Beautiful sight

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Uraijit, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Centerfiresytems.com you can get one for $89.00

2. INFO MAN.

C grades I take it? Matching parts? non matching parts? include grip screw? condition(beyond what we can see here).

If DPH fails to get any in early this week i'm going to buy a B grade.

3. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    How are those kits working out for ya? Have you starting building them yet? The 2 grade C kits I got were rusty, but nothing that won't buff out. Slant brake was rusted/gunk welded on both barrels, but that seems like the worst part... aside from the missing PG screws and nuts, and 1 mis- matched bolt and carrier.

4. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Mine were C-Grade kits, and I just placed an order for 5 more last week. They were all in really good condition, with only minor surface rust issues. Everything should sandblast off nicely.

Got them demilled last week, and will be completing at least one build this Thursday.

If you're having trouble getting the brakes off (mine weren't too bad), you may want to give them a healthy dose of heat from a Mapp Gas torch, this will help it come loose. I always like to spray rusty parts down with some good penetrating oil, at least 24 hours in advance, and then hit it with a torch if need be.

A vice and a helper (to push down the detent) will be a great help as well. Just be sure you're twisting it in the right direction. The muzzles are reverse-threaded, so "righty-loosey", "lefty-tighty" applies. ;)

5. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    I had cleaned up the area around the brakes, and let them sit in some liquid wrench over night, but they were still stuck pretty good, so I put the FSB in a vice, held the detent with wire around the FSB, heated then vice gripped the brake off. One brake got scuffed up a bit, but It's gonna get used towards a barrel replacement setup anyway, so it doesn't need to be pretty :wink:
    I'm working on 6 at the same time whenever I have a minute, and I've never done it before, so it's slow going, and making the tools I need as I go. Hopefully in a year or so, I'll have 1 finished :lol:
    I figure roughly $130 in parts + tools I already have/can make, isn't bad for a compliant AK built on spare time:D

6. Nice collection of kits. I'm thinking on getting 2 or 3 more kits and calling it quits.

Then I shall concentrate on buying receivers.

7. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Huggy,
    there's no replacement for heat in those situations -- it's simply invaluable. I have several extra brakes. If you need one that's not scratched, let me know. Harbor Freight is a great source for some of those tools as well. They have a pair of bolt cutters for pretty cheap that works great for making a rivet crushing tool. Their 20-ton press is also only about $100, and it's great!

Bobo,
    building the receiver is much cooler! I'm about to place an order for a couple of my first NDS-3 recievers, because I'm building one for my dad, and I might decide to sell another one later on, so I want at least those two to be built on transferable receivers. I'll be hanging onto the rest of them though, so bending my own is the way! If you don't have a press and a jig, look at geting a Tapco "improved" flat, and then search "poor man's jig". It can be done without a bunch of high-dollar tools!