Bergdahl Charged With Desertion

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by FlashBang, Mar 25, 2015.

1. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

Soldiers died looking for this deserter, then "we" released 5 terrorists to trade for this deserter. Hanging him would be the only thing close to justice for him.

3. FlashBang

And then we have this from the NYT on it....

"Another question is whether the Army will give Sergeant Bergdahl an honorable discharge if he is found guilty of desertion. For members of the military, an honorable discharge is no small matter, and not getting one can not only hinders a veteran’s job prospects, but also weigh on the entirety of how a service member looks back on his or her career."

Talk about being stupid!

4. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Not a military man, so I really don't know.

but if he is found guilty of desertion, can he even get an honorable discharge?

I mean, it seems like their isn't anything honorable about desertion....

5. what_now

what_now Member

But, but, but he's a hero..... Obama told us so!!!!!!
    It's about time. The investigation was finished in Sept last year wasn't it?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. FlashBang

He11 no!
    Desertion would (should) be a Dishonorable/Dishonorable. Desertion in the face of the enemy will (should) get you sent to Leavenworth for many years, and possibly stood up in front of a firing squad. We haven't put anyone in front of a firing squad since Pvt. Slovak in WWII

Lets see how jugears handles this one... will he pardon him?

7. tallbump

Ok, just making sure.

I mean, in general legal terms, you never know what types of a punishment a conviction can bring.

I hoped an assumed one couldn't get a honorable discharge for desertion, but I really didn't know

8. lsi1

lsi1 Member

probably pardoned by the king he's really good at signing his name. maybe the only thing he's good at accept bringing the nations race relations to where they were in the 1960s.

9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I don't have to tell you what the kids in the military are saying.......... It ain't pretty!

10. FlashBang

Want to pay off the National Debt? Here is an idea:

sell lottery chances at $2.00 each for the chance to be on his firing squad. First 5 numbers drawn gets on!

I'd buy a month salary worth!

11. tallbump

SO, since this is a Military matter, can the Pres do anything?

Of course, I guess he is Commander in Chief, so I guess so?????

12. panoz77

panoz77 Member

So why again was it so important to trade 5 Taliban top tier terrorists for a deserter/traitor? They even gave him a desk job after he came back and paid him.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/14/us/bowe-bergdahl-active-duty/

How ironic:
    "Bergdahl will be assigned to a unit responsible for homeland defense, civil support operations and security cooperation programs involving countries such as Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...c15fca-ec2a-11e3-9f5c-9075d5508f0a_story.html

13. No matter what happens to him, it will all be GWB's fault...

14. Bull

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1427316880.241372.jpg ..............:

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Here ya go:

ART. 85. DESERTION

(a) Any member of the armed forces who--

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another on of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States;

is guilty of desertion.

(b) Any commissioned officer of the armed forces who, after tender of his resignation and before notice of its acceptance, quits his post or proper duties without leave and with intent to remain away therefrom permanently is guilty of desertion.

(c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.

Note: For specific details concerning this offense, including elements of proof, maximum punishments, and detailed explanation, see Punitive Articles of the UCMJ.

16. Bull

Oh I'd like them to take the death penalty off the table, to get him to fess up to collusion with the enemy...... If they can prove that, IMO congress should block and systematically oppose any further foreign policy decisions attempted by this administration......

17. FlashBang

Its time that jugears be formally censured. Let him put that in his legacy.

18. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32027751

19. I remember Gary Gilmore .The executioners song on Netflix.