Barrel frame support question

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Ps1474, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Ps1474

Ps1474 Member

Greetings!

I recently purchased a used 995TS in an ATI stock. I learned after I bought the rifle about how the ATI stock can void the warranty, and seeing what a "great" job the original owner did installing the stock I can see why. For example it didn't have the buffer installed so the bolt would over travel and hit the extremely hard stock!

I'm working on getting the old girl up to stuff and after looking at the exploded parts view I'm wondering if he also lost the barrel frame support. The schematic has the word "optional" in parentheses so I'm not sure if it had or needs one or not. Do I need to call and order one?

Thanks!

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

the only thing that HP directly says will void your warranty, is using ProMag extended magazines. that being said, if you ever need to send it back in for service, you will have to put it back in a factory stock, but, using the ATI stock will not void your warranty.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Actually, there have been reports that the factory has said it will.

But it hasn't yet.

And according to the Facebook page...which I don't fully trust since the "tactical stock" fiasco...the ATI does void the warranty.

https://www.facebook.com/HiPointFirearms/posts/430381210350190

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  4. talon

talon the banned wagon

are those published reports? or word of mouth? i have SEEN where HP says promags void your warrant, ive never seen anything in any HP pamphlet or on thier website claiming that the ATI stock will.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep. See my edited post.;)

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

pffffttt.....lol, they dont even know what ts stands for on thier own ts line of stocks. ;)

7. kyguy

kyguy Member

ATI stocks will void ya warranty

8. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Do you have a verifiable instance or an example of warranty work being refused or voided by HP for an ATI stock being used? I've only heard second and third hand stories. I've always wondered about HP's warranty policy on carbines returned in them, because I prefer to run a modified ATI stock instead of the HP stocks. But I've always kept the originals, just in case.
    Now that ATI has ended the sale of its old "stock" of HP-ATI stocks, maybe ATI is tooling up to release a revamped 2nd design for the HP Carbine, LOL? Hmmmmmmm, that would be interesting.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  9. talon

talon the banned wagon

the link ajole posted from HP's facebook page was a reply to a person asking if the ATI stock voided the warranty, and was replied with a yes. however, if you put your HP back in its original stock before sending it in for warranty work, they will never know. it doesnt do any permanent damage or change. sending it to HP in the ati stock, i could see them not wanting to touch it, as its not thier product, but you wouldnt send your new Ford into service for warranty work if you swapped in a chevy engine either. so, while they say yes, all you need to do is swap back to the original stock before sending it in, and you'll be fine.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No, never, not on two different HP forums, for over 6 years; have I ever heard of anyone being turned down.

Do what talon suggests, as you seem prepared to do, if it ever needs to be sent in.

11. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Supposedly, like the Promag magazines, the ATI stock causes an identifiable damage to the receiver due to it being more rigid than the factory stock. If memory serves me right, Hipoint can identify this damage as resulting from ATI stocks based on their experience getting them in for repairs. I think it causes stress cracks in the receiver somewhere but I don't remember exactly.

12. kyguy

kyguy Member

They can tell if it's been in a ATI stock where the screw goes into the bottom of the stock leaves a mark on the frame just saying u might get away with it once but if sent in again with same problem they might not fix it

13. Ps1474

Ps1474 Member

When I called Mom to order replacement parts I was told that the use of the ATI stock can void the warranty. But back to the question at hand does anyone have a 995TS that came with the barrel support?

14. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Are you talking about the barrel clamp that comes with the ATI stock kit? If so, all the ATI stocks come with it, it may have been overlooked by the previous owner during assembly.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/img/cms/instructions/HIP9000.pdf

Refer to step 12, figure 13

15. Ps1474

Ps1474 Member

Nope. It part number 36 on the parts list in the manual.

16. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Not sure, never disassembled my TS yet.