Best 1/4lb burger I've ever made...recipe inside

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kronos, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

The gf's been bugging me to bbq her something since spring is here. So today I did. Turned out to be the best burgers I've ever grilled. So I thought I'd share the recipe. Now keep in mind that I love cooking and would normally agree that an egg does not belong in a hamburger. This turned out to be an exception.

Ingredients -

• 1 pound ground beef
    • 1 egg
    • 2 tablespoons A1 sauce
    • 1 tablespoon Heinz 57 sauce
    • 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    • 2/3 of a 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    • 1/3 of a 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    • 1/4 cup bacon bits (More or less to taste. None of that fake bacon crap either)

Instructions are simple. Mix all this crap together really well in a bowl. Divide into 4 patties, grill over high heat for 5-7 minutes each side (time depends on your grill). Garnish with condiments of your choice and serve. More cheese and bacon are my choices.

2. panoz77

panoz77 Member

So you made a flat meatball with cheese and bacon :D

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

4. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

it's hard to get excited over a recipe without a scrumptious picture to go with it.

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Party foul!!!

6. Pics or it didn't happen :p

Sounds like a great burger. im a grilling newb. tell me to grill burgers i will mix up ground beef and some italian seasoning. maybe an egg if its really lean. stick it on the grill

your choices of sides are as follows. "if its in the fridge you can put it on your burger"

7. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

You didn't make a burger, you made meatloaf. A burger has no egg or breadcrumbs.

8. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

I would normally take pics, but this was last minute and i was in a hurry. There's 1 left, in the fridge, for now.

I know, eggs and breadcrumbs don't belong in burgers. Believe me, I have always been against it.

These were really nothing. My two favorites I make are bacon wrapped chicken breasts, stuffed with bell peppers, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and chives or green onions. The other is garlic stuffed olives, each one wrapped in a thin strip of steak, then a strip of bacon, and slow cooked in a mushroom sauce. I'll be making one of these within the next month I'm sure and will share. Pretty sure I have pics of both on my FB page (from prep to finish).

Iceback, grilling burgers is the easiest thing to grill...right after hot dogs. I'm a huge proponent of charcoal grills (sorry Hank Hill). But for a beginner, a propane grill is easiest to learn on. For burgers it's simple. Hi heat, all the way up, grill a burger 5-7 minutes each side, never "squish" the burger, only flip once, lid is always open.

Hermitt, I've been wondering about those stuffed burger thingamajigs. I wonder how well the two "halves" stay together while cooking. Might need to toss an egg and some breadcrumbs in to keep it together. :D

9. geekandwife

Not if you use a press to get a good seal. I do stuffed burgers all the time, if you use proper fat content mean (not lean) then you don't have a problem. I know I will be in the minority with this, but I prefer my burgers done in/on cast iron. That also then allows you to fry the eggs for the burgers in the leftover bacon/burger grease. (You fry your bacon first, then your burgers then your eggs all in the same pan. You can put some onions and green peppers or chilies in the pan as well and saute them while frying the burgers.

But the best burgers need a burger sauce. Sure plain ketchup and mayo will do for an everyday burger but why not make it great with your own sauce. I normally start out with a mayo base, some ketchup some BBQ sauce, a little mustard, some prepared horseradish, a few bread and butter pickles, some Sriracha, and a bit of hoisen, and then what ever else i feel like for that meal (sweet chili sauce, ginger, sour cream ect ect). Take it all mix it up and blend it with a stick blender to break up the pickles and you have a sauce of the gods for the burger and the fries.

10. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

We like Bullseye bbq sauce and I also throw a little fresh hickory chips into the smoker box that I keep in my grill. Diced onion mixed in with the hamburger meat also is good. Sauteed mushrooms too! :D

Hmmmm... lookin' like bbq burgers tomorrow night for dinner! :p

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Got one, sale at Lowe's for about $4, so I figured why not.

We did Ribs last weekend, do something about once a month all winter, my grill is under a roof on the back entrance, so snow is no problem.

12. desertrider

desertrider Member

Sounds good to me Kronos!

The wife and I share the cooking duties, but I always man the grill. I've gotten into the habit of doing more skillet frying than grilling during the winter months, but this is definitely grilling season.

13. Sounds yummy but No diced onions?

14. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

Lately when i get a restaurant burger i order it with an egg cooked over easy on top. For some reason it really makes it awesome without having to use all that mustard and ketchup crap.

15. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Only grill I got is a George Foreman, and I love it

16. On those stuffed burgers, what drains all the grease out of the "pocket" inside? Had a burger at a restaurant once, after I bit into it and the several ounces of grease inside ran all over me I looked closer and discovered they had pressed two thin patties together to make their thicker burger. Kinda put me off from that process...

Meatball/meatloaf burgers are good, I make them all the time but use the McCormick spice mixes in them. Brooks brand tangy ketchup and some Super Sharp Cheddar, usually. And bacon, of course! Both bits mixed in, and three extra thick pepper bacon slices on top. I leave the egg out though, no need for it.

BBQ sauce, I LOVE Famous Dave's stuff. Great on chicken and pork chops, and pulled pork sandwiches. Meijer and WalMart carry a few selections of his line now.

17. geekandwife

Making the burger properly and using the right meat helps with that. Chance are the burger you had was a lean burger. With a proper made burger you won't have an issue with grease collecting inside

18. Trust me, that burger wasn't lean at all. :eek:

19. Right before i take the burger off the grill i squish it with the spatula. Gets all the greaseyness out. If u squish it while your cooking it'll be dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    BULL likes his CHOW!
    lol

Attached Files: