Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a small pistol to get for my fiance. I thought about getting another P3AT, but she doesn't particularly care for it and she really likes Berettas so I was thinking of getting her a 950 B or BS (whichever I can find). Do any of you guys have anything to say about these guns? They look similar to the 21A that SW carries, but I don't know much about Berettas and I'd rather hear from someone with personal experience. I know the .25 isn't much of a SD round but she's not comfortable with the larger calibers and can't aim them very well because of the recoil, so I think her being able to hit someone with a .25 is better than hitting everything else with a 9mm.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...well that's something to think about. She likes shooting my .22 rifles/pistols. Maybe I'll just hold off on this and see if I can get her used to the .380, which is what I'd really rather her carry anyway.

·
1,792 Posts
Not to mention the cost of .25acp is right on par with .45acp. just pathetic. my .02$

·
Registered
31 Posts
I qualified for my carry license with a 950BS (long story about the vagaries of the kinds of pistols you can subsequently carry and .22’s not being an acceptable carry caliber in Oklahoma). After the qualification, the examiner asked to take a turn with the 950BS as he was unfamiliar with the gun and his wife refused to carry a .380. He was impressed with the reliability and accuracy and indicated he might consider in as an option for his wife. I’ve never carried it, as I prefer revolvers for self-defense work.

The pistol does have an unusual manual of arms, in that it does not have an extractor. Racking the slide will NOT clear a chambered round. The pistol is single action and if the shooter is right-handed, it can be carried cocked and locked. If left-handed, you have to thumb-cock the exposed hammer as you really can’t get to the safety. The barrel release lever can be used as a second safety, as with the barrel out of battery the firing pin can’t reach a chambered round.

The pistol has a reputation for being extremely reliable in .25ACP. At self-defense distances it is also very accurate. The sights are small but useful, and the trigger pull is short and light.

The magazine release is near the heal of the grip, but if you run dry you should just throw it and run. People with large hands, if not careful with hand placement, will get cut by the slide.

The .25ACP is no “man-stopper” but ball ammo will penetrate to 12 inches (see brassfetcher.com). That said, .25ACP is not a center mass round, it is a center of the face round (aim for the nose). Two thoughts apply:

“A face full of .25ACP bullets should give you the edge in the fistfight that might follow.” And

“A small gun that you have when you need it is better than a bazooka at home.”

Best of luck in you search, match the tool to the task.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the BS is a precursor to the bobcat and tomcat pistols of today. it utilizes the same operation system, and is just as reliable when kept clean.

i dont think teh box o truth has ever handled the 25acp but the above posters numbers sound about right. remember that most (if not all) 25 acp ammo is either FMJ or a very limited HP and penetrates well as teh bullet doesnt expand. its a hole maker and thats about it. i agree with the sentiment a gun in the hand is as good as a bazooka in the safe.

SW

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm going to try and get her a .380. She really likes the Beretta Cheetah (unfortunately they cost 3 Kidneys and an anus) so I may end up having to save up for a while and get one of those, or maybe I can get her used to my Kel-Tec. I'd really prefer to get her a P3AT so we could share mags, but if she doesn't like it I want her to have something she's comfortable with. She's still got a year and a half before she's 21 so we still have time to figure out what to get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.