Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out shopping for handguns, I'm looking at 9mm to maintain some commonality of ammo, and I ran into the Px4 storm for the first time. I can honestly say I liked how the handgun sat in the hand. Any of you have any experience with one or idea how it compares to the Springfield XDM or Glocks? It seems to cost a bit more, but looked like it may be worth it...

Picture for fun:

Beretta Px4 storm

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Too new to have much of a field rep, i feel its what the 9000 series should have been from the start, and it shares many design features from them. the biggest change is the use of the rotating barrel locking system from teh cougar and 8000 series guns. those failed for reasons other than design so its still a basically unproven system.

the whole weapon is geared twoards concealed carry but a larger modified 45 ACP version is entering the Joint Combat Pistol trials. Im not a fan of beretta products (one of the two ive owned blew up in my face), but this may be the pistol that beretta will hang thier hat on for a while. it certainly has high potential if the longevity side of the equation holds out.

SW

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm taking from that that the handgun has potential, but is fairly new and unproven. That's enough to steer me back towards the Glock or XD/XDM. There was something about the S&W handguns looked at which I just didn't like, couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was though.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
I'm taking from that that the handgun has potential, but is fairly new and unproven. That's enough to steer me back towards the Glock or XD/XDM. There was something about the S&W handguns looked at which I just didn't like, couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was though.
Yep. I prefer glock over the XD beacue of grip angle mostly. there have also been a few reliability and parts breakage issues cropping up of late that may tarnish its burgenoing reputation. If you are going to shoot 5000 rounds a year or more a Glock would likely be a better choice. if you shoot a box a month an XD is probably fine.

We all know the legendary glock reliabililty and teh XD has proven itself a worth contender, but not quite up to the glock level just yet. My personal G17 is sitting somewhere around 15-17k since i bought it in 2004 with only a single part failure that was mostly my fault and one parts change (recoil spring) that was suggested by a factory rep.

SW

·
Registered
557 Posts
Was out shopping for handguns, I'm looking at 9mm to maintain some commonality of ammo, and I ran into the Px4 storm for the first time. I can honestly say I liked how the handgun sat in the hand. Any of you have any experience with one or idea how it compares to the Springfield XDM or Glocks? It seems to cost a bit more, but looked like it may be worth it...

Picture for fun:

Beretta Px4 storm
I rented one some time back -- the fullsize 9mm, and it shot pretty well-- at least on par with other Berettas I have shot. It fit my smallish ( but thick) hands pretty well. I would love to get the sub compact as a carry, but I can't swing the cash these days for it.

Felt better than the XD9SC, just don't know which I prefer-- I mean the XDs just feel right to me-- and I know they shoot well...

I guess you can't go wrong with either!

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
You wanna talk longevity? They did a torture test on a Glock... over 300,000 rounds through one with ZERO failures :devilsidesmile:. I'd take a Glock any day. You can't beat that reliability, I know Beretta couldn't, they've had multiple failure reports for the M9 anyway, with the slide cracking and going into the face of the shooter, the frame did fine but it's made in the U.S. Italy has serious metallurgy issues, they just can't make a strong enough metal.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You wanna talk longevity? They did a torture test on a Glock... over 300,000 rounds through one with ZERO failures :devilsidesmile:. I'd take a Glock any day. You can't beat that reliability, I know Beretta couldn't, they've had multiple failure reports for the M9 anyway, with the slide cracking and going into the face of the shooter, the frame did fine but it's made in the U.S. Italy has serious metallurgy issues, they just can't make a strong enough metal.
A magazine did a torture test on a S&W M&P, shooting enough rounds through it non-stop that the barrell started to glow. There was more to it than that as well...passed it all with flying colors.
Wish I could find that article...

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
A magazine did a torture test on a S&W M&P, shooting enough rounds through it non-stop that the barrell started to glow. There was more to it than that as well...passed it all with flying colors.
Wish I could find that article...
the magazine was "gun world" (owned by the same parent company as S&W) and rumors persist that the test was rigged with a ringer firearm that had been specially prepared for the test so as rto provide "exemplary results". i saw the article and while they DID shoot teh thing to red hot, what does that prove? no one is goign to burn that kind of ammo in real life anyway. They completely ignored longevity to show off how "tough" their weapon was. Accuracy is so-so and they ruined a perfectly good firearm doing it. It just made no sense whatsoever.

When they have a 25+ year history of mostly exemplary service as glock does then ill say they are a compareable weapon. Until then they are just another unproven option.

SW

·
1,792 Posts
MHO is to really look at those glocks or XD's, I prefer the XD for the same reason silly cone, ( Pun, ha, ha,) likes the glock. The grip of the XD just fit ME better. Glocks are top ranked for a reason, There history. and XD's will catch up some day.

My suggestion is to not listen to anything you hear, Second hand info dont mean squat. Fingure d!ck a variaty of weapons first and fire as many as possible. What I like may not be what you do.

And good luck.

P.S. Xd's are better then Glock, LOL :) :p

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have fired one and it is a fine pistol. Very accurate and fired with out a hitch. Recoil is slightly harder than my M&P but it is also a smaller pistol.

If I were in the market for a 9mm this pistol would be hard not to take a serious look at!

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I have a Px4 full size in .40 and absolutely love it. I looked at several different manufacturers before pulling the trigger and buying the storm, I have not regretted at all. Comparatively the felt recoil is in my opinion much less than the glock and xd. But honestly what sold me on it was the external hammer and decocker function.

If you want more info check out the beretta forum, there are a few write ups/reviews of the storm that might help you in your decision.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Well if you like the idea of an external hammer and decocker/safety(by the way also ambidextrous when you swap a couple parts) why not add the ambidextrous slide release and mag release and get an HK45c.

Edit: Never mind, you want 9mm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts