the dough may have been the problem. I'll try rolls or something else next time. Now I just have to wait for another day off that it isn't snowing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts