Basic pump shotgun 101 question

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I'm a noob to just about anything firearms related

Yesterday I bought a 12 ga Mossberg 500 just to learn the basics of scatterguns.

It's weird. I load the tube, pull the fore stock back, look into the receiver and the shell's sitting in there loose like a duck in a pond. I could blow it out with strong enough breath. Move the fore stock forward and sure nuff the shell chambers. I mean there's no mechanism that holds the shell snugly prior to being chambered.

I'm used to the semiauto pistol operation where the round is always held snugly either by mag lips or by the chamber walls.

Is this kind of a pump gun feature I shouldn't even be asking about?

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I hope you're using dummy ammo?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuqNtxPrJ-I[/ame]

3. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Completely typical pump action behavior, as long as you're not trying to fire it upside down or laying on its right side its never an issue.

Pretty much any pump action anything and most lever actions do the same.

4. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Yep - dummy rounds

Yeah - using dummy rounds. Thanks for posting the vid.

5. rickm

rickm Member

Do it quick and you will never know its just sitting there. After you use it for awhile you will get it down to 1 smooth motion just keep it well cleaned and lubed and it will last you for years.

6. Ding ding ding.
    My 500. And my 336 30-30 are the exact same way

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    As long as you practice racking the pump back all the way, followed by an aggressive push forward to chamber the round and close the action, you'll be doing, manually, what semi-auto would be doing for you. It is plenty reliable. The key is aggressive cycling and movement of the pump fully to the rear before you move it back forward. If you don't do that, you'll risk having that little sheet of metal (the shell lifter) and the shell becoming jammed together inside the receiver.

8. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

I have the Mossberg Military version and an Ithaca pump, and like these other guys said, that's the way they roll. These pumps are designed for quick action pumps, not meant to be left lying open where dirt, trash, birds and fingers and God only knows can get into them. Like the man said, give it a quick shuck back and forward and it will function as advertised. You'll have much more important things to concern yourself with like that freakin recoil :eek:
    Welcome aboard