Be-86?

Discussion in 'Pistol Cartridge Data' started by RickC1, Jan 29, 2016.

1. RickC1

RickC1 Member

I just bought a pound of this new Alliant powder and will load some .45 230 XTP +Ps with it and see how the 4595 likes it this weekend.

I have not run into anyone who has tried this powder yet so comments on it are hard to find. AA#5 is my favorite powder for .45 ACP in terms of accuracy and velocity in my pistols, but I have always gotten a lot of gritty residue with that powder- and since the 4595 appears to be such a bear to take apart, I won't go there. I'd rather deal with the soot of Bullseye and Unique than that. AA#2 is another favorite of mine in many calibers, but it does not seem to be suited for +P in the .45 ACP.

Anybody tried BE-86 yet?

Rick

2. Hey, Rick,
    I haven't heard of, nor run across BE-86, any idea where it rates on the burning speed chart? Has any Load data been published on it? Will look to see if there is any available at the next Gun Show, here in central Florida.
    I usually use good old Bullseye on my H-P 45s, in spite of the "charcoal" soot, and it does REAL well with 3.8 Gr. and a 200 Gr. LSWC bullet, and is gangbusters in ALL my .45s at 25 yards.
    Cheers
    Fred (Honcho)

3. RickC1

RickC1 Member

Fred,

I'm sorry for the late reply, I have been tied up with work and have not been on this forum much lately. Not sure about the burn rate, but what I have read about it is it is similar to Power Pistol.

I've had a chance to shoot a couple hundred rounds loaded with it in my 4595 now (just posted some chrony numbers in the Range Report forum). I can tell you it's very accurate in my 4595, but it's just about as dirty as Unique. It doesn't smoke as much as Bullseye (one of my favorite powders!), but it's pretty sooty.

As far as working up +P loads in .45 ACP (which was my point in trying the powder), I'm really not seeing all that much velocity increase from the stouter Unique loads (published "book" loads) so I don't know if it's worth buying a pound of BE-86 if you already had a load you were happy with.

Rick

4. Hey, Rick,
    My turn to apologize for the tardy reply!
    I was able to pick up a pound of the new BE-86 at the last Orlando (FL) Gun show, the component sales dude was raving about it. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it would surprise the hell out of me if it's as good as my old standby, Bullseye (3.8 Gr. w/200 Gr.LSWC), that recipe seems to excel in ALL my .45s!
    I read an article by John Taffin in one of the Gun Mags, and he had gotten very good results with the new Hodgdon "CFE-Pistol" powder, and said it burns clean with excellent accuracy. Don't have his .45 ACP load recipe to hand, but will dig it up if you want to give it a shot.
    We're now up in Penna., for the summer, and none of the local gun stores seem to have CFE-Pistol, but one large G.S. does have CFE-Rifle, which is designed mostly to eliminate copper fouling in the .223.
    If I do turn it up, I'll give you a run down on it, and also how the BE-86 performed for me. (I have a Chrony with a printer, and will be able to give you MVs, if you want.
    Cheers,
    Fred (Honcho)

5. RickC1

RickC1 Member

I'd be interested in seeing that!

6. histed

histed Supporting Member

If you guys are interested, there's a good article in this month's Handloader Magazine (actually listed June/July, I think. Don't have it handy). Gives a good powder Profile and some data. Looks like an "improvement" on Bullseye???

7. RickC1

RickC1 Member

Thanks, I'll check that out. I shot some Bullseye loads right after some BE-86 loads in my 4595 Saturday. BE-86 does smoke less and has less muzzle flash than Bullseye. Hard to improve on it though, Ha!

8. histed

histed Supporting Member

Very true. If I could only have one pistol powder, it'd likely be Bullseye.

9. RickC1

RickC1 Member

Great article on BE-86- thanks for the heads up!

10. Hey, Rick!
    I swear I've been busier than a blind ****** at a weinie roast, but have finally located a pound of the new "CFE-Pistol", (had to travel 50 miles, one way, to find spmeone who had it!)
    Anyway, I've loaded a bunch of 9MM with it, to try in my Canik TP9, my two H-P C-9s, and my Walther P-38. Haven't had time to give them a shot, but will get back to you when I do. I can tell you this, it meters better than any powder I've ever used, in my Lee "Auto-Disc" P.M., and never "bridges", like Bullseye sometimes does.
    Still haven't tried the BE-86, (which as I understand, is the replacement for the old "Unique". Soon as I've run these 9MM off, will give the BE-86 a whack.
    Stay tuned!
    Cheers,
    Fred

11. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

You poor guy. I'm almost through my 1st pound of CFE Pistol. Would've happened sooner, but I do like TiteGroup a lot. The 38 gets nothing but HP-38/Win 231. Bullseye is good stuff, I still have over 1/2 lb of it.

CFE does take more powder per charge, but it does burn clean in hotter loads.

12. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

CFE223 and CFE Pistol have pretty much become my standard for the 223 and the 9mm when loading Hornady HAP bullets. They meter well and are clean burning. Still use Unique in my cast bullet 9mm loads though.

13. histed

histed Supporting Member

Fred - CFE Pistol works well n my 9mm and 38 snubbie. I use 124 grn and 158 grn bullets, respectively. Can't comment on the copper reduction, though. I've only used lead bullets. I did find it to be very accurate, fairly clean, and little smoke

14. greg_r

There is no advantage or disadvantage to using CFE Pistol with lead bullets, except that It may burn cleaner than your preferred powder for cast. I personally belive, but can not prove, that CFE helps to keep the barrels clean. It just seems cleaner to me. The military has been using something similar for years.

I do not see it replacing Unique for me when I am loading cast bullets though. If only because I have a few pounds of it and I load just about all my cast loads, both pistol and reduced rifle with Unique, plus 12 and 20 gauge shotgun.

15. Histead, what recipes are you using for your 9MM and .38 Spl. snubbie?
    I try to use my own cast bullets as much as possible, and have most of the Lee molds, but can't seem to come up with an accurate load with lead boolits for my 3 H-P C-9s. Having been getting a lot of "keyholes", especially with the Lee 105 Gr. SWC .358. Any advice on loads that have worked for you?
    Lately I've been trying heavy copper-plated bullets by X-Treme and Berrys, and like the Berrys 124 Gr. hollow base FP 9 MM version. Haven't had time to wring them out but hope to pop some rounds this week, will report on how they performed.
    Cheers, Fred (Honcho)

16. greg_r

I cast the Lee TL356-124-TC. Cast from straight wheel weights, water dropped, as cast - not sized. They drop at .358. Lubed with mule snot and pushed out the barrels of my 3 9mm's with a near maximum load of Unique. They are accurate, and do not lead the barrel.

As a plus, the same bullets also do well in my two 38 specials, also pushed out the barrels with Unique.

Have you slugged your 9mm pistols? What is the groove diameter? Mine were on the large size. I was using the .356 push through sizer. Got barrel leading and keyholes then. I'm kind of surprised the 105 grain .358 bullets don't work well for you. Are they actually .358?

17. histed

histed Supporting Member

Fred, in 9mm I'm using 356-125-2R cast from wheel weights with 10% tin added, air cooled and sized .3575 with a Lee push through. I lube with 50/50 LLA/JPW. 4.5 of CFE Pistol and CCI 400 primers work well. My 38 uses Lee 358-158 TL as cas from the same alloy and lube with the same lube. 4 to 4.5 grains of CFE Pistol works there, too. My best results, however, are with 4,3 grns of Ramshot True Blue in the 9 and 3.2 of Bullseye in the 38.

Greg is dead on with slugging the barrels. My SD9VE slugs at .3565, but my C9 slugged .3601. Same is true with most calibers. My SD doesn't like his TC bullets, the Hi Point ate everything. My Rossi loves the 158 TL, but won't shoot 356-125 RF worth beans. Keep playing, you'll get there. "The Journey IS the Point"