Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a small gun for CCW that I could carry wearing very light clothes like tank tops and shorts, it gets very hot and sticky here in the summer so sweating may cause shirt to stick. After balancing size, power, reliability and checking reviews Ive just about decided on the Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry 380 or maybe even the regular one. Does anyone have any personal experience with these or have one I may have overlooked?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My buddy has that one and I have the sister to it, the standard Bersa 380 Thunder.

We have found ours to be very reliable and decently accurate.

I think the differences are the grips on the CC are thinner, the barrel is a bit shorter and its been rounded off a bit more than the standard Thunder 380.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
i almost bought a bersa 380 instead of the hi point , until i saw how much 380 ammo was , i'm not paying $18 for 50 rounds that don't even stack up to a 9mm . thats $4 more than the 45's i feed my tommy gun . i do really like the bersa 380's design tho , if only they made it in 9mm . they make a bersa thunder 9 but it's nowhere near as compact as the 380 .

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used mine as my ccw for two years and still do from time to time. Ive never had any issues with no matter the ammo or any other contributing factor
,Pipe

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
heard only good things. I LOVE the design of those guns, just beautiful. BUT - ammo is a killer. I'd be more concerned about being able to afford the practice you should be doing for CCW.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
You might look at the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact. The ammo would be cheaper and I don't think they are all that much bigger.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. This gun will be primarily CC only for my wife or I so could live with paying a little more for ammo but I am gonna go check out that Thunder 9 Ultra Compact.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
The Thunder 380 is my usual CCW during the summer. In jacket weather, I like to alternate with my Star BKS 9mm

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I have a Nickle plated Bersa Thunder .380, and it is one of my favorite guns. The ammo price keeps me from shooting it as much as I like.
Gun is super reliable, and deadly accurate. They make fine, high quality firearms.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife and I both have the Bersa Thunder .380 Duo Tone. I love it for concealed carry. It goes with me everywhere I legally can go with it. It fits nice in shoulder, IWB, belt, fanny pack, or ankle holster and provides nice balance between weight, size, and power.

I also have a HiPoint C-9 and 45 ACP. I do carry the C-9 ocassionally in a shoulder holster but it's a little heavy on the belt and too big for the ankle holster.

I saw a few note the difference in ammo. 9 MM ammo does cost less. I was able to get a 1000 rounds of .380 ACP at about 28 cents a round for CCI Blazer FMJ. But that's about as good as it can get for good ammo. You can get 9mm cheaper.

I have been considering looking at the Bersa Thunder 9MM. You may want to consider the compact 9MM handguns just simply based upon cost of ammo. Otherwise, a Bersa Thunder .380 was my pick for concealed carry.

My wife is wanting to add the Ruger LCP to her options but we haven't got it yet. I think she'll be disappointed once she actually has because while it might be great for concealment and light weight, it's really too small in my opinion for shooting on a regular basis and develop some reliable shooting habits with it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have had a Bersa Thunder 380 Duo Tone since 04, we have over 1200rds thru it so far and not a single complaint. I cant say enough about this gun because its been fantastic since day one at the range. I do recommend you stay well clear of aftermarket mags made by ProMag because they do not work!!! Pay a bit more for the real Bersa mags and you wont regreat it.

If you wife can tolerate a bit of recoil you may want to check out the KelTec PF9. The PF9 is similar in size and weight of the Thunder 380 but pack a bit more punch by using the slightly cheaper 9mm ammo.

If possible take your wife to a range that rents guns, let her rent and shoot as many as possible and let her make the decision as to which one works best for her. Almost guarentee that what feels good in your hands and shoots great for you will not work as well for her, same about what she likes best may not work for you.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I have had a Bersa Thunder 380 Duo Tone since 04, we have over 1200rds thru it so far and not a single complaint. I cant say enough about this gun because its been fantastic since day one at the range. I do recommend you stay well clear of aftermarket mags made by ProMag because they do not work!!! Pay a bit more for the real Bersa mags and you wont regreat it.

If you wife can tolerate a bit of recoil you may want to check out the KelTec PF9. The PF9 is similar in size and weight of the Thunder 380 but pack a bit more punch by using the slightly cheaper 9mm ammo.

If possible take your wife to a range that rents guns, let her rent and shoot as many as possible and let her make the decision as to which one works best for her. Almost guarentee that what feels good in your hands and shoots great for you will not work as well for her, same about what she likes best may not work for you.
I think my next gun purchase is going to be a kel tec pf9, although if i was a richer man i would buy a kahr pm9 wich is similar to the kel tec

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I love my little bersa. I picked it up because I can have it concealed on a belly band when I go trail running. It is one of my favorites and I would not hesitate to purchase another Bersa pistol. I would avoid .380 because the ammo for them costs more than the .45 ACP. I would go with 9mm to keep your size down and also increase your stopping power while saving money.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Hi there...I have the Bersa 9mm UC and the KT PF9 and a Beretta 84 (.380)

For light carry, I use the PF9 but the one I grab most of the time, is the Bersa 9mmUC. I have shot the Bersa .380 and ( I guess) the only reason I have not bought one is that I already have the Beretta but if I did not own the Beretta, I would definitely buy one.

The warranty service from Colorado Gun Works is superb and since it has a lifetime warranty (they call it service contract, I believe) you cannot go wrong. However, since this is a blow back operated pistol, some folks do not get used to it very well. Follow the previously posted advise and have your wife shoot one first, to see if she likes it and if "limpwristing" is not a problem.

Good luck with your choices!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies. After handling many she decided on the Firestorm .380 and after shooting it I'm tempted to get myself a mini 9, 40, or 45.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I've got the Bersa 9 UC (would be the same as the Firestorm mini 9) and I love it.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I saw a "fanny pack" style carry and the C9 was listed as one that would fit.

Just an option when clothing is limited.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.