Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my red dot with a scope. The eyes just aint getting any better.

I want the scope to be a little more accurate than the red dot was, what is the rise and fall of a 180 gr .40 out to 100 yds?

I know the 995 if you zero at 25 yds you are on at 100, what is it for the .40

Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wow, thats a tough question. Depends on a lot of factors. Bullet coeficient, muzzle velocity, sight height above the bore, etc, etc. I usually use some midrange data from my Lee manual, and this calculator...
http://www.handloads.com/calc/

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I didn't think of the factory, but would it have info that would pertain to the barrel length of a carbine? That would make a difference wouldn't it?

Again, appreciate the help.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
factory specs are usually out of a 4.5" test barrel, but some manufactueres now publish carbine data.

you cna also call the mfg customer service lne and ask, they are required by law to give out ballsitic data if asked.

SW

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what I got, am I reading this correctly that right at 20 yds will hit in about the same spot as 100 yds?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
by the numbers, yes. Real world, possibly not. it depends on too many factors to say for sure until you actually go out and shoot it at that rnage. the calacualtor is just to give you a rough idea of where to start.

SW

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully that will be close enough, I want it sighted in at 100 yds but will start out at 20 yds or so to get it in the general ball park.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
with no scientific data or reasoning whatsoever, I went with 75 yds for my 4095. from a rest with iron sights. I have yet to put a scope on.

G

·
C1, I was going to do this exact thing, but I would like to have the ballistics down and sight it in as mentioned above. This way your on at two different yardages and should be able to cypher the adjustments needed for 75yrds and out to 125-150.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
C1, I was going to do this exact thing, but I would like to have the ballistics down and sight it in as mentioned above. This way your on at two different yardages and should be able to cypher the adjustments needed for 75yrds and out to 125-150.
Two words: Kentucky Windage. but you make a good point.
I did this with Win JHP ammo, which is what I keep in mags for defense. I practice at varying ranges and have shot out to 200 yds with acceptable but varied (per the wind and heat) accuracy. It's all about practice and familiarity. I often think IF i put red dot on (unlikely) that I should sight it for 25 yds, about the max I would ever need in a defensive situation. Usually if anyone asks, I say 50 yds for BZO on the 4095, which I think is about the practical useful range for the carbine. I consider 75 an absolute max for effectiveness, though many would argue. I like long shots...
If I needed to take out something farther than that, in a perfect world I would have my m1a, but it never hurts to practice.
If I ever break down and get a chrony I'll do some really specific testing and reporting, but it isn't high on my list of priorities, what with needless food and ammo stocking and all :wink:
Cipher, I love that word. "...now let's see, naught times naught equals naught..."--Jethro the Bodine.
the basic idea is the same between methods, you can either do it the scientific way or the hands on way, and I ain't no scientist.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sight my "long" weapons in at 100 yds

Got the carbines done this morning, will post in the range report section in a little bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts