Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in an NRA magazine at a machine drawing of a Walther pistol and noticed that they showed the barrel length to be 4.3 inches from muzzle to the rear portion of the ejector port... Is this a "standard" way to measure or do barrel length methods vary from gun to gun...??

·
Administrator
24,293 Posts
@DickO so the last two posts you made about this, almost 1 year to the day ago oddly enough, where you were given the right answer didn't satisfy your curiosity?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@DickO so the last two posts you made about this, almost 1 year to the day ago oddly enough, where you were given the right answer didn't satisfy your curiosity?
Well I'll be danged... Sorry about that... please disregard...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Bill... Well, I am a bit embarrassed about it, so tried to double check earlier posts & didn't come up with such a thing... but I'm sure admin's got a handle on it and I'm not one to make waves... at any rate, saw another one of those drawings today and they used the same standard that I had asked about... just one of those funny little things... :)

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
FYI...There is no standard way to measure pistol barrel length in the US. Not sure about Europe.

Since the ATF has no regulation regarding the length of barrel, there’s no standard way to measure.

Depending on things....were they measuring to the port, or to the bolt face immediately inside of it?

·
Super Moderator
28,290 Posts
FYI...There is no standard way to measure pistol barrel length in the US. Not sure about Europe.

Since the ATF has no regulation regarding the length of barrel, there's no standard way to measure.

Depending on things....were they measuring to the port, or to the bolt face immediately inside of it?
Well, the ATF does have a standard when it comes to how to measure longarm barrel lengths. I would assume that if the ATF cared about handgun barrel lengths, they would measure it the same way: from muzzle to breach-face.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: FlashBang

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
But they DON'T...so they don't.:thumbsup:

Applying your measurement method to revolvers, like it is used for revolver carbines, would be funny. Everyone's 2" snubby would suddenly be a 3" chubby.:D

·
Administrator
24,293 Posts
Thanks, Bill... Well, I am a bit embarrassed about it, so tried to double check earlier posts & didn't come up with such a thing... but I'm sure admin's got a handle on it and I'm not one to make waves... at any rate, saw another one of those drawings today and they used the same standard that I had asked about... just one of those funny little things... :)
Come on now, man. You have 8 posts and most of them are about barrel length. Don't act like I'm making it up.

https://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/threads/size-matters.333091/

·
I Stand With Talon
6,439 Posts
The BATFE Agents and Examiners will go by the following in determining barrel length: For all bolt actions or semi-auto firearms the length of the barrel is calculated from the end of the muzzle to the bolt face when the bolt is in its fully forward closed position. For revolvers the length is calculated from the end of the muzzle to the beginning of the forcing cone.

·
Premium Member
9,199 Posts
The BATFE Agents and Examiners will go by the following in determining barrel length: For all bolt actions or semi-auto firearms the length of the barrel is calculated from the end of the muzzle to the bolt face when the bolt is in its fully forward closed position. For revolvers the length is calculated from the end of the muzzle to the beginning of the forcing cone.
I'm afraid you're wrong about how they measure the revolvers. They actually measure from the part where the bullets come out and back to where they go in.

Sorry. When I read your explanation of how they measure barrel length, I had this sound of my late grandma's voice making that joke just sort of pop into my thoughts. That was her kind of humor. I had to post it.

·
Simple by choice
2,188 Posts
I'm afraid you're wrong about how they measure the revolvers. They actually measure from the part where the bullets come out and back to where they go in.

Sorry. When I read your explanation of how they measure barrel length, I had this sound of my late grandma's voice making that joke just sort of pop into my thoughts. That was her kind of humor. I had to post it.
A sausy old gal she was.
:)

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I was looking in an NRA magazine at a machine drawing of a Walther pistol and noticed that they showed the barrel length to be 4.3 inches from muzzle to the rear portion of the ejector port... Is this a "standard" way to measure or do barrel length methods vary from gun to gun...??
I don't know why but most people do measure the barrel from the muzzle crown to the end of the barrel, where the ejector port is. I personally DONT think that you should measure like that because you're adding the chamber length. It SHOULD be from muzzle crown to the beginning of the chamber. THAT is the barrel.

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
I don't know why but most people do measure the barrel from the muzzle crown to the end of the barrel, where the ejector port is. I personally DONT think that you should measure like that because you're adding the chamber length. It SHOULD be from muzzle crown to the beginning of the chamber. THAT is the barrel.
Not legally. Thanks to the ATF.

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
Welllllll...The short one is 24.8 and the longer one is 28.5.
Beat that without pulling out a shotgun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts