Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that some inexpensive 9mm's have some trouble with hollow points feeding through the pistol. Which defensive rounds have you tried? Does your gun seem to like some more than others?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I've noticed that my C-9 doesn't like the 115 gr JHP, but does fine with 124 or 147 grain.

I'm not really sure why.

all

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
A lot of something that feeds well trumps any special rounds that don't.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of something that feeds well trumps any special rounds that don't.
That sounds right to me, but I also want a round that packs a punch! I have read that a JHP in a 9mm has about as much stopping power as a .45, but if I am not confident that I can find a heavy duty defensive round that feeds well through the Hi point 9mm, I may decide to buy the Hi point .45 instead.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Anyone shoot Hydra-Shock? I was reading some reviews, and tables of shot effectiveness, and it looked like the Hydra-Shock rounds
scored very well.

G

·
The Corbon PowRBalls are good. They are JHPs but have the little polymer ball in the end so they feed like FMJ. They are light, about 100gr, but they consistently expand to about 17mm and don't get clogged with clothing. They typically run about $26 to $30 a box of 20. Just an option. I have heard others use them in their HPs as well with good results.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Corbon PowRBalls are good. They are JHPs but have the little polymer ball in the end so they feed like FMJ. They are light, about 100gr, but they consistently expand to about 17mm and don't get clogged with clothing. They typically run about $26 to $30 a box of 20. Just an option. I have heard others use them in their HPs as well with good results.
Those look like they just might be the right tool for the job! If I go with the 9mm I am definitely going to have to try some of those! At more than a buck a round, however, I wouldn't want to shoot them very often. If I had a magazine full of them for emergency situations could I leave them in that magazine for some period of time, or would something go wrong with the magazine?

G

·
If I understand correctly, most modern ammo has a pretty good shelf-life. I myself practice with cheap ball ammo and use the PBall for my "business" loads. I don't know of any reason that you can't reserve them for HD, but I would shoot at least one box to ensure that there are no issues. Personally, I haven't done that, but am planning too soon. I have heard good things about them though and that is why I went with them.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah, here are two articles that I found, although one is about .45, the relative performance should be comparable:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CorbonPowRball.htm
http://gunblast.com/PowRBall.htm

This one I included because it has a cross-section schematic of the slug to give an idea of its design:

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/9mm_Luger_PowRBall_Corbon.html

Hope it works for you!
Thanks for the suggestion. Like I said I will try the CorbonPowRball if I go 9mm! but if I buy the .45 I will probably go with whatever is cheapest, that works well. I figure pretty much anything coming out of the .45 has decent stoping power.

G

·
My neighbor has a Glock .45 and he uses the Pballs in it too. It's funny because we never talk about ammo, but the first time we did, we realized we were using the same kind. Pball in .45 runs $30 a box here, and I paid $26 for 9mm.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I use federal Hydra shock and also Hornady TAP hollow points. They have some rounds in the cheaper than dirt mag that are formed with powder cores so when they impact organic matter they dissipate and leave VERY large holes!! When the rounds hit inorganic materials the rounds stay tight and penetrate deeper. They also claim that the powder core perfectly balances in the core of the round when spun after firing making them very accurate. I would of thought the powder core would allow the round to become unbalanced but, they claim it helps balance the round. Oh yeah, They also run about a dollar a round in 9MM last I checked!!!!

G

·
Anyone shoot Hydra-Shock? I was reading some reviews, and tables of shot effectiveness, and it looked like the Hydra-Shock rounds
scored very well.
I indeed have tried the Federal Hydra Shock in 9mm with the 147 grain bullet. Out of 100, i had 0 failures and kept all shots within 4 inches at 75'. I was using my 995 and i have polished my feed ramp. I don't normally practice with the Federals, but I had to test them in action as they are what I load for home defense. My 995 is loaded with them as well as my Baby Eagle .45!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am one of those C9 owners that uses powrball 9mm 100gr +P ammo for SD. Theyre friggin expensive, over 22 bucks for 20rds. Ive been thru 14 boxes to date with no probs. This IMO is enough to prove this rd. Vinas74 those are great articles and they cover all the bases so I dont need to expalin how the little poly ball helps etc etc. IMHO these are the best SD rds on the market today.

G

·
Thanks--glad to know I made a good investment. I have 4 10-round mags loaded with Pball--in other words, 2 boxes. I don't need to buy any more, although I would like to shoot a box. Definitely wouldn't use them for range practice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You definitly want to shoot some to make sure your C9 likes em. Some are like women, very fical. Even hand cycling doesnt prove them. I know they are expensive, but how much is your life worth?(that such a cliche)
Believe me I save all my pocket change and a dollar or 2 here and ther for ammo.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Federal tactical HST in 147 grain +P I get mine from ammunitiontogo.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.