Barska Red Dot scopes?

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by Joe Sixpack, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

http://www.barska.com/Red_dot.htm

anyone have any exp with their scopes? they look nice but are pretty cheap which makes me wonder about the quality.

i noticed they have duel color red/green dot scopes.

i like their 50mm red dot but was wondering if the 40mm duel color would be better, was gonna put it on my 995.

any thoughts?

2. joebob88

joebob88 Guest

Mine came with the same scope. It's like cheating. Once sited in you put the dot on what you want to hit and sqeeze the trigger. I have had to re site it in but I didn't have it screwed on tight enough.

3. mnrivrat

mnrivrat Member

I have no experience with this brand of red dot sight but I would think it compares with several others of its type. The cheaper end red-dots such as BSA & Tasco generaly work well. I have a 30mm Tasco on my 995 and that works out well. I wouldn't see a need to go behond 40mm because they start to get bulky in that size without realy doing much for you in the capability to pick up the dot.

5mm dot is a little on the large size and many prefer the 3mm . At closer ranges it doesn't make that much difference however.

By the way - these are sights and not scopes. They have a 1X magnification unless you buy the model with the adapter. Magnifying the dot however takes away from the ability to pick up the dot fast and with both eyes open.

4. CharlieOne

CharlieOne Guest

I have the Barska Red dot. I like it. It works, it was inexpensive, and it looks good. What else can you ask for?

5. I have a 1" tube Barska red-dot, and a 4x32 Barska rifle scope on my .22.
    They are inexpensive scopes, but in my opinion, they are decent. The reddot works flawlessly and maintains a consistent point of impact. The rifle scope is nice and clear and no issues after about 600 rounds through it. BUY IT ! .. you won't regret it.

6. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Crackhead prices on Barska scopes and many many other optic makers:
    http://www.opticsplanet.com
    I am in no way affiliated with this site, and it was given to my by another HPFF member. I have not ordered from them, but plan to when funds allow it.

7. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

ok so their decent for the price but has anyone tried their duel color ones?

in sure about opticsplanet, i tried to order a fobus holster and mag pouch from them.

it was backordered already but they dont have a stock indicator on their site.
    they said 7-10 days.. i gave them 14 at which time i called and asked if they was ever gonna ship it.. he said they had no ETA on it so i canceled.

they was the cheapest i could find but if they never have it then it's pointless.

they was friendly and gave me no guff though so it could have been a isolated insolented.. i might try them again but i would'nt have much faith.

8. The Barska line of optics are produced in Russia and imported to the US. They make decent scopes and red dot sights for general use, some of their high end products are as good as comparable products from major optic makers.

I would have no problem ordering a Barska product.

9. Rara

Rara Member

I have a Tasco that is EXACTLY the same as the Barska 40mm DC model shown on that page. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of Tasco's and other cheap models are produced by Barska, or whoever the original manufacturing facility is.

My Tasco seemed decent enough, but after about 6-700 rds through my ATI-stocked 995 it will occasionally blink out, and you have to tap on the scope for the dot to come back. I honestly don't expect it to survive much longer.

10. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

ok Rara so as far as the red/green dot is it worth the extra cost to get a duel color one?

can get the 42mm red for 19 or the 40mm DC for 43.

11. Rara

Rara Member

Well, my range is indoor, so I always use the red dot, but I could see the green being pretty useful in bright sunlight.

12. blkhwkfxr

blkhwkfxr Guest

This may be incorrect, so please correct me if I'm wrong here... I once read that the green dot was fielded due to the fact that the green dot effect night vision less that the red light. So as I understand it as long as you are not planning on doing alot of night firing, then the color of the dot is completely up to the users preference. As far as one being more visible over the other in day light is in your own eye. I personally see the red better in higher light levels than the green.
    The size of the objective is a case of personal prefference aswell. Anything over 30 mm, you're just over compensating LOL.
    And just for all those interested in semantics here, a scope is a suffix used in English, for devices or instruments which are looked through, or looked at, or are used for observing or demonstrating. A telescopic sight mounted on a firearm is also referred to as a scope but magnification does not define a scope. So by all means, please call them red dot scopes if you wish. =)

13. I've posted this before, but am impressed by the A1 Optic 42mm sight I purchased on eBay. (Just type: A1 Optic Red Dot in the search box). Decent price with shipping. A little heavier because it's made out of cast aluminum instead of plastic; all glass optics; red and green dots in various intensities.

And, as opposed to some manufactures, it's a true 42mm of glass, not just the size of the tube.

Check it out.

14. Green dots are for night use as it effects your night vision less than the red does. A co-worker is a big time coon hunter and has a red/green dot reflex type sight on his P22, he uses the green while hunting at night and the red for shooting during the day.

Only problem I have ever had with the red is it will wash out when shooting at targets that have the red/orange bulls eye. I think my next dot sight will be dual color and in the reflex type configuration.

15. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Wow! For a man who posted for semantics, (the expression in language), you sure have some errors in your expression. First, you sited a semantical issue, and didn't offer a solution!

So i pose a question to you. If it's incorrect to call a red dot... apparatus a scope, then what is the correct terminology for it... enlighten me, Buddy.
    I'm waiting. :lol:

16. blkhwkfxr

blkhwkfxr Guest

Actually if you had read my statement with some sort of acuity, I did and will again, offer the answer. I was refering to mnrivrat's post, correcting Joe Sixpack's use of the term "scope". I was simpley stating, in Joe Sixpack's defence, that the red dot scope/ sight can be referred to as either.
    I did not post for semantics sir, I posted in disdain of it. Perhaps next time you wish to pose a question, in the manner in which you did, you can read the entire thread instead of skimming over them for something you dont like about them.

Oh and if this sounds like I'm being an a$$... I am ... Quiting smoking , havent had one since the 1 st of Feb. =) Have a great friggin day !!!

:D

17. Hang in there, its worth the effort. 7 years no smokes now, and when I get a whiff somewhere it makes my stomach sick.

Good Luck!

18. GrOuNd_ZeRo

GrOuNd_ZeRo Gun Fanatic Member

lol I feel ripped off now, but I still like my BSA sight though, it works good enough.

I had to tape a cheap laser light to the end of my muzzle to laser-sight it, talk about ghetto.

One of these days I will invest in a boresighter but my wife is unhappy with every penny I spend on a firearm related article.

19. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

i ended up going with the 42mm red dot, could'nt justify the double cost fo the duel color model.

19 bucks the price does'nt exactly instill confidence but by the same token not a great gamble either.