Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Nowonmai, Apr 8, 2008.

1. I have been considering the 9mm or the .45 ACP version of this gun as my CCW weapon of choice. Does any one have any experience with these particular weapons? I would very much like to hear the pros and cons of either or both of them. Thanks guys.

2. All I got is a Thunder 380 and it has been very reliable and accurate.
    Spot

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Disclaimer: I do not own stock or work for BERSA.

I own a Bersa/Firestorm .380, 7+1 capacity (single stack mag), I'll call it the 2nd generation BERSA.

I love it, it has never had an issue, and the price was affordable. (more than a hi-point, but much less than a walther) With that being said, if these new ultra compacts are anything close the quality and reliability of my little .380, you will not be disappointed. Magazines for the BERSA pistols are spendy, IE: a 10 Round Magazine for that pistol you are looking at is $49.95. Promag makes magazines, but myself and rimfirehunter have had no success with them in our Thunder or Firestorm models.

I hope this aids you in making your decision, but only time sending lead downrange will be the true way to tell if it will suit your needs.

4. I have owned a Bersa Thunder 380 for a few years and its been down right reliable and fantastic.

On several occasions I have shot the Bersa Thunder 9 (big brother to the BT 9UC) and it was every bit as reliable and accurate as my BT380 has been. I have yet to meet anyone who owns a UC model though, for some reason shops in my area just dont carry the UC's.

5. Thanks for the info guys. Now I just need to find one close by thats reasonably priced. :twisted:

6. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

i bought one today.. had it on layaway for 2 months. havent shot it yet.

its the best kept secret in the gun world.. seriously. also lifetime warrenty.

mags arent as horrible as they sound price wise. GOOD 1911 mags are just as much, the 380 has mags in teh mid $20 range.. the 9mm mags are more, about $40, but can be had for cheaper if you know where to look.

i have yet to meet someone who complained about wasting $250-$300 on a perfectly good Bersa.

7. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

JasonJ, I'm not kidding about the BERSA magazines (In SC anyways). I wish that the .380 mags sold for the mid $20 range around here. IIRC I shelled out $32.99 or $34.99 for the spare BERSA .380 mag at a local gun shop, rimfirehunter was there, so he can vouch for me. It's safe say that BERSA mags are not cheap - neither price nor quality, so they are worth the $ (Promag just didn't work well enough for me). It's not horrible, but it's not as sweet of a deal as a HP mag shipped to your house for less than $20. :)

8. Do any of your guys' guns have that internal trigger lock? If so I was wondering if there were any problems with it like those S&W Revolvers were having, and can you disable it or take it out altogether without hurting the Bersas reliability?

9. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Bersa comes with a key... you can lock/unclock with the key... Will post pic of key in a minute.
    As promised:
    [​IMG]
    I love photobucket. Follow the face of the trigger, and it's the hole in the frame. :)
    [​IMG]
    And I never have tried to make my firearm fire with the internal lock on, or anything, but i was taught to never rely on a mechanical safety. So... I keep the key and pendant on my keychain... funny how i see other folks with their bersa keys on their keychains... It's like we're in the same club or something. :lol:

10. I read that the newer Smith & Wesson revolvers with the internal lock had a tendency to lock involuntarily at inopportune times rendering the weapon useless, have you heard anything similar about the Bersas? Should I stay away from ones with the lock or just go for it? I just don't want to get a gun that could possibly screw me at the wrong time, ya know :)

11. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I have not even heard (gossip or hearsay) about BERSA's internal locking mechanism doing anything of the sort. Go put your hands on one already! :lol:

12. I'm going to go looking tomorrow for sure 8)

13. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I will be sure to check those links out when i get home... Works got a filter that blocks everything firearm related but the forum... :lol:
    I'm sure an online store will sell BERSA .380 7 round mag cheaper than $32.99-$34.99, but don't forget to add shipping and handling when pricing something online... stupid filter won't let me see the pages. It was the deciding factor when I bought mine local.
    Respond in PM, as to not hijack?

14. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

well i picked up my thunder 9 today.. impressed. i would definitely buy any of their other calibers..

but we'll see how it shoots tomorrow.