Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
A beretta Neos is a good gun if you want a semi-auto plus it'll fire standard pressure bulk ammo (very important to cheap a$$es like me)and comes with two of the best designed mags I've ever had to load. Concealability is average for an auto.
As far as new revolvers go the Heritage Rough Rider is a good deal and locally goes for $159 for the .22 and $169 for the 22/22mag. Not to concealable unless you spend the extra $30 and get the shorter birdshead style.
I don't think you can get a .22 DA revolver for less than $300 new. I do occasionally come across used Harrington Richardson revolvers in the $100 to $125 range and I jump on every one I can get. X

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
I like my S&W 22A with the 5" barrel. You can still get them for around $235 and I have yet to a FTF or any feed issues. As for accuracy, I don't like the huge blade rear sight but once adjusted it keeps the bullets very close together.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Lot of good .22 semis out there. Ruger, Browning, S&W all make good ones. I have a Browning Buckmark and love its accuracy and dependability. Hard to go wrong with any of those.

Caution stay away from anything but 22LR. The whole point of a 22 is cheap to shoot large ammo stock piles out there. Yeah I like mags too but getting the ammo can be a trial lately.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Sometimes you can pick up the Remington 597 with a 3-9x scope for around 150.... and Remington always has some sort of mail in rebate. I think mine ended up costing me 120ish.
+1 on the Remi 597. I recommend the Volquartsen hammer and extractor upgrades... really made a difference in the trigger pull on mine.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
+1 on the Remi 597. I recommend the Volquartsen hammer and extractor upgrades... really made a difference in the trigger pull on mine.
truth, but reading this again shows I was lacking some mental acuity today. We are talking about hand guns not rifles. :)

reading comprehension > Zer0DazE

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
The Heritage Arms Rough Rider is a fine choice in a revolver. The Ruger MK II or MK III are great pistols. I own a Heritage Arms Rough Rider with the 5 1/2 barrel and adjustable sights and a Ruger MK II with the 5 1/2 heavy barrel. I very harry with both.

Ron M.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
truth, but reading this again shows I was lacking some mental acuity today. We are talking about hand guns not rifles. :)

reading comprehension > Zer0DazE
LOL... well, I can shoot the 597 with one hand, can't you? ::)

·
Registered
269 Posts
thread hijack...... whats these mods on the 597 yall talk about? the trigger on mine makes me want to sell it, only 60-70 rnds used. as far as pistols i have heard good things about the phoenix hp22.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I recently sold my Taurus PT22(LR) to upgrade to a .380 ccw, but the Taurus was palm sized, held 9 rounds, and was pretty accurate for a 2.5" barrel .22. It was a great gun, just wanted something with a little more kick. I bought it new for 170.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
thread hijack...... whats these mods on the 597 yall talk about? the trigger on mine makes me want to sell it, only 60-70 rnds used. as far as pistols i have heard good things about the phoenix hp22.
Volquartsen makes aftermarket hammers (simple drop-in installation) and extractors (not quite as easy to install, but not difficult by any stretch) for the 597 now that really make a difference. The hammer drops the pull usually a good pound or two (mine is now around 2.75 lbs), and the factory extractor is not well-finished, and can lead to a lot of FTEs, especially once it gets some wear on it. Jarvis makes an entire trigger assembly that is sweet, complete with aluminum housing to replace the crappy plastic factory housing, but it costs about $300. And that is over twice what I paid for the 597, so I did not go that route. $60 should get you both VQ products though.

Here is a great site for all things 597 related: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

Hijack over.

As for .22 pistols, my father-in-law just got the Walther SP22, and it rocks egregiously. I like it probably as well as my mom's Buckmark target pistol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts