Best 9mm Ammo?

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by sarahsmom, Jun 29, 2015.

1. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Hi, I am anxiously awaiting my new c9, and would like advice on ammo. From what I've read I am thinking of eagle fmj for practice, and hydra shoks for defense. Does this sound like s solid choice? Also, don't know which weight to go with.

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Honestly, you will most likely have to try two or three brands, to find which one it likes best.... You may get lucky and it'll eat anything, or it may be picky with some..... But that's most all guns, so have fun and shoot it.... Also helps speed the mag break in, by letting the mags sit loaded for a week or two, loading and loading them several times... And welcome to the forum!

3. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Welcome sarahsmom, I have been using PerFecta, PPU, Herter's, and Monarch for practice. These are all 115 gr FMJ. the PPU, Herter's and Monarch are all made by PPU and are for all practical purposes the same. The advantage of all the ones listed is cost. They are cheap, which means more practice.

As for you HD rounds, get a box of the hydra shoks, but put a few hundred rounds of FMJ through first to break in the gun and make sure you are not having any issues. Then try the hydra shoks. If they don't work there are plenty of others that are just as good. Find one that works 100% and that is the one you need to use for defense. I will take reliability over stopping power any day. If it doesn't go bang and cycle the action all the stopping power in the world is worthless.

4. bradrob

bradrob Brob62 Member

I've had good luck with Blazer Brass, American Eagle, and Speer Lawman. Awful luck with Winchester White Box (WWB).

5. JohanBroad

JohanBroad Member

I've had good luck with Perfecta FMJ ($10.97 @ walmart) and Federal Champion aluminum case FMJ.($9.95 @walmart)

I haven't tried everything out there, but from what I've read, a C9 is not real finicky about ammo.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    My 995 TS loved the WWB so your mileage may vary...

Also worked well in my Browning Hi Power ;)
    But I do not have a C9 to test it in.

I've had excellent results with the steel and aluminum cased stuff, also.
    These are great if you do not plan to reload.

WELCOME to the Asylum, I'm one of the top Nuts :D :dance: :splits:

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Weight? Use the 147 grains for the SD ammo, but it is a bit harder to find in the FMJ. The American Eagle is made by Federal, which is usually fine stuff! Try several, like my good Brother BULL says... :D

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

Just because something works great or doesnt work well at all for one person, doesnt mean it will work the same for you. You'll have to try different brands to find what works best for your particular gun.

9. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

10. I'm partial to 124 gr bullet weight. For practice, I use the cheapest ones that feed reliably. For serious purposes, I prefer Hornady flex tips. :)

11. And this is the bottom line! :)

12. Break it in., then decide. I think the best rounds are the ones you build yourself! But then, that's a WHOLE 'nother story! ;)

13. I can honestly say that I have yet to find ammo that did not work in my 995 and C9. I plink with Tula, Federal and all other sorts of cheappo ammo. I have Black Talons in the C9 for defense...and yes they cycle well too, but I've not shot much of them since they are no longer made.

14. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

If you can afford to buy in bulk you might try a small amount of factory reloads (Blaster Training Ammo) from www.freedommunitions.com, if it works well in your firearm you could then order by the case. This would be cheaper than buying ammo by the individual box at a retail store. Freedom sometimes has promotions on ammo prices or offer free shipping.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  15. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

They changed the name IIRC. Hydrashock

The Critical Duty Hornady get 2 thumbs down in the short barreled 9's. They just don't expand. Shooting the Bull has a good video about them. The Hornady +P American Gunner is good, or the Custom.

Short barrels I am going Hydrashock, any non flextip Hornady, etc I don't own any 4" or longer 9's except when I toss in my 9mm conversion barrel into my Glock 23.

16. TNTRAILERTRASH

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s8I353H4mo[/ame]

17. TNTRAILERTRASH

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGqdMdbir0[/ame]

18. TNTRAILERTRASH

Really I am thinking about just buying a 500rd box of .40,9, and .45 from Freedom with the Hornady XTP bullets and call it a day.

I think all my flex tip H's will go in 995 mags for HD.

Warning! Freedom sells hard cast hollow points. These are not for self defense! Order carefully!

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBPREaj9xF0[/ame]

20. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

But it is down right devastating in 357 SIG.