Bead blasting

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by tatters, Nov 28, 2007.

1. tatters

tatters Member

I think the 995 is a wonderful little carbine. The only thing I don't really like is the texture of the external steel parts.

As I was thinking about painting said parts, I want to take the texture down to a more matte finish.

Has anyone bead blasted the exterior metal? I have access to a bead blaster where I work.

Anyone?

2. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

The parts aren't steel, they're a Zinc Alloy. Anyway, several people have bead blasted or sanded the finish down. Most folks polish it for a chrome look, but you could also DuraCoat it, or something similar.

3. tatters

tatters Member

The sheet metal is zinc alloy?

4. No, that is sheet metal. I think Uraijit is thinking about the internal bolt, or he is confusing the 995 with the zinc alloy slides of the Hi-Point pistols.

Bead blasting that bolt cover should be fine tatters. Post pics of it when you get it done, that would be interesting to see.

5. tatters

tatters Member

The bead blasting went well, I got the texture I wanted. I decided to paint all the sheet metal, and used a primer gray as the color, and then proceded to clear coat it. Well, I used Krylon, and I'm afraid it's not going to hold up well. Just isn't as hard as I would like. Also, the primer I used was just a bit too light in color for my tastes.

So..... my plan is to strip it, and use automotive paint on it this time, and use a much darker shade of gray. I want 2 tone, but a fairly close 2 tone.

Has anyone done these covers with automotive paint? Or possibly a suggestion on a paint that finishes up a bit harder? I would like a matte finish.

Thanks

6. i'd like to see some pics of a two tone gray/black 995

7. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Guest

Might I suggest the krylon fusion paint. I used it to paint part of the grill work on my Liberty. It has been in use for a year and looks like new. In the photo it is the red part.Considering the numerous carwashs, road debris and the fact that it is not garaged[I don't have one]it appears to be bullet proof,no priming necessary....[​IMG]

8. blkhwkfxr

blkhwkfxr Guest

New to Forum not sure if it's too late to post this but... I have found that Krylon is a good choice of brands but to do a harded coat on sheat metal your best bet would be to use the heat resistant type. A light sanding is a good idea, primer is optional, but I would highly suggest a wet sanding after first coat dries and applying a second coat. If your single or your signifigant other does't mind the smell, I would also suggest letting the painted part dry in your ELECTRIC over ( dont do this in a gas oven) on warm setting.
    Good luck, hope to see the pics soon.