Bedside Protection?(Chambered or not?)

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by NeWcS, Dec 12, 2007.

1. NeWcS

NeWcS Guest

I keep my C9 bed side with the safety on and the mag in the gun. Is this the best way?

Or do you keep 'one in the chamber'?

All I have to do is take the safety off and rack a round. Is this the way most of you do it?

thx

-Jay

2. Well, I dont have a C9. My bed gun is a P94 Ruger. I keep it chamber and leave the hammer down with the safety on (which is one in the same for this gun). I have no kids so I don't have to worry about that yet.

My theory is I can work the gun with one hand, in case I have to use the other one to block an attack.

3. Mumbles

Mumbles Guest

Well I have the mag in, nothing in the chamber, but the safety OFF. I don't see the point in having the safety on when nothing can fire without racking the slide. It's just one less step in what may be very tense situation.

4. NeWcS

NeWcS Guest

Great point. That makes perfect sense to me

-jAY

5. Chamber empty, safety off. I have to put one in the chamber to fire. Hopefully this step will help me become aware enough from being asleep that I do not shoot a family member by accident.

6. I carry my Taurus with one in the pipe and safety on, so when I take it off at night it gets put on the night stand in the same condition as I carry. If I need it during the middle of the night I want the same muscle memory working for me then as I do when I carry. This is what works best for me and my firearm. Wife keeps her CCW the same way, one in the pipe, safety on whether its on her person or on the night stand while sleeping.

Consistency is the key, do it the same way all the time and chances are you will not fumble when forced to put it to action. Just my opinion.

7. neothespian

neothespian Member

Well, the manufactuer (and I'm sure I butchered that spelling, but I'm sick today so that's OK) recommends that you not keep a round in the chamber of the C9 due to it's design.

So, with my bedside weapon, a C9, I keep it unchambered with the safety off, in a snap holster. No kids, and I've instructed my girl on how to use it properly as well. She absolutely hates firing it, but she at least knows how to properly operate it.

8. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

bedside is now a p-11 w/ 1 in the chamber and a 15rn mag.

when all i had was a c-9 i kept it unchambered.

9. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    Mine sits on the night stand with one in the pipe and the deocker fliped forward, so thats hammer down but unable to fire. Its a sw model 39. I dont have any kids but do have one on the way so I am thinking about options.

10. Same here. I'd reverse the pipe/safety options with another pistol, but with the C9, I feel a little nervous due to the design. That's not based on any unfortunate personal experience; I just trust HP's recommendation.

11. 1motion

1motion Guest

i keep my .45 loaded, with one in the chamber and the saftey on... if someone bursts in my door ill take my chances with being half awake with a fully loaded gun, when shtf it usually happens faster than you can imagine and i want as few steps as possible between me and my defense

12. My hi power i keep with one in the chamber and the hammer down. In the jhp and cf i keep one in the hole and safety on.

13. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I use my .38 revolver for bedside gun. 6 in the cylinder and ready at any time. With 2 speedloaders right beside it

14. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

XD9 bedside. Chamber empty. Don't need a midnight graugy idiot (ME)
    poppin off an AD just because the cat made some noise down stairs.

15. Ari

Ari Guest

XD9 nothing in the chamber... AK nothing in the chamber. Wife has her 357 with all six loaded.

16. freedom

freedom Member

Any gun I have if it is loaded and ready for my protection has a round in the pipe.
    If the gun has a safety on it the safety is on, any which way, it is always treated with the respect due any firearm loaded or no.

17. Krippp

Krippp Well-Known Member

my xd45 is loaded with safety on, the wifes 995 has mag in, empty chamber. my c9 that i carry daily to work and back has always had a 10rnd mag plus 1 chambered with safety on every where i take it.

18. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

under bed-Glock 17, full mag, empty chamber.
    In closet- 870 marine magnum, full mag, empty chamber.

The human mind requires two to three movements to be aware of what it is doing. Usualyl this accomplished by sitting up in bed in the morning. In a night attacker situation it is possible to draw and fire your waepon before you are fully aware if you keep it locked and loaded.

SW

19. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    In my makarov, I keep one in the chamber and the safety on. I don't want to have to worry about messing around pulling the slide back.

20. 1motion

1motion Guest

i can see why people want to become aware before their gun goes hot but when seconds count if you are half asleep how good are your motor skills going to be to get your slide racked and off safe.

the way i look at it is my house is small... if someone comes barging in im not going to have but a few seconds before a confrontation will occur. im not a heavy sleeper and pretty much anything will wake me up so if something were to go down i can grab the gun and either move to a better position if time permits or if they are already coming in the bedroom i can be ready to fire while laying in bed if need be.

i guess the way i look at it is if you are to asleep to identify an attacker you are probably to asleep to get your gun ready with any quickness

if your gun is locked and loaded you can grab the gun knowing its ready to go then put all your focus and senses into what the situation is and not have to remember to rack the slide half asleep.