Barrel stoves

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by SHOOTER Z, Dec 17, 2007.

1. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

2. Great, now all I need is a barrel.

3. I used to have one of these many years ago. Bought a kit for $20 add door, legs, chimney connection, etc. I'd load that think up one/day and it would burn great, just like a $1000 wood stove. Saw it glowing red a few times too.

They are not a bad option if emergency, or for ongoing if money is tight - which it was for me at the time.

4. That gives me some real good ideas on another projest I am planning, thanks....

5. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

okay am I the only one picturing this in the center of your cabin?

6. heck no - ya want purdy? Or capable, functional, and inexpensive, and readily available just about any where? :lol:

7. I see a few problems. You need at least 18" clearance from any combustible materials. Also, every time you open the barrel to refuel it, you can get sparks to fly out into the room.

Also, make sure you properly sleeve the piping and make sure the seams are secured. You may not see smoke but carbon monoxide can leak out.

As far as the chimney cover, you'd be better off using a manual damper or one similar to a semi's stack. There would have to be alot of pressure in the pipe to open that contraption which could also force CO into your home...

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

8. I've got one of those blue plastic ones; wanna give it a try?

:lol: :lol:

9. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop Guest

I have been heating 2,000 sq ft of house with one for the last 20+ years. They work great. I just wish I could fine one made be Sotz (out of business), they made the best stoves.

10. I have used those barrel stoves for years. Love those things. If you install them right and actually solder your chimney stack piping, they are a VERY efficient form of heating any area. I plan on having one in my garage/mancave/hi-point hideout...... IF I ever get me a garage..... :roll:

11. I forget that point PS, the surface are of those is great = lot's of heat transfer. Also, need to install correctly, no issues there. The kits you buy allow you to control heat output / air, etc. Also - as for sparks flying out - the depth on a drum stove is about 3 feet - on a normal wood stove it's quite a bit less - so actually less risk of that - based on my experience with both of course.

12. Also check your local ordinances.

NFPA 211 forbids solid fueled heating appliances in garages.

The IFC is less clear but many local agencies adopt the NFPA code.

13. In New Mexico, as long as you install a firebrick base and wall covering around the back and sides of the stove, it's good to go. Since I used to lay brick and concrete block, I am capapable of doing my own work, I just have to use a mortar that is within the regs.

14. That and you're your stuck at Holloman. I shouldn't talk though, I spent 4 years overseas (Kadena the Rhein-Main) before the vortex swallowed me up and spit me out in Altus. :x

15. I have a friend in Altus.... I wonder if he's got a barrel stove, heard it's been REAL cold over there..... :wink:

17. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

This is what I hate about government... why is that anyone's business but your own? I feel like doing it anyway just because it is illegal. (Yay for civil disobedience.)

Hey does anyone know how this would handle coal?

18. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    Coal is rough on a stove. I have one of these.
    http://www.usstove.com/proddetail.php?prod=1537G
    They can usually be had for under 1k. I love it. You can use it regardless of if the power is on or off and the firebox is about as large as barrel. They handle coal as well but I haven't expiremented with it yet.

19. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

There's a lot of wood furnaces in garages in Maine So far no one has ever shut them down The last time. I read NFPA it was too many pages [I just skimmed thru it]

20. wood stoves

we used these in our big ( 14 x 16 , 16 x 16 and 16x 33 ft ) canvas tents for deer hunting in Michigan never got cold