Bent firing pin

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by brianinpa, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Uggg!

I finalluy got to take my JHP for a test ride yesterday and was quite happy with it. Three mags and no problems until the last few rounds: the slide just seemed to function oddly.

When I got home and disassembled it to clean it, I found the slide retainer at the extreme aft position but the firing pin and springs were at the extreme forward position. That's odd.

Got it apart and this is what I found:
    [​IMG]

Yes the tip of the firing pin is bent and the firing pin spring is also bent from what have caused it.

Looks like I get to try out the warranty.

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

First call MOM and have them send you a new firing pin and spring set. If you call now you should get through fine. As for the cause I don't really know. Normally they get bent with failures to feed, but you said you did not have that issue.

Sorry you had issues, I have about 350 rounds through mine so far and no issues.

3. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Just call and have them ship a couple firing pins and the spring set. The springs always look like that, the spring is not damaged. You do not have to ship your gun in for this, you'll have new parts in a few days.

4. Was getting ready to call them now, but I wanted to check this thread first.

And with one phone call, the parts are in the mail :D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

My firing pin has been in there for 1500 rounds.
    I replaced it as I bought the gun used.
    A failure to feed, a double feed or any other sort of feeding or ejection issue could bend the pin as it's fully exposed with the slide to the rear.

6. planosteve

And MOM comes through again. :splits::llama::hyper:

7. planosteve

PS I love all the new emoticons :chicken:

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

My firing pin was replaced at 3000 (three thousand) rounds wasnt any more "bent" than your pic, still worked just fine but replaced it anyway since i finally took it apart. Now at over 5000 rounds thru mine. Couple thousand more rounds ill break it down and check on it again.

9. TxGun

TxGun Member

Bent firing pins seem to be one of the more common points-of-failure with HP. IMO, it's something they need to concentrate their attention on. Better steel/heat treatment/design change...whatever it takes to solve. Reliability would take a major step forward and warranty costs would certainly decrease. Yeah, I know this is "captain obvious" stuff here, and certainly HP is well-aware of their warranty issues, but fixing a couple of their more nagging problems would seem to me to tilt the cost/benefit equation more in their favor, and enhance their reputation among rank-and-file gun buyers/owners.

10. SWAGA

Tx,

This has more to do with the actual design of the gun then the pin material itself.
    The pin is fully exposed with the slide locked to the rear.
    The pin is also part of the ejection sequence.
    Extractor grabs the shell and bounces it off the firing pin.
    We had one member here attempt a titanium pin hit it was too brittle.
    In any case it's not a bad idea to just ask HP for a spare pin.
    The design is not going to change and neither is the pin.
    I hate to be a stick in the mud but it is a sub $200 gun.
    I'm sure they can come up with some improvements if we're willing to pay $300.

11. TxGun

TxGun Member

Hey, I hear you Swag. HP has a successful business model they are trying to maintain, and keeping costs as low as possible is an intregral part of that model. That said, I'm not sure taking a step to possibly improve (yeah, maybe the design precludes improvement) the performance of the firing pin would necessarily increase their costs...and, in turn, ours...by that large percentage. All I'm saying is that improving the performance of a select part or two might well make for a major improvement in overall performance, increase reliability significantly, and thereby enhance the company's reputation...perhaps, make that hopefully, at a minimal increase in the cost of the product. Warranty costs would be expected to go down and offset some, perhaps most, of any increased manufacturing costs.

The issue deserves some attention from HP. I'm sure they are aware of all these points. And if they can't do without rupturing their business model, fine. JMO.

12. SWAGA

Don't get me wrong Tex, I ( and most here) wholeheartedly agree with you.
    But HP is just what it is, a very budget conscious product which has it's flaws.
    But look at what we have as a fan base support:

Aluminum trigger
    Wood grips
    Sights
    Laser engraving
    Lasers
    Lights

And in addition for the carbines:

Aluminum rails
    Muzzle brakes
    Muzzle shrouds

It's almost like a construction kit gun, you buy the naked basic piece and start from there lol

13. jcwit

jcwit Member

Not really a hard problem to fix at all. A larger dia. firing pin stepped down to current diameter should solve this without an increase in price. Simple right?

14. TxGun

TxGun Member

I was thinking the same thing...just too much length on than skinny pin which also has to act as the ejector. Stepping it would surely make it stronger. It does seem simple.

Does HP read these threads? ;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  15. SWAGA

So then just the tip would bend? ;)
    It's is what it is, you get then for free and you don't have to change them every mag.

But yes, for a price everything can be improved.

16. So, if I massage a bent pin straight, any reason it won't work again?

This one I already put a pair of needle nose pliers to, so I have no intention of trying it, but if a pin could be rolled straight again without any tool marks, could it still function correctly and have the same strength?

17. SWAGA

Yes....or close enough to it.
    Do it multiple times and it will at some point weaken.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Properly heat-treated spring steel would be a better solution. Probably more expensive, though. On the other hand, Windlass Steelcrafts in India makes super inexpensive swords and knives from various kinds of "spring" steel and manages to properly heat-treat them all at a budget price. <shrug>

Anyway, the problem with the pin bending isn't the size, it's the steel. You don't expect your needle-point pliers to bend do you?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. talon

talon the banned wagon

And now you have a part that costs significantly more to produce, and has only a slight increase in strength. Totally pointless. Look at stepped down aftermarket driveshaft, where do they break? At the taper. Why? Because its not as string as the rest. Same here, the tip ( where it bends now) is STILL a smaller diameter and will still bend. So spending more to not solve the problem makes little sense. Besides, look at some of the numbers, its not like they're bending at low round counts often. Sure it happens sometimes, but its more the exception than the rule.

20. TxGun

TxGun Member

C'mon! "Can't"? Excuses? More excuses? LOL. Of course the part could be improved. And it's not going to mean some huge percentage increase in cost, either. Warranty costs would be reduced to offset. It's a small part that is responsible for more than it's share of failures. It's a "point of failure" and needs to be addressed. "Call MOM and get a free one" is no answer : (. If it fails in a crisis situation...SD/HD...that "free one" may not make much difference to you. Plus, it's one of the things that cause the general public to react with..."Hi-Point? Junk!"

After a long career as hired gun house cleaner, I can tell you the answer for management is...don't accept failures. Don't accept excuses, because everyone has one. And don't accept a (significant) cost increase, because it damn sure isn't necessary. It's a firing pin, for God's sake!!! "Just fix the g** d*** thing" is the instruction. And "yes sir" is the answer! Or find another guy to ask because there is a guy out there who can fix it.

C'mon guys, that's how improvements are made, not by whining and throwing up your hands and saying "can't be done". It's about attitude.

The HP system is a good one...(at least the carbine is, frankly the pistols don't interest me that much). It's a system that is generally very reliable. The FP/ejector bending is one of the recurring problems. Recurring problems are where you concentrate time and resources. That's a no-brainer.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015