Beautiful Colt Detective Special in local pawn

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Love old 38's, and a local pawn has a gorgeous 1955 Colt Detective Special. Bluing is about 80 % from wear due to carry. Build quality is perfect, being a Colt. The stocks are aftermarket plastic made to look like the original checkered walnut. A coat of Testors DulCote to dull the shine and they'd be almost perfect. Asking price is $600. A bit much, but I loved holding that old gem.

2. papataylor

papataylor Member

$600 for a detective special is a killer deal in today's colt revolver market. Get it.

3. Grant

Grant Member

This isn't a detective, it's my 357, but people need to see why you want this so bad. ;)

[​IMG]

4. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Although I am not a revolver guy, the Detective Specials are pretty sweet. PT is right, that's a heck of a deal.

5. Browning 9 Guy

Colt

Yes, you can't beat Colt revolvers. Back in the 90's a local gun store had three or four used (former security sidearms) Colt Official Police revolvers for $150 apiece. Wish I had bought one despite worn finish and aftermarket grips.

That's a fabulous Colt! Thanks for posting the pic.

6. papataylor

papataylor Member

I long for the days of $150 Colt Official Police.... I got into the Colt game at the wrong time..

7. Browning 9 Guy

Colts

Aside from outstanding build quality, everything about a Colt revolver is an eye catcher. The unique cylinder latch tab, unshrouded cylinder pin and checkered stocks. No one's ever tried to duplicate one in terms of appearance. The closest anyone's come is a Philippines-made 38, currently made, that matches the cylinder release and checkered stocks. It's on my want list.

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I would love to get a Colt Trooper from the 70's.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

A friend at work has one and asked if I wanted to buy it $500. Would but I have to many items already to buy.

10. papataylor

papataylor Member

I'll buy it from him.

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Come on up he'll sell it.

12. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1425450183.464719.jpg
    I got this from my uncle who got it from his uncle. The barrel only says .38 Special. Nothing else. I sent the info in to Colt to get the history of the gun but haven't heard back. The info I have gathered suggests it is. 1921 model. Anyone here ever seen one like it? Doesn't say Detective or anything else. Only .38 Special. It is very tight and shoots like new. Not pleasant, but shoots well.

13. I rescued a 1950's Official Police for $100, about to sell it to my buddy for $200 on the condition that he NEVER sells it, it is to be passed down to his son, or if he needs cash to pawn it back to me.

14. Detective special, and police positive are pretty much the same gun. It was not uncommon for PP to have their barrels shortened. DS was introduced in 1927, so yours would be a PP with a shortened barrel.

15. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Looks to be a Detective Special Pre-War (First Issue). Have you run the SN# through the Colt site?

http://www.colt.com/CustomerServices/SerialNumberLookup.aspx

It should tell you the date of it at least.

16. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

What model? :D

17. Browning 9 Guy

Wikipedia states that the first run of Police Positive Specials, from 1908 until 1927 had the hard rubber Colt stocks. Some were fitted with short barrells. Detective Specials, which were essentially short-barrelled PPS's, were made beginning in 1927. The first Detective Specials were engraved "Detective Spec" on the left side of the barrell. Monster, your beautiful piece is likely a Police Positive Special. I'd keep that beauty for my grand kids.

18. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

I dd send in pics to Colt's research division or whatever it's called. According to the data base, it's 1920-21, but didn't specify the particular model. Doesn't really matter, just intetested. Everyone who has handled it has wanted to buy it. Been offered $600-900 for it and wouldn't sell it for 10 times that because it's been in the family for at least 50 years, maybe longer. Going to the boy at some point.

19. papataylor

papataylor Member

I highly recommend getting an Archive Letter. It'll give you the entire history of the firearm, including type. To Colt collectors it'll add on average $200-$400 value to the firearm if it already has the letter (making it well worth the $75).

though you don't plan on selling the pistol, it'll be nice to have and a wonderful piece of solidified proof and conversation piece.