Beloit Police Ask Residents To Volunteer To Have Their Homes Searched For Guns

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Dec 8, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Warning - reading the article below may make your head explode, or lose a few IQ points. Proceed at your own risk

http://www.wpr.org/beloit-police-ask-residents-volunteer-have-their-homes-searched-guns

Chief Of Police Says He Hopes Initiative Can Help Residents Begin Thinking Differently About Guns

Police in Beloit are launching a new effort to reduce gun violence in which they're asking city residents to volunteer to have police search their homes for guns.

Police Chief Norm Jacobs said he doesn't expect the phone to be ringing off the hook with requests for police to search their homes. He nevertheless hopes the program will encourage people to think about gun violence as an infectious disease like Ebola, and a home inspection like a vaccine to help build up the city's immune system.

"Gun violence is as serious as the Ebola virus is being represented in the media, and we should fight it using the tools that we've learned from our health providers,” he said.

Jacobs said he hopes some searches will result in the discovery of guns they didn't know were in their own homes. He said that there’s also a chance they’ll find guns linked to crimes.

“That's really what we're looking for,” he said. “Maybe we'll find a toy gun that's been altered by a youngster in the house — and we know the tragedies that can occur there on occasion.”

There have been seven gun homicides in Beloit this year. Four of the victims were teenagers or young men in their 20s — like Melisha Holloway's 20-year-old son Raymond, who was killed in April. Holloway said too many young men have given up on school.

“Pretty much all those kids and young men just need to be is educated,” said Holloway. “You have a lot of them that barely read at a fifth-grade level yet they're 25 year-old-men. But they know how to work a gun. There's something wrong with that picture."

This week, 20-year-old Jajuan Logan was sentenced to 12 years in prison for Holloway's murder.

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'm struggling a little trying to understand the purpose of this endeavor.
    Also wondering how a city council could ever make sense of this.
    Let's go find guns that people don't know they have.
    Oh thank you Officer, you've found me another gun.
    Maybe Melvin or Ajole or Cic need this service.

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

If the people that live their haven't "bumped" into a gun, then how are the cops going to find one? But there are stupid people out there. Some years ago I was sitting outside a laundromat while my clothes washed, and I was talking to the laundry lady. An old guy passing by that she knew stopped and started chatting. There had been a shooting in the area so the topic of guns came up. She said she had one in her house unloaded and the ammo in a different location. That's fine, you're worried more about your kids than an intruder. But this old idiot, says he's got a gun "somewhere" in the house, and he "didn't know if it was loaded"! I just shouted "Well, you SHOULD know". What an idiot.

4. Back2School

Back2School Member

I agree with you about how stupid it sounds but I can see one potential "customer". I could see an elderly woman calling after her husband passes. After my dad passed, I did the roundup. Found half a dozen guns loaded and ready to go in every corner and drawer imaginable. I dont think he was ever more than 6 ft from a loaded weapon. I was really surprised at the rifles that he left loaded and ready to go as well.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    "Jacobs said he hopes some searches will result in the discovery of guns they didn't know were in their own homes. He said that there’s also a chance they’ll find guns linked to crimes."

So...is he thinking the moms of bangers will find their teenage boys have guns, and turn them in?

Or maybe the previous owner hid a gun under a cupboard, and now I can find it?

Or what?:confused:

This sounds like REALLY bad juju to me. The very underlying assumptions are staggering.

6. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Oh yeah and if we just happen to come across something else that is illegal or the gun was used in a crime we will give you a free ride to jail. As you consented to the search the evidence is valid.

7. bluharley

bluharley Member

Yea, if I dropped dead, my sisters would freak out when they found my 3 guns loaded up. They don't even know I have them, they think I'm crazy or something! Silly girls:rolleyes: They'd think I was ready to go on a rampage. Until the found my CCW, then maybe they'd come to their senses. Maybe not, they think a lot of things about me that aren't true.

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

My wife knows all my guns are loaded.........

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

"Do something" desperation.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

"Jacobs said he hopes some searches will result in the discovery of guns they didn't know were in their own homes. He said that there’s also a chance they’ll find guns linked to crimes."

yeah right.... some guy that owns a gun that was used in a crime is just going to 'invite' the cops into his home to come look for it? :rolleyes:

Is that one of those towns that loco-weed is legal to smoke? :eek:

11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

There are stupid people born every minute. Go ahead and let them do a consensual search, and anything they find can be used against you. :D

12. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

She was the one that was wrong. Guns are always loaded. A picked up gun should always be checked do determine whether or not it is loaded. If after checking, it is determined that the gun is not loaded, as long that the person continues to hold the gun and don't put the gun down it remains unloaded. If the gun subsequently is put down (even if it was just put down unloaded) it is loaded. If the gun is picked up again, check it again, because it is loaded. If the old idiot picked up the gun, I suspect the first thing he would do is check to see if it is loaded.

13. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

The police coming into your home is like someone knocking on your door to say I am from the government and I am here to help.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Ages ago, one of my college profs had worked as a Lawyer under Regan. He gave me advice that I've since heard echoed over and over again. Any time LE asks for permission to search anything ALWAYS say no.

Speaking to us college students, he used an example, "If an officer asks to search your car, say 'no' even if you know that there's nothing illegal there because you never know when your room mate or someone else put a bag of weed in the trunk."

Same thing applies to your house, person, phone, or anything else. Always say no.

And never volunteer information. "Anything you say may be used..." applies even if you don't think you're a suspect for anything, even if you're not currently a suspect for anything.

No offense to the upstanding LEO members of HPFF who are, to a man, I'm certain, of the highest caliber. Others are not as ethical as you and may go on fishing expeditions.

"Just say 'no'."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. bluharley

bluharley Member

I got to know her quite well, and I would expect she follows basic gun safety. As for him, he laughed as he talked about not knowing where the gun was or if it was loaded. He did NOT understand basic gun safety. Sure, he would have checked, but what if his grandkid found it and started playing with it, is he going to "check" it? She had made an effort to keep her kids safe, he was just unaware of the dangers.

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

And issue you fines for not enough smoke detectors, missing mattress tags, improperly separated recyclables..... Etc, etc

17. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I can just imagine someone calling the Police and saying "Yes you can search my house for guns. But I have just one question. A Rocket launcher is not classified as a gun is it?"

18. Had a variation of this happen to me; it was a widower whose wife left loaded guns stashed everywhere. I thought I knew all the guns she owned and was surprised by what I turned up weapons wise. The widower was absolutely speechless.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Hah, a little slow today...check Post 5.

It's always the quiet ones you need to watch out for.;)

20. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Actually, I plagiarized that from your post. I just made it larger and bold for more emphasis. :p