Best 10/22 conversion kit?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Langford, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Langford

Langford Guest

Hey guys, Im looking into buying and modifying a 10/22 just for the purpose of shredding some paper targets.

So does anybody have any recommendations on some conversion kits for a 10/22 just to get them a little more mean looking? I was checking out the krinkerplinker AK47 kits, but after reading some reviews, I think I will stay away from them.

I have seen a lot of different style stocks for them, but I'm not sure which route I want to go…so pictures and suggestions would be very helpful. I'm not looking to make a super accurate plinker, just something that is fun to shoot at under 100yds.

Thanks,

Langford

2. Langford

Langford Guest

I was looking at that at cabelas, very cool...but I want something with a little more function. That would be a blast to shoot, but I still may want to take this out and pick a few squirrels off and be able to carry it around to shoot.

3. griff30

griff30 Member

[​IMG]
    Been trying to keep from doing this mod. basically a CUT down SBR and whittle a stock and two pistol grips. That with a 50 round drum would be fun.
    Of course you could get a folding black plastic stock and foregrip and cut the barrel to 8". BUT GET THE BATF SBR Licence first!. Thats $200.
    The name of the book is the Ruger 10/22 exotic weapons system. It's a book on how to convert to full-auto. This full auto conversion doesn't work from what I read, but the SBR tommy gun look is awsome.

4. I like the 10/22 in either factory carbine wood stock and barrel band or with a Butler Creek folding stock. The BC folder is, in my opinion, the best folder on the market for the 10/22.

Stay well clear of the bullpup stocks unless you want some bad fitting headaches and really poor accuracy. The sights are a part of the two piece plastic stock and produce patterns instead of groups. The trigger bar has a lot of slop and rarely fits properly without using a dremel and file.

5. unclerob

unclerob Member

6. 1motion

1motion Guest

+1 for rimfires suggestions on the buttler creek stocks. they are well made. i have never bothered to change the stock on a 10/22 because it is just for plinking and varmits. i would rather spend the money on a bunch of .22 ammo of put it towards goodies for a differen gun with more of a purpose

7. neothespian

neothespian Member

*Kackles and evil Kackle*

Those are COOL!!!! Don't have the cash to throw on two 10/22's and the kit, but one can dream :D

The one that has been tempting me ever since I've had a chance to shoot the amazingly accurate and relative recoil-less longgun has been this:

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-2523-970-mwg-muzzelite-bullpup-ruger-1022.aspx

Looks mean and fun, but I've heard mixed reviews of it. Some love it, and some dislike it. I also hear that it limits magazine capacity.

Still, very interesting.

8. rodka

rodka Member

ive seen that there are stocks that turn it into a pistol. i dont think it counts as a sbr but im not sure.

9. Ari

Ari Guest

10. The only thing that keeps me from buying a 10/22 is the lack of left handed stocks/accessories at an affordable cost to the shooter. Those stocks are SWEET, but a left handed version is usually $50 - $100 dollars more than the standard RH version... That's too much to ask IMHO.

11. Ari

Ari Guest

Train to shoot right handed too.. It will save you money it might save your life LOL

12. rodka

rodka Member

ARI's got a good point about training with your support hand. I do that im not as accurate with my left and dont recover as fast but its a good skill to learn.

13. The Ruger charger will be hitting theslves soon (i hope). 10/22 pistol from the factory. Comes with a scope rail, bipod, cool stock, everything you need.

14. griff30

griff30 Member

I have a thumbhole stocked 10/22 and a couple regualr stainless.
    I like the thumbholed bullbarrel for accuracy it can't be beat. Does this count as a conversion? I will post a pic. The stock was unfinished from hornet customs, took 2 months work to do it and my father-in-laws (His was a 10/22 converted to 17 HM2 by me) His thumbhole stock is blue mine red. the process was coat with tung oil, sand, coat, sand, coat,ect about 20 times! then high gloss polyurathane-- 4 coats. Looks like a layer of glass on the stock. Dont know how the picture will work. Setting up a photobucket today and taking hidef pics with my canon rebel 8meg camera.

15. Langford

Langford Guest

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I like the looks of the Boyd's stocks, but Im not sure if thats the route I want to go. I was looking into doing an AK/AR look with the 10/22 but there dont seem to be any quality kits on the market right now. I may just do a different stock and grab a few 50 round mags and have fun.

16. griff30

griff30 Member

[​IMG]
    top is the thumbholed 10/22 with green mountain bull-barrel. Second is stock 10/22 stainless neighbor girl borrowed for 4-H shooting camp (my yearly contribution to shooting sports) Third carbine is my new birthday gift HP 995!

17. griff30

griff30 Member

Again with better light and just the 10/22 custom, still doesn't show the level of shine this thing has.: [​IMG]
    I have had alot of people ask me to customize one for them after seeing it in person. I tell them do it them selves, they will appreciate it more.

18. Pretty swanky griff...that's alot of gloss. As soon as the charger comes available I'll be gettin one...

[​IMG]

19. griff30

griff30 Member

Thanks Taurus
    I have been spending time already looking for just the right scope for the Charger since I saw the pics.
    I like 50mm and glare shades so the scope for my Charger may be as long as the pistol. LOL