Balin’ Hay

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mr_flintstone, Sep 19, 2020.

1. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

Last week I cut my two hay fields because we were supposed to have 4 days of 85+ degree sun. Well, the first two days struggled to reach an overcast bit over 70, the third day only got a lousy 65, and the fourth day it rained. It rained the next day too, and only got to a cloudy 70 degrees yesterday. Today it got to a sunny 75, and after running the tedder over it, it is almost dry enough to bale. I’m sure I lost some nutrients out of it, and I’ve lost a quarter of the bales to tedding three times, but I guess it’s better than losing it all.

2020! The gift that keeps on giving.

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

3. I have goats so I buy a lot of hay. A lot of people think that hay is just grass so it should be easy. It's not. It's a tough business.

yworrydog, adam01364 and CowboyBob like this.
  4. mr_flintstone

I wholeheartedly agree. Grass grows, as grass does, but the hay making process is a little more involved than many might think; especially in the fall. Cutting it is easy, but the rest isn’t guaranteed to be. You have to balance the growth of the hay against the available weather. Where my hay is, it takes at least 3 good days of 80+ degrees. If the weather doesn’t cooperate, you lose part or all of your hay. If you don’t get enough growth before it turns cold, you lose part or all of your hay. If you cut early, there’s a better chance your hay will dry, but you won’t have as high a yield. And most importantly, it always rains just when you need to bale.

Oh, and another meme.
    74F1211E-98BD-4D30-A682-DEA57D3A4F94.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. mr_flintstone

Last 90 bales going to the barn. Finally got it baled. C802962C-A19C-4FCC-A3C6-16487D423C14.jpeg

1024Megabytes, SWAGA, Greg B. and 5 others like this.
  6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Good stuff. Must feel like the weight of the world just lifted off of your chest.

By the way, are you driving a Massey-Furgusen?

7. mr_flintstone

Not that good, but one of the monkeys on by back just flew away.

Nah, that’s a ‘58 Ford Workmaster 641. It's old, but it still gets things done.

Rerun, moona11 and OldOutlaw like this.
  8. Think1st

Florida
    One thing about those old tractors--they can run forever. I learned to drive a tractor on an early '60s Massey when I was in high school. Its been decades since I've seen one like it, but the cowling and headlights on your Ford reminded me of it.

9. mr_flintstone

One like this?

68CE0083-7D67-4F15-85CD-D84B1AD54678.jpeg

I never noticed it before, but they are kinda similar.

I guess that makes sense though. Until 1953, Ford was partners with Ferguson. It would stand to reason that Fords and Massey-Ferguson wouldn’t have diverged too much by the late 50s/early 60s.

10. Think1st

Florida
    Yep. That's the one. I had learned to drive a manual transmission in a car before that, and it helped a lot. My buddy had never learned to drive a manual, though, so he forgot about the clutch when he tried to stop. That tractor had so much torque that even when he dialed back the hand throttle, he couldn't figure out why it wouldn't stop. It was like watching a slow-motion disaster scene as he approched the wall of the barn at about 2 MPH, where he was supposed to park it after the orientation. Fortunately, he heard us and understood to press the clutch before doing too much damage. It was a fun day.

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Baling hay, the 2 most dreaded words when I was a kid. We helped Grandpa and I always got stuck in the hayloft because I got way more hay in there than my brothers and sisters did. I used every nook and cranny and didn't leave gaps between bales.

mr_flintstone likes this.
  12. mr_flintstone

The hay loft has to be the hottest place on earth.

13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

With my allergies I have been in a hay loft twice. Both times I ended up in the hospital. So I don't like them either