Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, yesterday bought the 995, shot and had a problem with the trigger not resetting between shot.
Took it home, and really cleaned it and it seemed to do the trick.
Toay mounted an old armson sight on top and went back to the range...well..... it lasted about 15 shots before the gun started stovepiping and jamming every shot. day over. Went back home and took apart again, bent firing pin.
I e-mailed HP a pic of it as well as a copy of the receipt hoping that theywill just send the part instead of retuning the whole rifle.
I know this gun was cheap but was hoping it would be a little better after reading such good things about them. Am i dreaming that i could ever trust this gun with my life? I have many many gn and don't need this gun for protection but would like to know if it could survive a few thousand rounds. My Uzi has NEVER failed and i undertand they are not apples to apples but if i can't trust this gun i will have to dump it.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
If its just the firing pin they might just send you one and you can put it in. Did you buy it used or new,what stock, and what ammo were you using?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gun was bought new YESTERDAY. ts model, new stock. reloads. reloads aren't a new load, actually tries three different loads i had with me...all proven shooters with every 9mm i own.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i didn't realize that firing pin does double duty. kinda stupid. esp. if the firing pin isn't heat treated properly and will take the gun out of a fight when bent. I really liked my beretta storm esp when it was $450 but traded it even up for an uzi. now that the storm is oer $800 i won't be replacing it. I hoped that the 995 would be a fun gun that was tough.
Oh well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
New gun you need to take it easy a few times till you get used to it and break it in.I never slam in a clip or mag, thats always asking for trouble with any gun, thats Hollywood crap.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
You're the first one with a bent TS firing pin. The pin bending is common on the "Classic" but is caused by slamming the mag in while the bolt is held open.

I don't know how you could have bent the firing pin on the TS, so I would have to assume a defect to someone screwed with the gun before you got it.

Give 'em a call this morning and they will send it out today no questions asked, but I would also ask to talk w/a tech to see in his opinion if you could have caused the pin to bend. Please post back your results!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New gun you need to take it easy a few times till you get used to it and break it in.I never slam in a clip or mag, thats always asking for trouble with any gun, thats Hollywood crap.
then you haven't shot any match's. you ALWAYS slam a mag in so it locks up. a full mag installed on a loaded and closed bolt has resistance to it and I have changed mags on the move only to have it fall out as i was running.
Nothing in the gun world should be "taken easy". guns are to be treated strongly not gently. the only guns i own that i baby are my s-w m-52 target guns. 38 wadcutter only gun that out shoots any other handgun. if only i was as good as that gun!

·
Registered
52 Posts
No I havent shot at those kind of matches I dont do paintball. But I have been around firearms enough to know ANY gunsmith will tell you slamming in a mag or clip is dumb hollywood hype. A firearm is a tool plain and simple. I dont throw my $300 tool around because I need it for my job. I dont mistreat my firearms because i may need it to save my life.Every mechanical moving devise has a break in period. So by your feelings why baby your one gun its a big boy it can take it, Right?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yup. a hammer only works if you hit the nail hard. slides are meant to be dropped not helped. mag are designed to be slammed home. Guns are tools.....tools that have violent things going on...explosions, slides slaming back to a stop then slamming forward till closed.
I'm not going to get into a "who's is bigger" match with but will state that i started shooting at 7, was on the police pistol team at 15, shot nra bullseye matches since 17, started reloading shotgun at 14 and casting my on bullets at 15 as well. My father wasn't into guns so I did it by asking question, listening to everyone and figuring out who knew what they were talking about and those who didn't.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and y th way... I called HP today and they were very nice people, new firing pin on the way and talked to tech as well. Was told NOT to baby bolt and make sure to pull all the way back to cock the pin. I prob short cycled the bolt trying to lock the pin back to dry fire but not far back enough tolock the bolt back. By doing this the firing pin has a position that is out and that is that bent it.
So good people to deal with but a bad design.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow all that and have never ran across a gunsmith. Again not to get into a pissin contest, all I ask is for you to call a smitty and ask them if you should SLAM a clip or mag into a firearm. And I do apologize for being a smartass, you didnt deserve that. Im sorry

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
I bent the firing pin on my 995 by putting in a magazine while the bolt was held back. I use my 995 for home defense, but I generally count rounds while firing and go ahead and reload while there is one left in the chamber so I don't waste time racking the action, and I also don't worry about messing up the firing pin again. If you don't feel safe with the 995 or don't feel that it can be relied on but want a good 9mm carbine why don't you give the Kel-Tec Sub2000 a try? Personally I think the 995 is a great weapon, especially for the price, but they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
as a matter of fact i had Hamilton S. Bowen,work on my redhawk before he was known, robar when he worked at Gunsite ranch (he's a hack btw) and before he came up with his finishes. cylinder and slide did my browning high power. how about a Phillips & Rodgers Cylinder on a blackhawk (bet you don't even know what that is) so it is safe to say.....yea i know a few gunshiths. how about shooting matches with jimmy clark at the smith and wesson invitational (and winning my class thank you) as well as many of the other shooters you read about in the mags. yea i'm not as fast or good but i do, did learn a whole lot from them.
So i'm going to guess...mine is bigger lol.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
and y th way... I called HP today and they were very nice people, new firing pin on the way and talked to tech as well. Was told NOT to baby bolt and make sure to pull all the way back to cock the pin. I prob short cycled the bolt trying to lock the pin back to dry fire but not far back enough tolock the bolt back. By doing this the firing pin has a position that is out and that is that bent it.
So good people to deal with but a bad design.
So wit the if the info they gave you, do you think you can keep it from happening again or do you think this may be a deal breaker for you?

·
Registered
256 Posts
In the "For What it's Worth" department, my outdoor shooting range has adjacent to the pistol range a range designated ONLY for LEO's. When they do our target changes I'll watch those guys to pick up tips. Granted their firearms aren't HP's but two things I've consistently noticed ~ they all pack their mags after loading and they all slam the clips/mags into their guns.

Finishman - sorry about your problem. The good news is that HP has the best warranty/service in the business ~ bar none.

Just my observation.

WR2

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bent the firing pin on my 995 by putting in a magazine while the bolt was held back. I use my 995 for home defense, but I generally count rounds while firing and go ahead and reload while there is one left in the chamber so I don't waste time racking the action, and I also don't worry about messing up the firing pin again. If you don't feel safe with the 995 or don't feel that it can be relied on but want a good 9mm carbine why don't you give the Kel-Tec Sub2000 a try? Personally I think the 995 is a great weapon, especially for the price, but they aren't everyone's cup of tea.
just because it's not my go to weapon of choice doesn't mean i don't have guns just for fun. i got this rifl for my stepson to play with. My uzi is a go to gun for sure as well as anything from h&k i own. i own a s-w sigma and like it becuase the trigger is soooo bad it is a greattraining aid. if you can shoot that gun well you can shoot anything.
i will keep this for the fun factor alone, i plan on painting the cover since the blueing is very weak. maybe a stainless look.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts