Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the post implies, I'm looking to use my 1095 for whitetail deer hunting out to around 100 yards max in a forested environment. Range shooting will also be up to around a hundred yards max, or maybe a little further.

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are as to the best type of optics and magnification level for these applications? Thanks for your time.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Any LPVO will get the job done, really. Or take your pick of the Walmart sub- $100 specials. Depending on your eye sight, anything between 3x and 6x will get the job done. I've got Leupolds, Tascos, Center Points, Bushnells, a Nikko Sterling, and a Redfield. Redfield is Leupold's budget line of scopes and are made in Oregon.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
189 Posts
Redd-Dot/ Reflex of your choice is quikker, and is good past 100 yards...
have a FireField Redd/Green Reflex on my 1095....the FireField has a range of choices..comes wid lense-cover and tools....affordable...Had a 1-4x scope...took it off...good hits on milk jugs out to 200...UMMV.

REDD(orGREEN)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Any LPVO will get the job done, really. Or take your pick of the Walmart sub- $100 specials. Depending on your eye sight, anything between 3x and 6x will get the job done. I've got Leupolds, Tascos, Center Points, Bushnells, a Nikko Sterling, and a Redfield. Redfield is Leupold's budget line of scopes and are made in Oregon.
Thanks for the info. Thinking I may look into a Redfield in addition to a red dot (different optics for different occasions). I'm a big fan of value for the money (hence getting a HP).

Redd-Dot/ Reflex of your choice is quikker, and is good past 100 yards...
have a FireField Redd/Green Reflex on my 1095....the FireField has a range of choices..comes wid lense-cover and tools....affordable...Had a 1-4x scope...took it off...good hits on milk jugs out to 200...UMMV.

REDD(orGREEN)
Ended up ordering a red dot, the Primary Arms advanced micro dot. Will try that and probably a 3-6x scope and see how they compare. I expect both will be useful for different applications.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
at3_astigmatism_diagram_and_examples_large.jpg
I bought a number of cheap red dots and they were all fuzzy and difficult to really shoot precisely. For several years I just accepted that cheap meant junk and if I wanted a crisp dot, I'd have to spend more money. Boy was I wrong, it was my astigmatism. I didn't even know I had astigmatism. A trip to the eye doctor and all of a sudden my cheap optics turned into precision optics. There is nothing I know of that will be as impacted by astigmatism as a red dot optic.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
View attachment 68211 I bought a number of cheap red dots and they were all fuzzy and difficult to really shoot precisely. For several years I just accepted that cheap meant junk and if I wanted a crisp dot, I'd have to spend more money. Boy was I wrong, it was my astigmatism. I didn't even know I had astigmatism. A trip to the eye doctor and all of a sudden my cheap optics turned into precision optics. There is nothing I know of that will be as impacted by astigmatism as a red dot optic.
Yep! I was shooting my Extar9 TRS25 red dot. It wasn't a full dot with the right eye. Full crisp dot with left!

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
The prism sights IIRC circumvent that malady.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got another noob question re: red dots - is a riser needed/preferred for HP carbines? Say, for the Primary Arms advanced micro dot?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts