Ballistic on 9mm vs 45acp

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by jbander, Jun 14, 2015.

1. jbander

jbander Member

Went to pick up my gun and I ended up with a 5 day hold for the FBI, they told me it was my name probably , It's Anderson in Minnesota, which is the most common name here. Anyone else had that problem, If it's something else I don't have a clue. That gave me the opportunity to have some fun with ballistics. I don't see how the ballistics of a 9mm can come anywhere close to a 45acp, now that should start some arguments. Other then number of bullets and weight. Comparing the same bullet weight on both guns and the 45 becomes a monster over a 9mm. Any thoughts.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Thought? Yea, read the 9gazillion other posts on this exact topic. This is probably the most commonly asked question here, at least once a month. Next most common being a tie between "which caliber is best for SHTF?" and "i want a 10mm hipoint".

3. slade601

slade601 Member

You can't punish him for that one!

4. james45

james45 Member

Price,9mm is a lot cheaper.The difference between the ballistics matters very little with a well placed shot,which is what is at the end of this road...shot placement.

5. I'll stay out of the caliber discussion and answer your first question: People with common names get delayed *all*the*time*. So if you plan on buying a lot of guns (like Melvin, for example?) you should look into getting a upin (the Fed form asks for you to put it down if you have one).

I once saw a uniformed State Trooper get denied at a gun show, and he was really, REALLY, angry. (They could have sold tickets to THAT little side show.)

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It is all about shot placement--with the biggest bullet possible. Yeah, I know. We've all repeated our points billions of times within this same thread, but it is fun to stir the.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

The ammo forum is a treasure trove of info.

8. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    Size of the bullet isn't the only factor. Speed is a major factor. The 9mm bullet travels faster than the .45 cal

A .223/5.56 bullet is way smaller than a 9mm bullet and but up with almost 4 times the energy. I've seen a .223 bullet go thru 1/2" steel where a .454 casull just dented the same steel plate.

The 9mm bullet and the .357 bullet are essentially the same size, one travels a lot faster and does a bunch more damage.

While you are waiting, perhaps you should brush up on your physics...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  9. colthrash

colthrash Member

ballistics be damned, shoot what you like. go forth and make holes in things. (.45 that is..)

10. jbander

jbander Member

Actually my physics are fine, Ya that actually was the trick part of my question,(same size bullet) in general terms The 45 will shoot the same weight bullet as the 9mm at a muzzle velocity of about 40-50% faster. Or put another way the 45 will shoot a 185 gr bullet at the same speed as the 9mm shooting a 125 gr bullet with a 27% bigger hole(all numbers of mine are for the same brand/model comparison..
    Hope no one really cared about this rhetorical comment, I'm in the process of figuring out what brand, actually what everything To know about what bullet type and maker and model, to have for my bullet of choice for protection. Mine is a Hi Point 45 ACP.
    I enjoy peoples opinions on a lot of things , debate is entertaining, not always easy or friendly but to me always entertaining.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

Interesting quote on a local radio gun show, "hollow points in 9 are designed to hopefully expand to a .45."

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Speed is a factor, but so is mass. There is also the diameter of the wound channel and how much energy gets transferred to the target, rather than being wasted through it. You can't take just mv^2 as your sole measure. Bullet design plays a major factor. If you do want to just measure mv^2 then you have to compare the same bullet types. FMJ vs. FMJ is the best way to do that. .45 wins against 9mm in that category. If you want to look at other bullet types, then maybe this chart might be worth a look:

Attached Files:

13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

ATF delays are for three working days. If you gave your SSN it eliminates soundex problems. Electronically submitted 4473's tend to go to delay quicker, mostly for backlog of agent queues for their review if there is anything that flags it.

If your State allows it, get a CCW permit, if you have a CC permit from your State of residence you do not need to have the background check done per ATF regulations.

14. jbander

jbander Member

The latest

I got my state permit to require and thought it would be a slam dunk but the fed FBI Ok wasn't so easy so I have to wait.
    The state application that I sent to the county sheriff was dated with not enough time to process, so they asked me to come to the Government center to redate and initial my application. I got to their parking lot and waited for a car to pull out of a good parking spot(it has to be wide ,because of my significant others 2003 perfect PT cruiser), I worry about bodily harm to myself coming home with a car ding. When the leaving parked car cleared their parking spot, I pulled in and right when I was behind the car next to my significant other approved parking spot . It started to back out. I slammed on my brakes and hammered the horn a dozen times as the car slowly, at about 1 Mile an hour, backed into the side of the Cruiser. I wasn't very happy about that, so I got out of the car and the wife came out of the passenger side of the car and told me they had the right of way always backing up. I said they didn't and since we were right at the sheriffs office to get a cop, at that point she told me her husband/driver was a cop. Oh good grief
    So the other cop came out and spent multi minutes talking cheerly with the cop driver and wife. So I thought this might not turn out so well. He came to me and in just 20 seconds I told him what happened and from there I got special attention . Him Looking and checking on my license,insurance and me. Which of course he didn't do for the cop. He came over chuckled and said it was the other cops fault and he would record it on his paper work and he gave me the number of the paper work so I could easily access it.
    But dam I still had to drive home to the little women.

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

I have a permit, still have to do a BGC. In TN anyone that passes a BGC walks out with bang-bangs. In FL you have to wait unless you have a permit. I wonder if my TN permit would have allowed me to buy a long gun down there and walk out the door with it?

16. jbander

jbander Member

It's all numbers but that doesn't make it any less fun to talk about

You can shoot a 68gr bullet at 2260 muzzle v with a 45+p and and with the same brand/type bullet you can shoot the smaller 64Gr bullet only at 1950 MV with a 9MM +p. Again all my comparisons with my original comment where comparing apples to apples , same brand/type. Ya 50 years ago I played around with ballistic coefficients and sectional densities of rifle bullets. Can't remember a thing about it now. I've done a lot of bow hunting and tuning the bows they have now takes a lot of math to get the bow to do what you want.

17. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

In Texas, if you have a CC permit issued by Texas you bypass the need to pass the background check with BATFE for a firearm purchase. You still complete the 4473, but the check does not need to be done. This is in compliance with the BATFE regulations. If your State relies only on the BATFE and not a State background check for a purchase, and you possess a CC permit from your State of residence, the BATFE allows you to bypass the background check. The purchase must also be in your State.

18. jbander

jbander Member

I can look it all up but since I'm here what do all the letters stand for. I got a state permit to acquire a handgun, is there one for federal also that allows you to buy without going through the FBI check?, They gave me a 5 day hold and I did give them my SS number.

19. jbander

jbander Member

Actually multiple common comments supports that point and that is where I'm at now as a hand gun owner, So what ever is supported by others or just the slight addition to almost the same reply gives me exactly what I'm looking for. So if anyone has anything to add feel free.
    I plan to be able to use the gun and hit what is reasonable with the gun, I'll shoot as much as needed to achieve that.

20. jbander

jbander Member

Real life ballistics have to be a endless debate, I was thinking, do you want the bullet to go through 99% of the live target retaining the maximum impact or as fast as possible expanding the bullet as much as possible but shooting through the live target. With the size and relative low muzzle velocity of the 45, that seems to be a major point of contention with that specific projectile .